Lets brighten a kids day

More
6 years 4 months ago #305498 by MadHatter
A little boy is asking for Christmas cards and one of his favorite things is Star Wars. I think this is an opportunity for real-world Jedi to make this boys day a bit brighter. I would love to see if the Temple could authorize or do something "Officially" for him as service to others is the true goal of the Jedi and there is no great service then to children in need in my eyes. Article here. Text below for those that do not want to click the link.

Cancer patient, 9, asks for holiday cards for his last Christmas

Christmas is coming just a little bit early this year for Jacob Thompson.

The 9-year-old has a passion for penguins, Legos and “Star Wars,” but he especially loves the holiday season, his stepmother, Tara Artinyan told WXYZ.

Jacob was diagnosed with Stage 4 high-risk nueroblastoma when he was 5 years old. He was admitted to Portland’s Barabara Bush Children’s Hospital for the “last time” on Oct. 11, when doctors told the family he likely wouldn’t make it to Christmas.

According to the American Cancer Society, only half of the children diagnosed with the disease survive past 5 years of age.

“Jacob loves the holiday season,” his mother, Michelle Thompson Simard told Good Housekeeping. “And we want him to know that Christmas wishes come true and that there are good people who care all around the world.”

The 9-year-old’s wish? That everyone send him Christmas cards so that he can celebrate his favorite holiday early.

“He got some cards from this Halloween, and he opened them up and saw them and it was like getting a gift. He read it to us and a had big smile on his face and his nose scrunched,” Jacob’s father, Roger Guay, told the news station. “He was excited to see what people had to say and it just brightened his day.”

After only a few days, Jacob received more than 100 cards from people all over the world. His mother has shared photos of him grinning with his season’s greeting on Facebook.

“We’ve got over a hundred, and they’re from all over the world. We have some from the Netherlands, from Australia, from Denmark,” Aniyan said. “We’ve heard from all over the world at this point. We’ve even heard from Antarctica.”

Jacob’s cancer has spread to various parts of his body and he’s mostly bedridden, but that hasn’t stopped the Christmas festivities from unfolding.

His family is decorating his hospital room like a Winter Wonderland and are looking forward to a visit from Santa Claus. Others meanwhile have sent videos of themselves singing Christmas carols to give Jacob a boost.

Celebrities like Anna Kendrick, Rob Lowe and CNN’s Jake Tapper have similarly announced their intentions to send Jacob some holiday cheer.

Those interested can send cards to Jacob Thompson at the Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Avalon, Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, thomaswfaulkner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #305508 by Carlos.Martinez3
I would be able to send a card !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #305513 by
Replied by on topic Lets brighten a kids day
Let's make this happen

More
6 years 4 months ago #305518 by Carlos.Martinez3
Can we get PR to verify address and ask permission if we can , via email snail mail might not make the time frame .?

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 4 months ago #305519 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Lets brighten a kids day
This link here tells you which address to send the cards to and how to address them:

Jacob Thompson
c/o The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital
Maine Medical Center
22 Bramhall Street
Portland, Maine 04102

You can also upload videos of you and your family singing Christmas carols to the hospital's facebook page ( link ) and the hospital staff will share them with all the children currently receiving care at the hospital.

Any toys or physical gifts sent will be donated to the other children receiving care as well. For Jacob though, they're wanting physical cards, both bought and homemade, nothing more.

If you're worried about timeframe, I suggest going to your local convenience store tomorrow and mailing it express. . .

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, MadHatter

More
6 years 4 months ago #305522 by Carlos.Martinez3
Public Relations ... Council ...
Would it be ok if we signed them with our titles here and placed the web site on the card or would that be too much ? Would you rexomens just personal cards without the extra :from Carlos , Jedi knight Assistant pastor for outreach and website adress attached ? Recommendations ? Don't want to mis rep here or over step any boundaries if any and if so this could be a bigger picture thing as far as Our collective efforts and such. Maybe a more organized effort later . I await word here or pm
Respectfully in service Carlos

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 4 months ago #305577 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Lets brighten a kids day
Bump

Knight of the Order

More
6 years 4 months ago #305578 by thomaswfaulkner
You know, this is actually a great project that I can have my clients do for their next group session. With the holidays approaching this might be a great way for them to spread their holiday cheer to a kiddo in need. :) You can count us in.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.

More
6 years 4 months ago #305588 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Lets brighten a kids day
I have sent a card and let him know that I have sent the message out to fellow Jedi to get him cards. Lets make his wish come to and spread some good will.

Knight of the Order

More
6 years 4 months ago #306476 by Avalon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi