Brexit and the UK

More
7 years 7 months ago #254266 by Alethea Thompson
Read an article today stating a Germany official is slightly concerned for the fiture of the EU because of Brexit. Those of you outside of the U.K., is there a concern in your belief?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254313 by
Replied by on topic Brexit and the UK
No none whatsoever, the Netherlands are considering restricting their cooperation with the EU aswell , its a bunch of greedy people interested in our money, since we introduced the euro , economy had gone down , big compagnies got the power instead of the governments and unemployment has tripled. Its beginning to cripple us , really if anything , we want out. Now there is nothing wrong with sharing and taking care of eachother , but we pay the highest contribution per head of family and we have a raw deal , if nothing changes we will just be sucked dry , and why??? We alraedy had perfect rights for people and employees , wages were fair and you could live and buy a house on one wage ...So please dont call us anti social for not wanting to stay anymore if anyone is using that old excuse ... :P

More
7 years 7 months ago #254317 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic Brexit and the UK
Well, I am German and I can’t say that’s something that’s really being discussed broadly here. Maybe because our chancellor believes in tagging every decision with ‘without any alternative’ – so while there are people wanting out or fearing for the stability of the EU, from my personal experience, they are few and in-between. So no, I don’t think the EU as a whole is at stake with the U.K. leaving.

I do agree with Marta though. Lately it feels like a giant, sluggish, bloated and ineffective organism. I mean, look at this: Really? And how much was paid for this valuable decision?

What bothers me most about all this is whether those who get more out of the EU than they give back actually profit from that. Germany too is a net payer, though many argue we benefit wildly from the trading agreements. Now, many in Germany were unhappy with sending money to Greece and many Greeks seem to be unhappy with all the conditions connected to that.
What I really don’t know about this is: Even before the crisis, did being in the EU benefit the living situation in Greece? Because with all the cutbacks right now it sure doesn’t look like that. (Stemming from the argument that Greece could have devalued their currency had they not been tied to the Euro).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson,

More
7 years 7 months ago #254341 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Brexit and the UK
To the article: WHAT????????? I started to look to see if this was written by something like the Onion!

That's insane....just... I got nothin'. Wow.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 7 months ago #254398 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Re:Brexit and the UK
I'm not too concerned. I still believe the EU has a bright future ahead of it. Call me an idealist, but despite the constant scrutiny, bickering, bad-mouthing and naysaying, Europe is doing pretty darn well compared to the past.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi