How Did Vader Know Luke's Name?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56088 by
In Episode V, at the climax of the movie, Vader says, "Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power" and continues to tempt Luke to join the dark side. Of course, that's when he does the "I'm you father quote" that everyone on the planet knows about...

I've been thinking about this scene, and I realized, Hey! How did Vader know Luke's name?

Let's review what we do know. We know that Obi-Wan told Luke about Vader (revealing Vader's name to Luke) and how "Vader was seduced by the dark side of the force", explained in Episode IV.

Then, in episode V, the Emperor tells Vader something like "I have reason to believe that he is the son of Anakin Skywalker" and then that's all Vader was told.

So how in the world does Vader know "Luke" - the "son of skywalker"'s first name? Let's discuss.

(Talk about a big movie derp)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56089 by
The Force told him?
Seems logical - that's how he knew Luke had a sister.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56091 by
Yes, I agree - that could be a feasible explanation. But come on! The force should not be an excuse for George Lucas to create a story where certain things just aren't explained but there. Right?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56092 by
Just after Obi Wan is defeated by Darth Vader on the deathstar he says the words 'Run Luke run' through The Force

Now seeing as Vader and Obi Wan once had a fairly strong Master/apprentice bond I see no reason why Vader didn't overhear

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56094 by

Akkarin wrote: Just after Obi Wan is defeated by Darth Vader on the deathstar he says the words 'Run Luke run' through The Force

Now seeing as Vader and Obi Wan once had a fairly strong Master/apprentice bond I see no reason why Vader didn't overhear

Perfect :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56096 by
Actually, if you read the books, you'll know that Luke's name became a known across the galaxy after he destroyed the first death star. He was the star of the Rebellion. So of course the Empire heard about Luke Skywalker, the kid who blew up the death star.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56097 by

Aceboizor wrote: Actually, if you read the books, you'll know that Luke's name became a known across the galaxy after he destroyed the first death star. He was the star of the Rebellion. So of course the Empire heard about Luke Skywalker, the kid who blew up the death star.

That is an even better reason than mine

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56099 by
That's a very helpful piece of information. It's kind of disappointing, then, that in Episode V, the Rebellion decides "it's too dangerous, we must close the doors" and they lock Han and Luke out.

If Luke became such a noteworthy hero around the galaxy and to the rebellion, wouldn't they send a squad of rebels along with Han to ensure that Luke would be all right? They kind of saved Luke through pure chance...This is how they treat heroes?

More
12 years 4 days ago #56102 by Alethea Thompson
No, that would be a dishonor to his Jedi Path. "We know you could can take care of yourself....but we have to protect the last Jedi in the universe.". They wouldn't say something like that.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 days ago #56105 by

SeanChing wrote: That's a very helpful piece of information. It's kind of disappointing, then, that in Episode V, the Rebellion decides "it's too dangerous, we must close the doors" and they lock Han and Luke out.

If Luke became such a noteworthy hero around the galaxy and to the rebellion, wouldn't they send a squad of rebels along with Han to ensure that Luke would be all right? They kind of saved Luke through pure chance...This is how they treat heroes?

To them, while he was a hero, he was just Commander Skywalker, a pilot. He got his medal recognizing his achievement, but really for a military organization that's about the extent of the honoring they would do for their heroes. Frankly, he's lucky he didn't get court-martialed for taking off with a piece of their military equipment.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi