I like the prequel trilogy!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #264877 by
YES, you read the title correctly, I really like the Star Wars prequel trilogy!

*que Darth Vader them* :P

On a serious note though, I don't quite understand why there is so much hate directed at the prequel trilogy. While I agree there are some problems with it, like Jar-Jar Binks and Hayden Christenson's whinging in attack of the clones, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot lines, the characters and the stories!

I think the real reason so much hate was put towards them was because they were different from the original trilogy, and many fans didn't like that. If you look at "the Force awakens" it has a lot of similarities to "A new Hope" and has many designs and concepts from that original trilogy, and it was a huge success!

However the prequels were different, mainly because the bad guys won. With the original trilogy the good guys triumph and save the day, in the prequels they are nearly exterminated! Just because something is a little different though, doesn't mean we should throw unnecessary amounts of hate at it for little reason!

I personally love the prequels, with Revenge of the Sith being one of my favourite movies! On top of that, the Clone Wars series is brilliant!

Anyone else agree/have thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #264880 by
Replied by on topic I like the prequel trilogy!
I agree on Anankin i thought he was very well casted , on Jar Jar not so much , he is too dumb to be true and yet makes it to the great tradefederation , but then again , in light of the last elections...

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #264884 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic I like the prequel trilogy!

Death, yet the Force wrote: YES, you read the title correctly, I really like the Star Wars prequel trilogy!

*que Darth Vader them* :P

On a serious note though, I don't quite understand why there is so much hate directed at the prequel trilogy. While I agree there are some problems with it, like Jar-Jar Binks and Hayden Christenson's whinging in attack of the clones, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot lines, the characters and the stories!

I think the real reason so much hate was put towards them was because they were different from the original trilogy, and many fans didn't like that. If you look at "the Force awakens" it has a lot of similarities to "A new Hope" and has many designs and concepts from that original trilogy, and it was a huge success!

However the prequels were different, mainly because the bad guys won. With the original trilogy the good guys triumph and save the day, in the prequels they are nearly exterminated! Just because something is a little different though, doesn't mean we should throw unnecessary amounts of hate at it for little reason!

I personally love the prequels, with Revenge of the Sith being one of my favourite movies! On top of that, the Clone Wars series is brilliant!

Anyone else agree/have thoughts?

Have you read the novelization of the Revenge of the Sith? It's the second book in "The Dark Lord Trilogy" and is written by Mathew Stover, (the first and third in the series by James luceno) and reveals much more in the relationship between Palpatine and Annakin.

There are "no cheese" edits of the prequels available on youtube, and they really make the Movies a different experience altogether. Although I will never be a fan of Jar Jar, the prequels gave me my favorite jedi of all time (Qui Gon) Darth Maul, Sir Christopher Lee as Darth Tyranus, alongside the literary genius's of Luceno and Stover and the great acting chops of one Ian McDiarmid helped turn my most hated character in the Star Wars mythos into my absolute favorite.

Could the trilogy have been directed better? Most definitely, they're not without their individual hickups and problems, but the positives outweigh the negatives by quite a large degree imo...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #264895 by
See, I am in the small subset of people who actually only like The Phantom Menace. Personally I believe it's because I was still very young when it came out. I actually found (and still find) Jar-Jar to be funny comic relief. Qui-gon Jinn is amazing also and I liked the pod racing scene. It was pointless, but it was fun.

The main reason I like it though is for Darth Maul. Ray Park is a serious bad a$$. I really wish he had a bigger career. (Toad in X-Men? Really Ray?).

Personally I couldn't handle Hayden Christenson's whining. They took Darth Freaking Vader and made him turn to the dark side because he was a cry baby. Plus the mountain of other writing and direction mistakes in II and III. Plus the fight choreography was different, I didn't enjoy it.

I did enjoy the Clone Wars series, but I don't group those in with the prequels.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #264898 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic I like the prequel trilogy!
I like the prequels too...

But I, like some others here I'm sure, am in the position of having started with the prequels (well, Episode I, anyway), before seeing the originals - and I can understand why those who saw and loved the originals first found the prequels a little hard to swallow. Similarly, though I liked The Force Awakens, it's a little bittersweet - it will never be proper Star Wars, not for me...

Given time (such as the time between the original and prequel trilogies, or between the prequel and current new trilogies), people's personal interpretations become personal canon, and it can be difficult to accept new things that challenge that (for example, the huuuge problem that lovers of the original trilogy had with the introduction of the idea of midichlorians, or for me the idea that someone with no Jedi training whatsoever can pick up a lightsaber and duel Kylo Ren or manipulate the mind of a stormtrooper).

But personal-canon-violation aside, one of the biggest problems with the prequels was the, at times, absolutely terrible dialogue. They did better with some characters than others, but if even Natalie Portman - the oscar winning Natalie Portman - can't make her dialogue bearable, you know there's a problem...

But crimes (of writing) against Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen aside, I really do love the prequels (I mean, Episode III usually has me in literal tears - none of the others have ever done that). Some might argue that it's contra to the original point of how Darth Vader was depicted in the original trilogy, but I always like to be able to humanise my villains, and, amongst other things of course, that is what the prequels give us...

Edit: They also give us Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan, and that alone makes them worthwhile...

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, , Brick

More
7 years 4 months ago #264904 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic I like the prequel trilogy!

V-Tog wrote: Edit: They also give us Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan, and that alone makes them worthwhile...

It makes them more than worthwhile. He's amazing in that role.

I like to think they'll get him back to play 'Ghostly-Wan', and that he's been keeping Luke company on that island all these years :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #264913 by
I enjoyed the prequels for what they were standing alone, but a huge part of the disconnect from the original trilogy for me was the aesthetics.

There is something charming about the original movies and the practical effects used. I like that they made an asteroid out of a potato. I like that the dogfights were filmed using actual models and the sound effects were actually recorded rather than synthesized.

The prequels look and sound amazing, but they smack of digital manipulation and green screen magic. A lightsaber duel over a river of lava is awesome, but it comes off as if ILM just wanted to show off all of their new tricks. The look of the movies took precedent over the dialogue and direction, in my opinion.

I know I sound like the ol' fart telling the kids to get off my lawn, but I liked Yoda as a puppet and an actual actor inside R2. :)

More
7 years 4 months ago #264918 by Gisteron
So I just wrote a response to this thread and then saw that it was some 1600 words worth of a treatise... And it's not even going into all that much detail. But I do explain what I think the reason is the prequels don't resonate so well with me despite growing up as they were being released, and what I think was the formula of the originals... It's right on the edge between being too short to cover all things of relevance in fairness but also too long to be a quick opinion piece on a message board...

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
7 years 4 months ago #264924 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic I like the prequel trilogy!
I think they are meant to be watched in one long stint, but of course the actors age across `em. It just seems temporally bent, if that were a thing.

Maybe that is the point, but lately I've been looking past the characters and trying to focus on patterns as symbols. Explains Jar Jar being hard to watch :side:

Might be a bit premature there though, as I'm mostly focused right now on how the originals serve as separate iterations of the heros journey, and haven't gotten properly to the prequels yet but if true, then it might offer some kewl insight - being so stretched out.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #265013 by
No one has mentioned the Plinkett reviews? They are superior to the films themselves, I was hooked on his reviews after watching the first 5 minutes.

(language)

Warning: Spoiler!

You're welcome.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi