Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Sermons
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Proteus)
    • Spoiler: Up until recently I have been alone Leading a tranquil life but never at home Something had changed and I turned to the wind That blew through me and told me, "How long? How long?" Silenced the voice of my heart now for years I was perplexed by a fleeting blank stare Biding my time until courage had build up inside me Then came clean, "Or am I wrong" I spend all my days contemplating my will For the weak shall inherit the earth when it's still A govenment bid for my life I was sold as a cog in a machine, "I walk the line" A fleeting glance again tells me everything Took a chance in vain, drown to a futile idea A pursuit of happiness as the storm rolls in An idol of helplessness, paved the way and then gave in I met with my mother and I asked her why For ten years so more she would never reply Suddenly she said we are all born to die Gave me purpose, freed me, "How simple it can be" But it's fading away from my mind There's another "me" waiting behind But it's fading away from my mind There's another "me" waiting behind
    • Planet discovered orbiting Proxima Centauri (Last post by Sandy Brandoval)
    • From what I have read, they use the "wobble" method as opposed to the Doppler shift to view the planet because it does not orbit in our line of sight, which makes it difficult to discover the atmospheric composition.
    • Our Chemical Romance (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • There seems to be plenty of evidence that drugs affect emotional state: alcohol, nicotine and caffeine to name three common ones and various illegal and prescription drugs too. It seems reasonable that there is a link between brain chemistry and emotional state and in many cases drugs may really help those suffering with, for instance, depression. There are also plenty of people for whom anti-depressants do not improve things. It's clearly a very complex and individual specific issue that may or may not be triggered by external events. When it comes to various natural neurotransmitters and hormones presumably there are genetic and environmental factors. Subconsciously or consciously we do decide how we react to our environment. It seems reasonable to me that some element of 'mind' comes first, 'controlling' the appropriate (or inappropriate) biochemical response which then loops back into affecting state of mind. The brain isn't just chemistry - it's magnetism, electricity and therefore physics too (e.g. bio-quantum processes) so it's quite possible to have different states of mind within an identical chemical backdrop. I think I'm arguing here that even within a completely materialist paradigm - it can't be simply just chemistry! It's also becoming clear that the mind is not solely the preserve of the brain. We are embodied minds and neurotransmitters are released by all sorts of different organs across the body (see embodied cognition: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embodied_cognition for more details). Fascinating stuff! Thank you for all your contributions so far :)
    • Deeper meaning (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • To me, I think, is of the many, many, psibilities this Temple helps each and every one of fnd out for themself. So yes... there is and can be so much a deeper meaning ! If W e choose. Or not. U know
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Seiten Taisei)
    • Maddening moments mediated my mind among arias arranged, autonomous. Details dotted dancers, developing delightful distractions. Intravenous imagery instantaneously ingested. Most minute meanders might invoke irritation instead. galleries of gallows gain hesitating hounds. High handed templars think to tie the thread. But, being bested by babbling brooks emerge enigmatic epiphany! egress! Much might might mess aptly add, adding alphabetically. Do decide deciphering, dont depreciate decrees! Hehehehehe :)
    • Should jedi stay out of politcal office (Last post by MartaLina)
    • I am in politics aswell , nobody pays me yet and thats great , nobody has me in his pocket and nobody ever will , i realise that when i get one a Parties paylist thing maybe would change , but i really hope it does not ...
    • Leaders Eat Last (Leadership in Jediism) (Last post by JamesSand)
    • Quote: What the differences and responsibilities of a leader, a manager, and a peer? Leadership is a Quality. Manager and Peer are roles. I have Managers, Peers, and Pawns (I'm sure there's a better word, but I can't for the life of me remember what the seminar told me to call them) who I consider Leaders. I have Managers, Peers, and Pawns I consider Deadbeats. Oftentimes I find leadership in people who "work for me", as a quality of their character, not because of some god-given right, comparison of salary, or level of qualification. Plenty of people are "The Alpha" in a team, without necessarily being "The Boss/Manager" (I have a Peer who has this privilege - The Boss will make a Decision, but until the Alpha consents, no one acts on it)
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • When you hit that point of saying "f**k it, I quit" and then actually do so cause what the hell does it matter. You're the only one who cares anymore anyway....
    • Cultural Sensitivity/Appropriation and Anger (Last post by Parnerium)
    • Quote: but we reduce thing to their irreducible elements (or the closest approximation we are able) for a reason What is that reason? That's a serious question, not a rhetorical one. I don't think that's a useful practice, for the reasons I explained with the execution of gays example. Cultural appropriation in my view isn't about reducing any acts down to cultural appropriation. It's about analyzing the causes and methods of harm. Yes, throwing people off of buildings is wrong because that is murder. But actually stopping that harm (murder) from occurring requires us to think more broadly than "murder is wrong." We might, instead, need to address other things. As an example, say we're looking at the practice of "separate but equal" in the Southern US. We can say "lynching is wrong because it is murder." But to use that as a justification for why we shouldn't talk about all of elements of race relations that make lynching possible and make it seem acceptable among the citizens would be a mistake. That's part of why civil rights movements didn't start with black people standing around saying "lynching is wrong." They addressed the other aspects of life (separate facilities) that increased the divide between blacks and whites that, in turn, made lynching so common. My interest in cultural appropriation is not to say, "It is wrong, end of story." I think that approach is what you're arguing against when you say things like "its useful to understand the justifications behind various murders, but the wrongness of the act can be reduced to the act itself." That's not my position at all. It is to say that the practice of cultural appropriation can be what creates other harms. Yes, those other harms are the bad part. But where cultural appropriation is helping to cause that harm, I think it needs to be addressed. Just because it is not the "irreducible element" doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile concept. And it doesn't mean that looking critically at forms of cultural appropriation that contribute to harm is useless in favor of just focusing on the harm. Even you said yourself it's useful to understand the things behind murders. We can say that living in poverty causes harm. But if we stop there and never look at what sorts of things contribute to poverty, then we'll never be able to actually stop the harm caused by poverty. Sure, the most basic element of the suffering might be poverty. But there's more to it. And I think it is worthwhile to talk about that "more." I think funding schools based on property taxes is a problem. Not because the concept of locally funding schools is bad. But because poverty is bad. And those practices help to keep poverty alive. In this case, the wrongness of the act is not the act itself. But that doesn't somehow make it not a problem. Reducing the discussion down to poverty isn't useful. Quote: it is likely that all our hypothetical con-persons also eat bread, but we cannot connect the actual harm experienced by actual victims to the ingestion of bread by the perpetrators But we can connect the cultural legacy/reputation of certain practices to how much people buy into the con job. That's why somebody would use the word "Wushu" and not the word "Bread." Because one is actually relevant to the situation and one is not. Quote: is it really worse for a con to pretend to be a monk than to pretend to be an inventor? i mean if a fake monk convinces you to donate to 5 dollars to his fake temple and a fake inventor convinces you to invest your life savings on the prototype to his perpetual motion energy generator, what criteria stand out as being the MOST important factors for deciding the nature and magnitude of the harm? Extracurricular activities are less important than grades when it comes to getting accepted to a college in the US. Does this mean that extracurricular activities are irrelevant because they are not the MOST important factor when deciding the outcome of the application? Is it worse for a con to pretend to be a monk than to pretend to be an inventor? No. Does that mean that the two are entirely identical just because one isn't better or worse than the other? No. Things can be different without falling into some sort of hierarchy.
    • Think... (Last post by Jack.Troutman)
    • Day 13 Preventing a Fall Honor and shame are the same as fear. Fortune and disaster Are the same for all. What is said of honor and shame is this: Whether absent or present, They are inseparable from the fear That they give rise to. What is said of fortune and disaster is this: They can befall any person. By the accident of good fortune One may rule the world for a time. But by virtue of love One lives forever. From the Tao Te Ching
    • The transfer of ICANN (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Cayce if that is indeed the case and they have no ability to deal with particular site names then my fears were indeed over bloated. Networking is not something I will make any claim to have a grasp of so I will trust this to be accurate. Thank you for the explanation. I still am mistrustful of a UN like group as I distrust the UN but it appears like the UN this group would be largely powerless to do real damage. So it looks like I jumped the gun on this one as the understanding I was given via an Irish youtuber made it seem much riskier than I thought.
    • To vote, or not to vote... (Last post by Lykeios)
    • Every election I'm torn between voting and not voting. I don't know that my vote matters but I don't know that it doesn't matter. Also, as an anarchist I think participating in the system is pretty much a denial of my true feelings about government. I only vote because I have to put up with government and I want some say in how things are run. I think the two party system is bullshit and needs to change. Choosing between two people for president is ridiculous, we should have more options. I don't know if I'll be voting this year. I'll have just moved to a new state and won't have time to register to vote before the election. So if I want to vote I'll have to vote absentee or sign up for early voting. Also, as I said, I don't like the idea of participating in the system I don't believe in. We'll see what I decide to do. Either way one of two people will be elected president.

There are 220 visitors, 7 guests and 30 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Firewolf, Jestor, Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Lykeios, Llama Su, rrhodes67, Kit, tzb, Zenchi, Figment, Atticus, Hyrum Tigerprice, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, joe.s.m, MartaLina, Draxuxus, Kyrin Wyldstar, jhannuzs, Codama, Jamie Kay, x57z12, MAGNUS, The Coyote, Leah Starspectre, Jaxz, Parnerium, Dukkah, tanco135, Martial, KristiaRen, Ardainyo.

Follow Us