Who's your favorite philosopher?

More
8 years 4 months ago #211135 by Lykeios Little Raven

RyuJin wrote: how did i miss this thread?

my favorite philosopher.... easy myself B)

Thanks RyuJin! I feel the same way now. I haven't been able to say that in a LOOOONG time. Whew.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211138 by
Replied by on topic Who's your favorite philosopher?
While this might not be my favorite philosopher, Deepak Chopra wrote an extremely well written philosophy book "The Way of The Wizard." I highly recommended it and is a good book to meditate to. Each chapter is small but creates deep thought processes and should be taken slowly.

More
8 years 4 months ago #211141 by Lykeios Little Raven

Anubis wrote: While this might not be my favorite philosopher, Deepak Chopra wrote an extremely well written philosophy book "The Way of The Wizard." I highly recommended it and is a good book to meditate to. Each chapter is small but creates deep thought processes and should be taken slowly.

Thank you. Is this in the Library? Here at TOTJo I mean?

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211145 by
Sorry I'm very new and wasn't even aware there was a library here

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211150 by

Attachment hc12ad96.png not found

I am sad that it is not more prominent myself. But, it is highlighted here. It is at the bottom of the page!
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #211205 by
Thank you, not sure how I missed that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #213210 by
I agree with an earlier comment that your "favorite philosopher" is like your "favorite book" and usually ends up changing depending on what is going on in your life. I would say Kant is one of my all time favorites. I do love his efforts to synthesize logic and a good moral code (even if most people don't buy it). I haven't read Marcus Aurelius but I am beginning to notice him more and he does seem like somebody I would like. I also enjoy reading Machiavelli, Locke, Rousseau, Nietzsche, Rawls, Nozick, Foucault, and John Stuart-Mill. I believe that there is always at least a little bit to take from every philosopher.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #218513 by
I know he's famous for other things, but I have always enjoyed the philosophies of Bruce Lee.
He said that in life, like in martial arts, “Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”.
His teachings were amazing. His goal was to be true to himself and his teachings were to inspire others to be true to themselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287173 by
Albert Camus has had the greatest influence on my own life. Especially Myth of The Sisyphus and The Rebel. The distinctions between philosophic suicide, suicide and rebirth is quite wonderful

More
3 years 7 months ago #354007 by Diana W
Albert Camus and Fredrick Nietzsche are the ones I go back to often.
Also, not a "philosopher", but I often read the complete works of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow as a 'bible' for reflection and inspiration.

Journals:
. IP . Apprentice . Personal . Healing . Degree . Seminary

Previous: House of Orion
Previous TM : Zero

Life is a sum of all your choices; So, what are you doing today?
― Albert Camus

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi