Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:04 #56123

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
SeanChing wrote:
Senior Knight Akkarin,

I acknowledge your opinions, but I respectfully disagree with many of them.

Fair enough lol

I'm in the same position that you are it seems :)
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discordor, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:10 #56125

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I like the prequals, but I think they do have a few serious issues. I think the Phantom Menace was made for children < 10 years of age, and so I think Jar Jar should have killed by Darth Maul and Qui Jon felt a bit guilty so he became unbalanced by emotion when he fought and lost to Maul. Jar Jar had no place beyond the Phantom Menace. Clone Wars could have then been for 8 - 16 yr olds, no Jar Jar. I dont really agree with the video review, as I think they are not meant to be individual movies, but viewed as a set of 6 - unfortunatly the original's look more realistic then the prequals to watching them all back to back makes the eps1-3 feel quite fake with all that CGI. I did like the proposal of that video reviewer for the clones to be sort of a mutant Sith army wreaking havoc allowing Palpatine to rise up in power, that sounds awesome. I guess all those EU books might have meant Lucas felt cornered into a particular storyline which means the new ones do seem a bit of sell out from its artistic potential.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:15 #56126

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
@Akkarin

Those videos are so damn funny. If I had a beverage next to my computer, it would be splashed all over my screen by now...

But, I will comment on a particular thing you said:

"There is also no fundamental subtle moral teachings in the prequels."

I guess it depends what you mean by subtle. One person's subtle is another person's deer in the headlights.

I can think of 3 off the top of my head (in no order of subtlety):

1) When Qui-Gon tells Anakin to quiet your mind and you'll feel the Force speaking to you.

I look it that as meditation and quieting your mind and closing out all the distraction around you. A good thing. A positive.

2) Yoda tells Anakin, "train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." That teaches us a lot and opens up many positive possibilities about fear and attachment

(One of my favorites below, and arguably the most subtle)

3) Qui-Gon is fighting Darth Maul and is starting to tire. He kneels to meditate while Darth Maul paces hungrily. That is an awesome scene to me. We have a Jedi Warrior that is facing someone that is just better/stronger/faster than he is. In his meditation and calming of his mind, he probably realizes, I'm gonna die here. But rather than turn tail and run, he gathers the strength that he has and rushes Darth Maul with everything he's got. He rushes Maul! I don't think he had expectations to live, but he was not going to cower against an enemy.

I think there are MANY lessons, moral and otherwise, subtle and otherwise, we can take from that scene alone.

But again, those videos had me laughing good. I am in debt to you as I will share them with my brothers who are also Star Wars fans.

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah, SeanChing, hellisforhorses

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 12 Apr 2012 22:34 #56129

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
Learn_To_Know wrote:
3) Qui-Gon is fighting Darth Maul and is starting to tire. He kneels to meditate while Darth Maul paces hungrily. That is an awesome scene to me. We have a Jedi Warrior that is facing someone that is just better/stronger/faster than he is. In his meditation and calming of his mind, he probably realizes, I'm gonna die here. But rather than turn tail and run, he gathers the strength that he has and rushes Darth Maul with everything he's got. He rushes Maul! I don't think he had expectations to live, but he was not going to cower against an enemy.

That's one of the first scenes I thought of when you said subtle teachings

What I probably should have said is that the originals had FAR MORE moral teachings and philosophical teachings

They are a lesson whereas the prequels are more of just a fancy shiny new film with flashing lights

I'm glad people have been enjoying them :)

redlettermedia is amazing! lol
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discordor, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 00:52 #56148

Hi all. My computer died on campus, so I didn't get to elaborate on what I mean. Here is why I disagree with you, Akkarin. (After all, I don't think it would be adequate if I just said I disagree without an explanation/forum bumper)

SeanChing wrote:
- A lot more talking and less action in general

- Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him

Akkarin wrote:
You obviously don't understand the entire point of the trilogy then

First of all, I admit that my first statement, less action and more talking, shows that I'm a little superficial about movies in general. However, I like to watch movies because they are exciting, so I don't see a huge problem when I complain that the OT wasn't that exciting.

My second point, however, I will heartily defend. (I'm interested to see if you will agree or try to rebuttal.)

I said that I thought a major flaw with the OT was that "Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him" and Akkarin said that I didn't understand the point of the trilogy then.

Actually, here's why I do.

1) Yoda contradicts himself by acting that way. At first, he acts all goofy and senile and seems as though he has completely lost his mind and is completely incoherent. "Ooh! My flashlight! *Hits R2*"
Then, shortly after, when he reveals his "true" self, he teaches Luke, "A Jedi Must have the most Serious of minds" (something like that). If a Jedi has to be so serious, then why was he acting like such a mindless derp?

Now some people have come up with a flawed explanation that "Yoda was testing Luke's patience", but I don't buy that. A test is (from my experience) structured and by the book so that the tester can test the testee's skills by isolating variables.

When Yoda is supposedly testing Luke, by acting foolish, he goes about it very freely and without thought - I don't even think George Lucas wrote a script for that part. It was just the Yoda voice talking nonsense and yelling "ooh, oh! woah!" and "my flashlight! *Hits R2"

Talk about about a bad Yoda Script. And you guys complain about the prequel's bad dialogue, hmm???

2) Here another way Yoda contradicts himself. Luke asks, "is the dark side stronger" and Yoda quickly says "no no no! Quicker, Easier, more seductive".

If the dark side is "quicker", then why did Yoda reply with such a hasty response?

To be honest, when I watched the Empire Strikes Back for the first time, many moons ago, I actually thought Yoda was on the dark side and tricking Luke. After all, he has that dark side cave (which can confuse new viewer's about Yoda's intentions)and his voice is very raspy which made me think he was evil at first.

Again, some sketchy dialogue in the OT.

Now personally, I love all six Star Wars movies, and I certainly love the OT. However, get real guys! The OT is very flawed, just like the prequels, so it shouldn't be attacked so much, in my humble opinion.

3) I think that one of the reasons why people hate the prequels and love the OT is that the prequels came second while the OT came first. The first movie (out of all movie series) usually gets all the credit, and the movie director can never get a same response for sequels.

Please continue debating, if you feel the urge to! I love to debate about controversial Star Wars topics, especially with you guys, because I know we can disagree and still be a friendly community =)
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog
Last Edit: 13 Apr 2012 00:56 by SeanChing.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 01:19 #56150

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Warning; I love Yoda's character and will defend it to the death!!!

Yoda was being non-threatening, vulnerable, and annoying, deliberatly to ascertain the nature of Luke's personality - remember this is first contact between them. Yoda's was giving Luke a reason to get angry, as many people cannot control their anger and have too short a fuse.

I think Yoda's action would be suitable whether he knew in advance from Obi-Wans Force spirit or premonition, or if he didnt know who this guy was crash landing in his backyard to determine how to deal with it.

I think it is am important lesson in the Jedi way that knowledge is important before making decisions about someone.

I think its actually a quite enlightened response from Yoda. If we look at the Three Pillars of Star Ways Jedi in context of how the Jedi view the dark side as a selfish path, then;

Force - Quicker, connecting to the Force through oneself (selfish) might be quicker then by everything around you (Jedi)

Knowledge - Easier, knowing yourself is much easier then knowing about everything around you.

Self-Discipline - More seductive, self explanatory.

So to answer, I'd say Yoda is well learned in the dark side, and didnt need to think about the response, as evidenced by an immediate reply framed in the context of the Jedi Pillars. So not only is it not sketchy, it could be seen as educative!

I dont think Yoda owned the whole planet, and it might be why he chose to live where he did because there was a dark place nearby - to keep an eye on it and anyone who visits.

Go Yoda!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadi Apollos

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 08:34 #56162

• Lady Skylar
I'm just going to mention the Yoda part.

He was alone, completely alone for 30 years there was no evidence of him communicating with Obi Wan either.

Anyway, if you try to spend even 30 days completely alone you'll go a little bit fruit loopy. Let alone 30 years.

Trust me. That was actually one of the more valid points plus don't we all love Yoda for his quirky behavior that no one can understand half the time? :P

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 10:10 #56164

• Aceboizor
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 7902
SeanChing wrote:
1) Yoda contradicts himself by acting that way. At first, he acts all goofy and senile and seems as though he has completely lost his mind and is completely incoherent. "Ooh! My flashlight! *Hits R2*"
Then, shortly after, when he reveals his "true" self, he teaches Luke, "A Jedi Must have the most Serious of minds" (something like that). If a Jedi has to be so serious, then why was he acting like such a mindless derp?

2) Here another way Yoda contradicts himself. Luke asks, "is the dark side stronger" and Yoda quickly says "no no no! Quicker, Easier, more seductive".

If the dark side is "quicker", then why did Yoda reply with such a hasty response?

3) I think that one of the reasons why people hate the prequels and love the OT is that the prequels came second while the OT came first. The first movie (out of all movie series) usually gets all the credit, and the movie director can never get a same response for sequels.

1) Yoda hardly contradicts himself. He isn't crazy or weird, he's acting. He is putting on a show because he KNOWS it's Luke (he's a flipping grand master after all), and he wants to get a feel for Luke's persona before he reveals his identity. So he puts on an act, something to get Luke's guard down and avoid suspicion.

2) Of course Yoda responds hastily...look what happened to this kid's father! Yoda's naturally going to do his best to steer Luke clear of the Dark Side because he knows what that did to Luke's father. It was a natural "human" response.

3) A movie director can never get a same response for sequels? Honey, have you seen Empire Strikes Back? That sequel got more excitement out of the audience than A New Hope ever did. I know what you meant to say, but when it comes to Star Wars, it's one exception to the rule.

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 10:10 #56165

Sooo...interesting tpoic of debate. Hm.

Well, lemme rub everyone wrong (in a comical way) by stating a few things.

Firstly, I LOVED Epi I, II, III more than the originals. Sorry Folks. I got to see the Jedi Community before it got wiped out, I got to see Gen. Griveous, and let's not forget Hayden Christiansen (sp?) is pretty darn hawt. Which brings me into my second point...

Second: Ewan Mcgregor....hotness. There is NO way to get around the fact that the only reason I loved Obi-Wan on screen was because the actor who played him makes my heart flutter with teen girliness...Also, I think in Ep 1 when he showed emotions...oh man...I lost my brain temporarily because it's totally hot when hot guys cry. (I realize this makes me kinda shallow, but he's an actor so I don't think this counts)

Third: EPIC FIGHT SCENCE!!!!! Yoda v Dooku! (Need I say more? Or has your respect for Yoda grown just a little bit more?) I basically faint just thinking about that fight because of it's sheer awesome.

Fourth: Of the original SW Films (they were all good but I have pref's) Return of the Jedi was my favorite hands down. And I don't feel the need to justify that. Cause lemme tell ya, The Empire Strikes Back *yawn*

Don't get me wrong...I understand the story and messages and whathaveyou behind the entire film concept. For the genre and style and era difference, I don't think the writing was all that terrible. What was created was a masterpiece and I respect it as such. And even devling into the expanded universe which clarifies so much of the story from the films just makes me respect SW more. And the principles and lessons therein.

I am of the opinion that Shakk Ti is a rolemodel for all Female Jedi Masters. She is THE embodiment of grace, power, and IMO stunning Jedi beauty. If I could be 1/10th of the Jedi Master Shakk Ti was I would be honored!

So there's my 2 cents on the matter. Enjoy the scandal :D
"Do not stand at my grave and weep. I am not there. I do not sleep."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amras, Reliah, SeanChing

Re: Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...) 13 Apr 2012 11:02 #56171

• Kalkho
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9870
Personally, I recon that the prequel Trilogy is hated because it doesn't uphold Star Wars as a mythology. And while explaining the Force (Seriously? What for?) is not pretty, those are still some damn fine movies.

Let's look at the biggest duel in the old Trilogy, in Episode V. It seems too stiff for martial arts masters, who can control the world with their mind, doesn't it? Now, the Duel of Fates in Episode I is a true jaw-dropper, with John Williams' ingenious score and few seconds when Qui-Gon meditates; it's a real masterpiece, you've got to admit that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muse
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • A place for prayers (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Every day we face new challenges. Old ones continue and move forward whether we are ready or not. Let us not be impatient with challenges we face. Help us to understand the struggles laid before us. And help us to accept our roles in what we must do. Knowledge and understanding are the tools we use to gain wisdom. Let our actions reflect this wisdom and be true to the path we follow. And let that path be filled with love and compassion. I bid each of you a good journeying this day… May the Force be with you.
    • Is offending a group of people always bad? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: Only good reason will support a claim. So please refer me to the post number where you explained where the practice of justice is difficult? That'd be post #242165. You even responded to it in #242243, if I recall correctly. On the other hand, your "demonstration" that justice is simple amounted to asserting that it is something people either innately have or don't have. But as you said, only good reason will support a claim, no mere assertion can. So would you kindly point us to the post where you supported anything you said so far? Thank you. Quote: The context is offenders that committed a wrong is clear and simple, and therefore always bad. No. That is the context, and the question is whether it is bad any of the time, some of the time or all of the time. You keep insisting that it always is and your reason is that offense is an injustice. I'm sorry but choosing a label for it doesn't an argument make. If you take this position, you have a burden to substantiate it. Quote: But, if someone were to disagree that offenders are not always bad; let the reason speak to support the claim, otherwise the claim is unfounded and unsupported by reason; i.e. unreasonable No, that's not how reasoned arguments work. Dismissing your unfounded claim does not amount to making a claim of one's own. Until such time where you can support your claim with something, I need nothing to dismiss it as unsupported. It is if and only if I were to make a claim of my own that I'd need to bring forth any reason. And as a matter of fact, whenever Wescli - or myself for that matter - have made any positive claims, we did provide reasons to support them. You, on the other hand, didn't even once. Five pages worth of thread later, we're still waiting.
    • Defining Jedi and Sith (Last post by Rex)
    • Well, thank you all who have responded for your thoughts. I completely understand that the temple is purposefully vague, and did this not in the spirit of exclusivity, but rather to anneal my own understanding of Jediism. I purposefully ignored any comments regarding Star Wars sith/jedi lore, and even though I can occasionally nerd out on that, think that this discussion has deeper quality and merits similar answers. I'm not a Sith, I only discovered that Sith(-ism?) is a real thing this week; I have, however, been going through the Initiate Programme and feel that Jediism has much to offer, but lacks cohesive thought. Everyone has their own understanding of Jediism, and this has been mostly a way to question my own. To quote a book I recently read, "If nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted." I don't ask that Jediism creates a ubiquitous system to answer every possible scenario, but do think that the vagueness of Jediism can easily lead to polar opposites flying the same banner while conflicting over who is the "real Jedi." A lot of the posts are people trying to define sith as a mix between the movies and the opposite (or sum) of their beliefs; you have the same questions as me. Anyways, real siths (who happen to be on here) please tell me your opinion, since we've spoken for you in your absence so far. If anyone else want to discuss this, I'd love to have a one on one chat in messages. Quick post-script: Edan, I have briefly read a few things where you talked about your beliefs, and so my comments weren't meant to poke at them, but rather to point out that a traditionalist of any one of those groups might disagree with you similar to how Jedi might argue what Jediism might be (and Sith).
    • Recipes and Goals (Just a thought) (Last post by Codama)
    • Ha, no worries Snowy. Thanks for sharing Shinobi. Maybe there could be a Jedi meal thread. Or a lesson in the IP on things to cook. We could even call it... Force Feed Luke, I am your Cook The Death Starved Can't cook, yet Recipe Cook or cook not there is no hunger Light Savory Jabba the hungry I don't know.
    • Why silence is often the best response to a verbal... (Last post by Entropist)
    • Quote: I think this is the crux of the matter: you are unwilling to see (or incapable of seeing) merit in personal or subjective experience/opinion. An opinion has no merit because of the fact that an opinion is unfounded in reason. An opinion cannot be used to support its own argument, and is also known as the fallacy of circular reasoning. Also, refrain from ad hominem personal attack when there's absence of reason. Escalating unnecessary, and irrelevant force; is the same as raising your voice, or physical attack; are the same branch of injustice when someone has an opinion (status quo) desired to impose but devoid of any grounds of reason. This dialogue belongs on a different thread, and the topic of the current thread is being murdered by persistent and willful disregard to put reasoning on the table to substantiate a claim. So please present reasoning to demonstrate a point has value to contribute to the discussion. Quote: I truly recommend that you try to open your mind to the fact that humans can be messy, emotional, illogical and imperfect, but still give great insight into life, the universe, and everything. You may see yourself as above the rest with your arsenal of reason and logic, but really, you're missing out on gaining a real understanding of human discourse and the reaping the benefits of it. Plus, it makes you seem like a pretentious jerk (which you may not *actually* be). But if you'd rather be right than happy, then by all means, carry on as usual. To sustain one's happiness based on fallacy and wrongness is status quo bias for injustice Quote: But opinions don't need to be justified, and everyone is entitled to them. That is why they are called opinions. What we are not entitled to is agreement from everyone else that our opinions are correct. You can believe that some opinions are unreasonable and you can try to "prove" them to be illogical, but others can still choose to consider that your opinion even if you know it to be fact. If certain Jedi believe that silence may be the best response to a verbal attack based on their own experience, no amount of your (somewhat flawed) logical nitpicking will change that. The actual experiment resulted in data that suggests silence resulted in the desired outcome. That was their experience, whether logic supports the outcome or not. The irony of this entire dialogue is that perhaps the best way to resolve any differences of opinion or to prove the reasonable and logical legitimacy of claims made here would be silence from everyone going forward. :whistle: Wrong because/and of the subjectivist fallacy, which proves entitlement to opinion doesn't exist, and is irrelevant to whether an opinion is true. We are entitled to freedom to speak reason only.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Miss_Leah)
    • I'm grateful for mild nights after the rain where the air feels like silk on my skin and smells like damp earth. The kind of night that calls me out to reconnect with nature in the stillness of the dark.
    • Force Realist TV (Last post by Lleiffermawr)
    • Greetings, The first thing I learned back when I first became a Freemason, which I have brought with me in any spiritual, philosophical, or religious group I have become a part of is that one's political views, should not be focused upon specific candidates or political parties, but more on the issues themselves, and certainly we have a right to our own views, but that sometimes it is better NOT to bring them up. Not because they do not matter. But because they may matter to us TOO much. We become attached to the expectations that our personal views SHOULD be shared with others, and by that I mean that they should agree with us. When they do not agree with us, that is when the natural reaction is to become angry, and thus, lose our sense of balance. That is when disagreements turn heated. We have the joy of living in a Republic, which champions a democratic method of choice. We choose our Senators and Representatives, who in turn vote according to their own views, which they try to mimic what the majority of their constituents decide it legal. We must also remember that what is legal isn't necessarily right. There is a difference between legal and moral or ethical. Thank you for sharing this video, it has given me a lot to meditate upon tonight. And I feel you have touched on something important for all Jedi to take a look at.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Edan)
    • Another one... The sun was rising above the city; I sat on the rooftop of the cathedral, leaning back on my elbows, admiring the bleeding of red and orange sun into a lightening blue sky. The people down below, the few who were out, were small and difficult to make out. I had watched them only briefly when the terracotta tiles had first become my seat. There was a slight breeze rustling leaves, and a pleasant chill to the air, the smell of the morning waking up the world. Footsteps behind, then the familiar presence joined me at the edge. “This is an unusual spot for you” he noted, as he sat himself, legs dangling, over the edge of the roof. “Sometimes I need to remind myself the light is there” I replied, and it was especially beautiful this particular morning. “Pensive?” “Always.” “So tell me about it.” It didn’t matter where I was or what I was doing, there was a warmth to his words that always comforted. Minutes in his company, or hours, he always had the time, exactly the right time, to listen. “Whenever I think I have solved my issues with how I feel, I find that I in fact simply moved them about a bit.” “Well,” he replied, admiring the sun briefly, “that is because it is not a problem that has a solution, as you think.” He tensed a little, “you see, whenever we talk you go away feeling that you’re somehow a little broken still. You put those feelings to the back of your mind and you leave here for a while, you go out into the world and be one of those little people below." There was a shout below us, both looking down to see its origin, it faded, and our attentions returned. “You hold everything in, retreating into yourself so you can be ‘normal’ for just a little while. But then who you really are starts to gain strength again, slowly taking hold and for a while you own that.” Listening was hard and I found that I couldn’t look at him as he spoke, my focus honed on birds on a distant rooftop. “Look at me!” Momentarily I paused, before I broke my gaze and slowly met his eyes. “But, you let the fear of being strange beat you down again. And in the shadows you show yourself only to the little flame, before extinguishing it once the day is done.” He leaned forward and took my hand with both of his, “Be you! In all that you are, in all that you believe, seize it! And don’t be afraid."
    • [Science] - Free will could all be an illusion (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: Thank you for that... "you have the destiny to live out your free will choices" Thats what I have said, lol... :) Edit: Imma watch that tonight... :) id be interested to "hear" your thoughts on it if you do get the chance to watch it and no worries if you dont its a great lecture imo, he always covers a lot of material in his talks, this is one of my favorites, because explains how the big five model of personality came to be, the value of introversion vs extroversion, gives an easy to understand intro to brain and nervous system function, human echolocation and the likely origins of the blind swordsman myth, and the western explanation of maya you should watch this video because he plays it in the lecture but we cant see it, its less than 2 minutes youve probably seen it or at least something like it, but its good to refresh and if you havent seen this version yet you might enjoy it
    • Aqua`s Art Gallery (Last post by Aqua)
    • Horse walk above the clouds: The empty dream journey, a time of silence fly with me, over my clouds hear the wind blowing over your wings hear the wings moving in the air journey in cloud, flight on horseback my emptiness the noble horse Pegasus wild and gentle, moving trough fields bringer of lightning, walk the sky show me your wings Aqua, 26-05-2016
    • Question of the Day (Last post by MadHatter)
    • I have received permission from Knight Reliah to post here until she is back from leave. So today's question of the day is: Do you think the world will be a better or worse place in 100 years from now? Why? Please answer in your own journal.

There are 131 visitors, 3 guests and 22 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Firewolf, Jestor, ren, Trisskar, Wescli Wardest, mdk, Nicole Judge, Avalonslight, tzb, Cabur Senaar, Atticus509, KazamaCaine, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, MadHatter, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Rex, FAT, x57z12, Miss_Leah, CableSteele.

Follow Us