Hollywood Starting To Take Sci-Fi/Fantasy More Seriously

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205352 by
I was curious as to everyone's thoughts on the upcoming Sci-Fi/Fantasy films that we are going to be treated to in 2015, 2016, and 2017. I have noticed that the Sci-Fi genre is actually gaining more mainstream success as of late and I am excited to see if Hollywood keeps this up and finally treats Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans with more respect. I haven't been to the movies much lately because there really hasn't been much worth seeing in my opinion. Ridley Scott's "The Martian" though was a great movie in my opinion and gives me hope for the future of the genre. Here is a list of some upcoming films in production and why I am excited to finally have a reason to go the movies (besides the popcorn).

1.) SW - The Force Awakens. I think it goes without saying that we all want to see this. Regardless of the "spoilers" some on the internet think they have stumbled upon. For those who doubt J.J. Abrams' abilities, go watch "Super 8" and "Star Trek - Into Darkness". He produced "Cloverfield" which I have mixed feelings about, but still, he is a good director in my opinion. Just be eternally thankful that Michael Bay is not going to touch SW (fingers crossed), that would be, needless to say, a nightmare.

2.) Alien - Pardise Lost (Prometheus 2). Ok, for those who thought Prometheus was confusing because Ridley Scott created more questions than answers, you will hopefully be getting those answers in this sequel/prequel. The Alien series is one I have enjoyed and when I first heard in 2012 that Ridley Scott wanted to tell the backstory I was super excited. Prometheus sets up a premise that an alien race seeded Earth through a genetic engineering sustance which caused the evolutionary cycle to begin millions of years ago. And then for some unknown reason the alien race wanted to destroy Earth and they created the Xenomorph as type of biological weapon. The sequel promises to take us to the Engineer homeworld where we will get our many questions answered (hopefully). Giorgio Tsoukalos (aka "Ancient Aliens Meme Guy") is probably in love with the Prometheus concept.

3.) Avatar 2. Ok, I know I'm not alone in being excited about this one. James Cameron really nailed the first movie. Avatar was the kind of movie that a half hour into it I already knew I was going to buy it on Blue Ray and see the sequel. I love the philosphy behind the world of Pandora and their religion. Also I love the sociological and political undertones of this movie. I don't usually say that about movies but the concepts here are outstanding. You have the story of the military trying to colonize Pandora and harvest its resouces with complete disregard of the native people. Sound familiar? Its a story that resonates with people because it has been told in our history many times. And I admit, I also loved Avatar because of my nostalgia for Fern Gully, lol.

4.) The Hunger Games - Mockingjay: Part 2. I'm planning to see this one in theatres even though I saw the other movies on DVD or Netflix only. I mostly just want to see the series wrapped up and watch it purely for entertainment value. Even though Hollywood tends to botch movies based on books and true Hunger Games fans are critical of some elements of the films, I think the movies series has done a good job of entertaining the fans. I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't watched or read the other books and films, but how awesome was Lenny Kravitz in the movies?! He was a great choice for the Cinna role.

5.) Alien 5. This one is not coming out until 2017. If you hate the Alien series, you are probably hoping this movie is the final nail in the coffin. Or if you are like me and love the dark, H.R. Giger inspired film sets and monsters, this is going to be a fun trip to the movies. Here is why this film is important: Both Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are returning for this one. And Neill Blomkamp will be directing which should be interesting. He's the one that did "Distric 9" and "Elysium". Those two films are questionable but he has great potential.

6.) SW - Episodes 8 and 9. Not sure of the release date on these yet. Hopefully Episode 7 will make me want to see the last two. Like i said before though, I have good feelings about this one despite the many potential things that could go wrong.

I'm sure there are some I'm missing, feel free to offer your thoughts. Even though its a more of a horror film, "Crimson Peak" looks really cool. It will be in theatres Thursday. Also looking forward to Spectre to get my James Bond fix.

I left off the Marvel Comics films bc they are hit or miss and lately have been miss. There is also a Ghostbusters reboot but that really more of a comedy. I've heard talk of another Indiana Jones movie which I think might be a mistake to try to do at this point. And the Independence Day sequel is also a mistake waiting to happen, in my opinion.

But basically I am excited to maybe get my money's worth at the movies again. What to you all think?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #205466 by Gisteron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg4dJsglyMw
Just for laughs :D

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

More
8 years 5 months ago #205494 by rugadd
Really, its more of the same. I don't think Hollywood is taking it more seriously, I think they are following the numbers and creative talent.

rugadd

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #205533 by Adder
I'm getting more out of movies now then I ever did, so I'm not sure if it's me or them, probably the art form is becoming more refined and moving forwards which is great. But I'm easy on this topic, pretty much any sci-fi for me is good sci-fi I'm thankful they are making them again, thank the makers!!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #207049 by Carlos.Martinez3
Gisteron now that's funny.

My wife is amazed at how Hollywood is marketing to MY generation. Case in point the ones that read comics growing up and Saturdaymorning cartoons now have...tada!!! Jobs and money.

It goes to show that in the real "money" world the squeaky wheel or the ones who grew up and can afford it gets the oil or in this case the 10$ light sabers I never got growing up but now... yup... me and the 2 yo boy go at it and take turns with who's who no, Vader or Obi.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #207052 by Carlos.Martinez3
WE... are the colors on the screen

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi