Youtube heroes

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258534 by
Youtube heroes was created by
This is to discuss the effects that youtube heroes has and various opinons on it

Personally it reminds me alot of big brother and is quite horryffing for aspiring youtube creators

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258536 by
Replied by on topic Youtube heroes
bump

More
7 years 6 months ago #258539 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Youtube heroes
What exactly are the concerns? A few internet services have tried things like this before, farming out moderation to the user base in reward for status/tools/access, but the systems are usually governed by rules to avoid hampering the networks usual legal activity and in themselves often more then anything just another way to increase user participation.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 6 months ago #258552 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Youtube heroes
Can someone explain the premise to me?

I'm mostly Anti-Youtube, Facebook, and everything else that causes me to extend my tinfoil hat budget, but I don't want to go bashing them on principle - What are the shenangins now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258559 by
No idea what this even is?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258560 by
Presumably the thread is about this:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/youtube-enlists-volunteers-to-moderate-its-site-via-a-new-youtube-heroes-program/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258561 by
Hmm, i dont see any issues with it. How is that any different than the moderation of any other site on the internet. This board for example. This board has moderators tasked with much of the same duties as these "youtube heros" and it runs along just fine within the terms of use set forth by the owners of the board.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258565 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Youtube heroes
Seems good on paper.

Human nature (or rather, Youtube fanatic nature) will likely ruin a perfectly good concept.

/pessimism

More
7 years 6 months ago #258583 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Re:Youtube heroes
The reason it's an issue is that it will allow abuse of mass flagings simply for channels with controversial or disliked channels. It will allow a handful of random people to destroy people's livelihoods with a mass flag. And it's not easy to get back a channel or video once it's taken down because YouTube does not care about its customer base. It allows a handful of unaccountable people to wreck anything they dislike with no real consequences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258606 by
Well of course they don't care about their video uploader base. Youtube is a subsidiary of Google and so they care about the thing that makes them money, their advertisers. The common user is just there as a medium to allow youtube to push their advertising. If one youtube uploader goes away, 10 more are there to replace him. It is at youtubes discretion as to who it allows to upload, view, rate, share, and comment on videos.

If these guys have an issue about the terms of service or the operation of their chosen medium, they can just go out and create their own video service and not have to be under the authority of another entity to display their content. No one every told them they have to use Googles/youtube services. As an end user they really have no say in how google/youtube conducts their web sites or their business.

Besides, DMCA and flagging abuse has been going on at youtube for years. I see it as a welcome change that youtube is attempting to get somewhat of a more responsible party in to help monitor and control this.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi