Holocrons and the New Canon

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277078 by
So, the new Star Wars canon (set in place with The Clone Wars, The Force Awakens, Rebels, and Rogue One) has greatly changed the way lightsaber crystals are depicted, pretty much entirely being kyber crystals, with a natural attunement to the Force.

This got me thinking: Wookieepedia describes holocrons as being made of a "crystalline material," but doesn't specify what, and the Star Wars Databank doesn't say much about it either.

Now, I still need to catch up on Rebels and probably read some of the newer materials (comics, books, etc.) but I haven't seen anything about the material. I do, however, recall that they can only be opened by a Jedi, and when they do, they require the Force. Also they seem to "speak" to them (when not opened) and when a Jedi and Sith Holocron were combined they provided some kind of crazy super-vision at high price.

So this obviously leads down to the question: Are holocrons made of kyber? It's supposed to be incredibly durable material, too, so I'm really curious how, if so, it could even be carved to make them. Or maybe there's just a crystal in the center and it's made of something else. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277084 by
Replied by on topic Holocrons and the New Canon
New Cannon dosn't really say. About the most that the new Canon has touched on was in Rebels when Darth Maul and Ezera joined the two sides together.

Old Cannon was dependent on the creator. Just like choosing your right crystal the creator had to choose the right materials attuned to them, which meant every holocron was made of many many various material sources. Bane books also touch up on the creation of them.

But yea. Nothing specifically stated yet

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277093 by
Holocrons cant be opened just by Jedi. They can be opened by any force user in general. This is the culmination of the ultimate prophesy of the whills that both jedi and Sith have misinterpreted.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277099 by

Trisskar wrote: New Cannon dosn't really say. About the most that the new Canon has touched on was in Rebels when Darth Maul and Ezera joined the two sides together.

Old Cannon was dependent on the creator. Just like choosing your right crystal the creator had to choose the right materials attuned to them, which meant every holocron was made of many many various material sources. Bane books also touch up on the creation of them.

But yea. Nothing specifically stated yet

Yeah, old canon was a bit messy, wasn't it?

But what do you suppose? You think they're kyber constructs, imbued with the knowledge consciousness of the Jedi (or Sith) masters who created them? I mean... it seems logical, right?

(I think the Bane books are among those I missed in my Star Wars book binge, I should add them to my stack of books I need to read.)

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Holocrons cant be opened just by Jedi. They can be opened by any force user in general. This is the culmination of the ultimate prophesy of the whills that both jedi and Sith have misinterpreted.

From what I recall in Rebels, Jedi holocrons can only be opened by Jedi. That's the problem Maul encountered, and so he required Ezra's assistance.

Er... where does this notion of the "Prophecy of the Whills being misinterpreted" come from? Maybe there's something else I've missed?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277171 by

Xiam wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Holocrons cant be opened just by Jedi. They can be opened by any force user in general. This is the culmination of the ultimate prophesy of the whills that both jedi and Sith have misinterpreted.

From what I recall in Rebels, Jedi holocrons can only be opened by Jedi. That's the problem Maul encountered, and so he required Ezra's assistance.

Er... where does this notion of the "Prophecy of the Whills being misinterpreted" come from? Maybe there's something else I've missed?

No they can be opened by any force user that has the proper encoding crystal or encryption key. Jedi holocrons have Jedi encryption keys but if you have the key and are force sensitive you can open it.

Yoda actually even says in the movies that the Jedi prophesy might have been misinterpreted. The actual full prophesy is found in the Journal of the Whills. Jedi have misinterpreted it as being fulfilled by the destruction of the Sith. But the prophesy does not say this, It actually says both extremes need to be destroyed in the Jedi and the Sith both for balance to be returned to the force. This will be a return to the philosophy of the Je'daii in the fact that they embraced both the light and the dark side of the force in true balance. The new trilogy is moving towards this concept - hence Luke being called the "Last Jedi". This is also the reason that Lukes attempt to rebuild the Jedi order ended in disaster.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277184 by
Good answer Kyrin !
Some say We all need each other to bring balance

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277196 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Xiam wrote:

No they can be opened by any force user that has the proper encoding crystal or encryption key. Jedi holocrons have Jedi encryption keys but if you have the key and are force sensitive you can open it.

Yoda actually even says in the movies that the Jedi prophesy might have been misinterpreted. The actual full prophesy is found in the Journal of the Whills. Jedi have misinterpreted it as being fulfilled by the destruction of the Sith. But the prophesy does not say this, It actually says both extremes need to be destroyed in the Jedi and the Sith both for balance to be returned to the force. This will be a return to the philosophy of the Je'daii in the fact that they embraced both the light and the dark side of the force in true balance. The new trilogy is moving towards this concept - hence Luke being called the "Last Jedi". This is also the reason that Lukes attempt to rebuild the Jedi order ended in disaster.

But the source of this is...? Where exactly would one read the Journal of the Whills? If the destruction of both is required, why was Luke instructed to "Pass on what you have learned"? He is not the final Jedi, either - the title of the next movie is plural (languages that can show difference between singular and plural have designated it as plural).

When has it ever implied that the Light Side brings imbalance? The Sith are not the counter of the Jedi, they are merely another of several schools of Force training. The two were simply at constant war with one another. As far as I know, the "balance by mutual destruction" is nothing more than a fan theory. George Lucas seems to have intended the victory and survival of the Jedi (and their return, hence Episode VI's title) to be the "good" outcome.

Consider how the Republic existed under the guardianship of the Jedi Order (flawed, but relatively peaceful) to how the Empire existed under the rule of the Sith (control out of fear, legalized slavery, oppression of inhuman races). There is a clear imbalance at work, especially once the Sith began to manipulate the Senate in the later years of the Republic.

I don't think Ezra had an encryption key when he used the Force to open the Jedi Holocron. Meanwhile, Maul was unable, and I'm almost positive it was specifically stated because he wasn't a Jedi. Nothing to do with passcodes, just that he wasn't allowed.

But, I've been meaning to re-watch.

In any case, I think the original issue was that the Force was needed to access the knowledge within, which would greatly imply that kyber crystals are, in some way, involved, right?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277201 by

Xiam wrote: But the source of this is...? Where exactly would one read the Journal of the Whills? If the destruction of both is required, why was Luke instructed to "Pass on what you have learned"? He is not the final Jedi, either - the title of the next movie is plural (languages that can show difference between singular and plural have designated it as plural).

When has it ever implied that the Light Side brings imbalance? The Sith are not the counter of the Jedi, they are merely another of several schools of Force training. The two were simply at constant war with one another. As far as I know, the "balance by mutual destruction" is nothing more than a fan theory. George Lucas seems to have intended the victory and survival of the Jedi (and their return, hence Episode VI's title) to be the "good" outcome.

Consider how the Republic existed under the guardianship of the Jedi Order (flawed, but relatively peaceful) to how the Empire existed under the rule of the Sith (control out of fear, legalized slavery, oppression of inhuman races). There is a clear imbalance at work, especially once the Sith began to manipulate the Senate in the later years of the Republic.

I don't think Ezra had an encryption key when he used the Force to open the Jedi Holocron. Meanwhile, Maul was unable, and I'm almost positive it was specifically stated because he wasn't a Jedi. Nothing to do with passcodes, just that he wasn't allowed.

But, I've been meaning to re-watch.

In any case, I think the original issue was that the Force was needed to access the knowledge within, which would greatly imply that kyber crystals are, in some way, involved, right?

First off Lucas no longer owns the Franchise and so the slanted view of the Jedi prevailing is finally being re-balanced into the true prophesy of the Whills. (an entire set of notes Lucas originally wrote but never brought to fruition). This concept is seeded through out all the latest Star Wars works and this ancient Journal was brought to cannon in the Novelization of "The Force Awakens". And yes, in the world of Star Wars, the Jedi (Ashla - light side) are the direct opposites of the Sith (Bogan - dark side), and both are out of balance with the true will of the balanced force (Bendu - both sides actually a single aspect). Both these factions originated on Tython from the original Je'daii Rangers who could only quell the force storms of that place through the practice of Bendu or balance in the force. This is being returned to through a new refined Jedi Site in the last Jedi's realization that both sides need to be embraced.

It is not in embracing only the light site nor the dark side that balance is achieved. It is in embracing both sides of the force that becomes one single aspect - Just The Force. Your assertion that the time of the Jedi order was a peaceful one is false. In fact wars between the Sith and the Jedi have raged for Millennia during that time. And slavery has always been a thing, even in Jedi times. Anakin Skywalker himself was a slave before being taken by Qui-Gon Ginn through dark manipulation of a dice roll so he could gain an unfair advantage.

https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journal_of_the_Whills

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277209 by
everyone here is way over my head in knowledge!
just to throw this out I heard there were days of the Grays which used both the light and dark side of the force
could it be they were more balanced or one with the force?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277226 by

forceuser wrote: everyone here is way over my head in knowledge!
just to throw this out I heard there were days of the Grays which used both the light and dark side of the force
could it be they were more balanced or one with the force?

No. >_>

It just means they chose to not align themselves with Jedi or Sith. Say you chose to join the air force. That dosn't make you an expert in over all military exploits. It just means your airforce.

Jedi and Sith are SCHOOLS

Gray is a Choice to do things your own way above School Rules. AKA your miscreants, Slack off's, rule breakers, gangsters, bullies.....so forth and so on....

People over dramatize this whole "Balance" Ideal thinking its some god send. Apparently its cool to be above the laws and rules ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi