Why so clueless about internet safety?

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222031 by Edan
It has become clear to me recently that many people who join have little or no concept of internet safety, under 18s especially. I see birth dates, phone numbers, addresses on profiles, forums posts and even usernames.

This information can be used against you and some will not hesitate to do so.

We have done our best recently to educate our new members, and in the youth faq are links to internet safety sites (links which I am certain are never clicked!).

Do you think it is a case of people not really realising what can happen until it happens? How can we better educate our members?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, J_Roz, Yugen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222034 by Yugen
This is actually something i have been thinking about, and i belive the way people think is that this works like a social media.
On facebook for example you can post age, adress and phone number. There are basically no restrictions that protect minors on facebook, and so when they come here they just put the adress, age and phone number on their profile as they would have done on other places/communities.

What we could do is to make the youth FAQ more easy to spot in the first place, and maybe put internet safety as a part of the IP, like a sub-section of the IP0.
And i belive that people dosen't really understand what could happen, until it is too late.
A common thought could be "It's the internet, what harm could anyone possibly make to me here"
A pinned post in the introduction forum also perhaps?

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Yugen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222036 by

Edan wrote: Do you think it is a case of people not really realising what can happen until it happens? How can we better educate our members?

What I did remember of my didactic study, protecting creates safety, but it also limits possibilities. Depending on what you are looking for, it can go in different outcomes. When educating, the educator should realize what outcomes is most needed. Adapt trough that in your education that you give. Teaching everything you know is not a option.

Education is not only about options, choices, and exploring. It is empathy what is needed at some point. Be thoughtful what you feel that is what is most needed to be thought. Ensure that not used lessons can be found when needed. Remember that for every person a different approach can work different. No single way of teaching works the same twice.

If you want people to realize consequences, and explaining outcome about themselves does not help. It means looking to personal situation is not enough. Explain what happens to a other might help. Insight and empathy makes didactic methods more useful. For both educator and educated.

Good luck!

~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222037 by

Bareus wrote: This is actually something i have been thinking about, and i belive the way people think is that this works like a social media.
On facebook for example you can post age, adress and phone number. There are basically no restrictions that protect minors on facebook, and so when they come here they just put the adress, age and phone number on their profile as they would have done on other places/communities.

What we could do is to make the youth FAQ more easy to spot in the first place, and maybe put internet safety as a part of the IP, like a sub-section of the IP0.
And i belive that people dosen't really understand what could happen, until it is too late.
A common thought could be "It's the internet, what harm could anyone possibly make to me here"
A pinned post in the introduction forum also perhaps?

It already is in the IP:

IP: Introduction

If You Are Under 18

If you are under the age of 18 years, we ask you to first introduce yourself, by sending a private/personal message (PM), to a Youth Officer and follow their instructions. For more information about this please read this section of the Youth FaQ.

Our Youth Officers were carefully selected and need to be made aware of you for legal reasons.

What would you like to change to make it more effective? It is in the introduction before lesson 0. Would moving it deeper into the IP help? *worried* :blush:
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222038 by Edan
I have a plan to make the youth faq easier to find.

However it's not just an issue with under 18s, adults are as bad for it, though for minors the issue is more important.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222039 by

Edan wrote: I have a plan to make the youth faq easier to find.

However it's not just an issue with under 18s, adults are as bad for it, though for minors the issue is more important.

You are a good person, Edan, but educating people of age about minors is in my eyes equal important to educating minors about people of age. Nothing can protect 100% but when 50% is found less important, how should that help the other 50%?

~ Aqua

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222040 by Edan

Aqua wrote:

You are a good person, Edan, but educating people of age about minors is in my eyes equal important to educating minors about people of age. Nothing can protect 100% but when 50% is found less important, how should that help the other 50%?

~ Aqua

I think you've missed the point of my thread and of what I said in my last post. It's more important an issue for minors because they are not responsible for themselves in the same way adults are. We attempt to increase the safety of minors by having a slightly different set of rules for them. I have been reminding knights all over the place about reporting minors who post their age.

The issue I'm trying to highlight is that people of all ages appear to be clueless with internet safety and to ask why that is.

edit: sorry aqua I changed my post after you quoted me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222042 by

Edan wrote:

Aqua wrote:

~ Aqua

I don't quite understand what you're saying? It's more important an issue for minors because they are not responsible for themselves in the same way adults are. We attempt to increase the safety of minors by having a slightly different set of rules for then. I have been reminding knights all over the place about reporting minors who post their age.

The issue I'm trying to highlight is that people of all ages appear to be clueless with internet safety.

Ehm.. I should explain it different. I do understand that there is difference, but if you can move the stick form left to right. It will be because understanding that the stick can go from right to left as well. Personally I find both important, if you do not share the same minding, or if you think that spending more time on minors because you feel it is unbalanced. I will not ask further about it. Thank your for your response though! :side:

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222043 by Edan

Aqua wrote: Ehm.. I should explain it different. I do understand that there is difference, but if you can move the stick form left to right. It will be because understanding that the stick can go from right to left as well. Personally I find both important, if you do not share the same minding, or if you think that spending more time on minors because you feel it is unbalanced. I will not ask further about it. Thank your for your response though! :side:

Both are important.. that is why I have posted this thread... I am talking about all people... But, I am Youth Officer... of course I am going to worry about minors..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222044 by
Mm.. I will create a separate topic about my question later, I feel I am going offtopic.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi