February breaks global temperature records by 'shocking' amount

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233503 by
Just some climate news. Limiting warming to two degrees centigrade 84 years from now is the goal for avoiding dangerous climate change...

February breaks global temperature records by 'shocking' amount

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/14/february-breaks-global-temperature-records-by-shocking-amount

Warning: Spoiler!

Carbon dioxide passes symbolic mark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22486153

Warning: Spoiler!

What can you do about it:

Do you choose to drive instead of walk use a bike or use public transport? Do you leave your lights on? Your heating on? Do you eat more meat than you need to?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233504 by
The problem with these things is that we get the impression nobody else gives a damn :silly: , i got rid of my car, walk everywhere , eat biological meat 2x a week , turn down the heater , dont have a fridge just a freezer etc etc , but it does not really help anything only make me feel a bit more responsible ..in the big money scheme , i am a nobody :pinch:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233511 by

MartaLina wrote: The problem with these things is that we get the impression nobody else gives a damn :silly: , i got rid of my car, walk everywhere , eat biological meat 2x a week , turn down the heater , dont have a fridge just a freezer etc etc , but it does not really help anything only make me feel a bit more responsible ..in the big money scheme , i am a nobody :pinch:

You may think you are "nobody", but collectively we make up everybody ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233522 by
Every time I step outside and it's unseasonably warm (which is almost every day now) I first smile that it's warm because I enjoy heat, then frown because I know that it's wrong. 2016 is already on pace to be the hottest year on record, which will beat the previous record held by 2015, which beat out the previous record holder 2014. I see a pattern.

Marta, what Akkarin said. You may not feel like you personally can do anything, but the reason we're in this mess is because everyone feels the same way. If everyone (or even just most of us) did the things you do anyway then we'd be a lot better off. Plus, I'll bet you feel a bit better for trying no matter how much overall effect you may have.

More
8 years 1 month ago #233523 by Zenchi
Where I live, people are pretty negative towards bike riders taking up country roads, I often get a beer or soda can thrown in my direction along with yelling and/or profanities as they pass. People for the most part, don't care, and won't until their TV goes away as a result.

The revolution will not be televised...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Cyan Sarden, , Brick

More
8 years 1 month ago #233545 by TheDude
Ah, I'm not really sure if there is anything I could do differently now. Leave the lights off all day, only drive when it's a distance that I can't reasonably walk given the amount of time that I have, eat free range meats (which, in my opinion, is the only way to tip our economy in such a way that factory farms will no longer be viable), stuff like that. Can't give up the car; campus is too far away for me to do that.

I guess the only thing that I can do is vote for a candidate who supports changes based on environmental problems. Otherwise, I can't think of anything practical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
8 years 1 month ago #233555 by MadHatter
Though the Ozone is healing and then there is this study that says air pollution regulations are making the arctic ice caps melt faster.
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2673.html#affil-auth

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233561 by

Akkarin wrote: Do you choose to drive instead of walk use a bike or use public transport? Do you leave your lights on? Your heating on? Do you eat more meat than you need to?

It is so easy to despair when seeing things like this. You can't give in to fear. Where there is despair... hope.

I intend to eat less meat and to turn the heat down this week in response to this article. Maybe some others will too.

Thank you, Akkarin :)

More
8 years 1 month ago #233792 by Loudzoo
This is a video that may give you some hope. Its 1hr 30 mins but if you care about this stuff it is WELL worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H79-s2fOLh4

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #233973 by
I saw something on Facebook recently that I found quite interesting. A new drone that seeds the ground with tree sprouts from the air. I forget the numbers they projected a small fleet of these things would be able to plant, but it certainly looked impressive. I've been saying for a few years now that I want to go live in a tree somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi