Jedi & Sith Meditations

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266898 by
Jedi & Sith Meditations was created by
Came across this star wars video that explained meditation practices of the Jedi and Sith. Thought it was pretty cool and well done by the creator.

Consider the emphasis on emotional focus. How in our own lives and thoughts we have a choice of which emotions we feed, the more we feed them the greater they become and impact our lives.

Thoughts?

Jedi vs Sith Meditations

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #266906 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations
I think that there are times for every emotional moment in meditation; we must simply be careful not to choose the wrong one at a given time.

More
7 years 3 months ago #266914 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations
I think both Jedi and Sith variants of meditation have their place. However, I agree with the overall message of you are what attitude and thoughts you feed. In fact, Jedi did engage in what might be considered "Sith meditation" as part of the trials of Knighthood. They would enter a deep state of meditation watched over by a master to face their deepest fears. This meditation could leave one mad if it went wrong.

So what I think is important here is to know that one can meditate to face one's fears, one can meditate to set up responses to situations so that you act not think, and one can meditate to try and concur one's fears. All useful tools. However, we must know that they are tools on the path, not things to rule us. The Sith in the Starwars universe would be mastered by their rage while the Jedi tried to Master their rage. Which is your goal is the vital question here.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266915 by
Replied by on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations
I think the biggest difference would be that outside of fiction, Sith are not big on meditation at all.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266916 by

Khaos wrote: I think the biggest difference would be that outside of fiction, Sith are not big on meditation at all.

Why wouldn't they be? If meditation can be used to form a specific mental state wouldn't sith develop meditative habits focusing on specific emotional memories or experiences to "drive" themselves?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #266918 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations

jag1993 wrote: Why wouldn't they be? If meditation can be used to form a specific mental state wouldn't sith develop meditative habits focusing on specific emotional memories or experiences to "drive" themselves?

There is just as much, if not more, to be gained from meditation for someone using the symbols and themes from the fiction in regards to Sith..... as emotions emerge from the subconscious and meditation is about forging a working articulation with the subconscious. But I"m not suggesting its a good idea, because some of the fiction is just evil and illegal by most familiar standards... so maybe its why real Sith wouldnt!! But like the real Jedi, the real Sith pick and choose and define their own particular elements to populate their path - to the extent Jedi can choose Sith stuff and Sith can choose Jedi stuff :silly: I've known Sith online who do a lot of meditation.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #266924 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations

Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /var/www/html/libraries/kunena/External/Nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 1435

Why wouldn't they be? If meditation can be used to form a specific mental state wouldn't sith develop meditative habits focusing on specific emotional memories or experiences to "drive" themselves?

Act now, think later, let momentum get you through the consequences B)

(Not sure if that video works....)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266967 by

jag1993 wrote:

Khaos wrote: I think the biggest difference would be that outside of fiction, Sith are not big on meditation at all.

Why would I have to meditate, to create a mental state to drive myself?

Passion does not exist in a void, and does not require meditation to want to achieve said passion.

It requires action.

Building Strength.

Applying Power.

Eventually, achieving Victory.

These are not mental states, and the drive is Passion.

I do not focus on memories to drive me. I have plenty to do in the here and now to keep my attention on what I want.

More
7 years 3 months ago #266985 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Jedi & Sith Meditations
And in the spirit of what Khaos said, why would Jedi need meditation either? What is so advantageous or noble or helpful in artificially pushing oneself to a mental state that neither comes about naturally at the time nor is promising to be better than the alternative that does? I can appreciate meditation for what ever therapeutic value some draw from it, and a form of rest that isn't necessarily the same as sleeping, but I have yet to see anything about the principle ideas underlying Jediism (to the extent that there are any) that would need to change in the least if one took meditation out of it. Nor, indeed, do I see much of anything that it adds, aside from a little nod to those in love with the fiction enough to ignore the obvious inconsistencies that arise whenever you have dozens of authors who barely communicate between each other.
On that note, in my humble interpretation, meditation as a pathway to inner harmony is a submission to the outside's chaos; an admission that we cannot fight it without cutting ourselves off from the world for how ever few hours it takes, to deliberately stay out of the world, and to not make a difference in it, and to not focus on the whole picture nor the ever so poetically named "now".

And as for the video, my thoughts are that this is all it is. A video based solely on the fiction and mostly post-millennial one at that. I don't think it should carries any precedent over our own independent ideas on the matter, if we even need any.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #266995 by

Gisteron wrote:
And as for the video, my thoughts are that this is all it is. A video based solely on the fiction and mostly post-millennial one at that. I don't think it should carries any precedent over our own independent ideas on the matter, if we even need any.

that's a decent criticism of the video. didnt think of that.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi