Replied by on topic Down's Syndrome...
Quite true, on all accounts.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #156936 by
This is a tough topic. As previously stated abortion is touchy enough, adding the dehumanizing of people with disabilities and its a wildfire waiting to happen. Part of this is because most people believe that if someone's opinion differs from their own that person must be corrected because they are wrong. This is not the most effective way to handle a differing of opinions.

For my own part I never knew where I'd lie on the abortion debate until my girlfriend and I had a pregnancy scare. She said she'd want to abort it and and right there and then I knew where I stood. That was my child, a person I helped create, and she'd kill it because it would inconvenience her.

But I do believe that it's everyone's choice and I'll respect that.

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #156947 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Down's Syndrome...
You see, I'm 100% with dawkins on this one.

And the reason why is simple... Of all the abortions people can have, you can categorize them in two groups:

- Because I don't want it (Or now's not the right time)or because it's my body and I do what I want (yet somehow people aren't quite as keen when it comes to chopping their own legs off: these are actual parts of their body)
- Because there's something wrong with the baby or pregnancy.

It seems kind of obvious to me that, if abortion is to be considered acceptable on occasion, the most acceptable of those occasions is when there is something wrong with the one being killed, just like when it comes to your limbs, the one that makes sense to remove is the one with the disease.

Abortion is a hot subject to begin with. It's one people like to jump all over it. Add in a disability and we've got a fire!!!

Absolutely. The problem is people mistake the mix of feminist propaganda with the whole "don't ever say anything bad about anyone with a disability coz it's wrong" for their hearts and sense of morality. Resulting in things like the twitter response to dawkins, or this very thread. On this very website some people have suggested (at least) one other shuts up because of the way he behaves (mostly a communication style which unlike mine doesn't even contain expletives), and probably have reported many of his posts in the hope of having him banned, a form of "online abortion". Yet this person clearly has traits of someone who has some form of ASD (considered to be a disability).

Seems strange that the same person can believe these three things:
-abortion is a right
-aborting babies just because they're different is a wrong
-You don't do things like me and I don't like your ways: go away!

A dilemma which, interestingly enough, is perfectly represented by the facial expressions of people who are fortunate enough to ride on the same bus as two lads (twins) who have Down's and quite loudly talk about their sexual fantasies. It's "cheesoid" meets "right and wrong" meets "does not compute". (seriously I've witnessed it a couple of times, all the passengers look like they're suffering from acute diarrhoea, it's quite something)

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by ren.

More
9 years 7 months ago #156952 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Down's Syndrome...
I spent my 4th year of school being best friends with a kid who had it, they were trialing incorporating him into a normal school. I happened to be in the next grade up at the time with a couple of mates, so I guess it was easier for an outcast from the norm to associate with an outcast group. They decided it did not work after that first year of it.... he was rather easy going but wanted to kiss everybody all the time.
:blink:
Even after that experience I really do not think I know enough about it to approach the topic, beyond to say IMO at the end of the day its the mothers choice irregardless of disablement or not. The parent must have been considering it to ask, and to me Dawkin's opinion is just representative of what he would do - nothing more.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #156991 by

ren wrote: Seems strange that the same person can believe these three things:
-abortion is a right

I don't think that's strange (or accurate of any view expressed here, but whatever). To me it suggests your initial assertion

ren wrote: Of all the abortions people can have, you can categorize them in two groups:

- Because I don't want it (Or now's not the right time)or because it's my body and I do what I want (yet somehow people aren't quite as keen when it comes to chopping their own legs off: these are actual parts of their body)
- Because there's something wrong with the baby or pregnancy.

is incorrect.

just like when it comes to your limbs, the one that makes sense to remove is the one with the disease.

A poor choice of straw man given most people will do whatever possible to keep a limb, diseased or not.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #157154 by ren

A poor choice of straw man given most people will do whatever possible to keep a limb, diseased or not.

Straw man would need an opposing argument. There isn't one. My own argument is that people abort healthy babies a lot more than they remove healthy limbs, and people will be happier to remove a cancerous limb than a healthy one. Which isn't even an argument, just putting numbers into words.

BTW, whilst the holier-than-thou crowd pat each other on the back, I can't help but notice TOTJO seems to have aborted the guy with ASD/aspergers, for the grand crime of behaving like a guy with ASD/Aspergers! Hurray!

More
9 years 7 months ago #157155 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Down's Syndrome...
He's neither aborted nor abandoned, ren ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #157157 by ren

He's neither aborted nor abandoned, ren ...

I am sorry, but either we cannot find the requested profile or this account is no longer active. Please contact the site administrator if you believe this is an error.

I'd like to report a problem with the website then!

More
9 years 7 months ago #157158 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Down's Syndrome...
The website is functioning properly. ;)

He is not 'only' a profile on a website, after all. And it is that which is neither aborted nor abandoned.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #157161 by ren
In this context

On this very website some people have suggested (at least) one other shuts up because of the way he behaves (mostly a communication style which unlike mine doesn't even contain expletives), and probably have reported many of his posts in the hope of having him banned, a form of "online abortion". Yet this person clearly has traits of someone who has some form of ASD (considered to be a disability).

Seems strange that the same person can believe these three things:
-abortion is a right

it is.

I'm not going to suggest banning the lad is the same as killing him before birth, but I do struggle to understand how members here can support the right to abortion yet demonize the aborting of disabled babies whilst constantly complaining and eventually banning a guy because of his disability.

I've complained about the BS going on in here on many occasions before, but I must say totjo seems to be reaching ever lower depths every day.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi