Once Again, Scientists Conclude That There's No Evidence That Homeopathy Works

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #205177 by
I'm really glad this was posted. I thought herbal medicine and homeopathy were synonymous. This was an incorrect assumption on my part. Now that I've actually read a bit, homeopathy seems a little silly. Take a product, dilute it until there is no more product left, then use to treat illness.

Herbal medicine I will still stand behind. Plants contain chemical and molecules that can be beneficial if used correctly and can be backed by science. Look at the recent Nobel Prize given to the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences. A treatment for malaria found in herbs used for 1000s of years in China. Ancient herbal remedies backed up by research and fact.

So in the end, I agree with OP, homeopathy doesn't make scientific sense. That should be taken with the understanding that it is different from herbal medicine, something I didn't understand when I first read the post. Interesting read, thanks all for sharing.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247031 by
I honestly cannot understand this reverence for the placebo effect, mentioned in a few comments above. During my Psychology degree we are taught that for a study to conclude the placebo effect, is one of the least desired responses. That in some cases this warrants a re-examination of the test conditions to determine if anything unwanted has gummed up the effort.

I would opine that it is safe to say that so long as an actual medical treatment repeatedly stands up to scrutiny, premise and all, and is not superseded by a better treatment, then it deserves a privileged place in the medical literature and hold priority during considerations of best practise medical policy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247064 by
Why kill the best working placebo there is?

Best
Kc

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247072 by
The problem isn't with the placebo effect. The problem is with people purposefully not using the actual best medicine in favor of the placebo effect. That is not a good thing and is dangerous.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247075 by
I agree with that. So take homeopathy off OTC. It should be given by a doc anyway. Helps the effect, even.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247078 by MadHatter

Kaccani wrote: I agree with that. So take homeopathy off OTC. It should be given by a doc anyway. Helps the effect, even.

I totally disagree with this. People should be able to put what they want into their bodies. I dont care if its good for them or not its their body to do with as they wish. Sure people may make stupid choices but its their right to make those choices.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

More
7 years 9 months ago #247080 by Leah Starspectre
Yes people ought to be free to ingest what they like. If homeopathy is bunk though, and doctors (who are in a position of power and influence) continue to recommend it, that is a problem.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247081 by

MadHatter wrote:

Kaccani wrote: I agree with that. So take homeopathy off OTC. It should be given by a doc anyway. Helps the effect, even.

I totally disagree with this. People should be able to put what they want into their bodies. I dont care if its good for them or not its their body to do with as they wish. Sure people may make stupid choices but its their right to make those choices.

While that is true, they end up teaching their children those same mistakes and trying to convince their friends to make those same mistakes. I agree that people can put whatever they want into their own bodies, but they shouldn't be trying to influence others to do harmful things. I also think it's worth while to try to tell people that what they're doing is harmful, or at least not helpful, especially if I care about that person.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247082 by MadHatter

Miss_Leah wrote: Yes people ought to be free to ingest what they like. If homeopathy is bunk though, and doctors (who are in a position of power and influence) continue to recommend it, that is a problem.

I've never seen a doctor do that and would think that their local medical boards would strip the licences of a doctor for such a thing. However if their are actual medical doctors doing this yes I agree with you that this is an issue but that doesnt mean ban the homeopathic stuff which is the only thing I was really referencing.

Goken wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

While that is true, they end up teaching their children those same mistakes and trying to convince their friends to make those same mistakes. I agree that people can put whatever they want into their own bodies, but they shouldn't be trying to influence others to do harmful things. I also think it's worth while to try to tell people that what they're doing is harmful, or at least not helpful, especially if I care about that person.

Well it should be up to their children as they get older and their friends to do the reseach to check these "facts" out. I agree its ok to point out false data but telling people what they can and cant share information wise is iffy to me. Worse still was the idea that we should ban homeopathic stuff. Mostly my comment was we should not ban things simply because people might do stupid stuff with them. If people want to ignore doctors and not research facts before trusting something as medicine that really is on their own head.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247083 by

MadHatter wrote: People should be able to put what they want into their bodies.

It's not just their bodies .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi