How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

Therefore

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

so:
1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
JORIZQUI wrote:
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discordor, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

You're not powerless, you just need to get creative. -Me
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Dilemma (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • This isn't really advice Rex and it may not ultimately be applicable in this dilemma - but in these kinds of situations this story can lend a different perspective: Quote: “From the seventh century, Buddhism flourished in Tibet, but in the ninth century, it declined as a result of a ruthless Tibetan king who aimed to destroy Buddhism in his country. Then, in the early eleventh century, Tibetan Buddhism began a regeneration. This was marked by increased travel between Tibet and India, as key Tibetans traveled to India for instruction, and many Indian masters were invited to Tibet. Foremost of these Indian masters was Lama Atisha, a well-known scholar and practitioner who was one of India’s principal teachers of mind training. Lama Aisha was invited personally by the current king to spearhead the reestablishing of Tibet’s rich Buddhist cultural and religious tradition. Initially, Atisha committed to staying in Tibet for three years, but he was so well-loved by Tibetans that he remained for a total of twelve years, finally passing away in Tibet. One Reason for Atisha’s long initial commitment was because travel from India to Tibet was not easy. You had to negotiate hot, disease-infested jungles, eighteen-thousand-foot Himalayan passes, and inhospitable tribes and bandits. The trip took months to prepare and months to complete, involving dangers and hardships we can barely imagine today. Among the party traveling to Tibet was Atisha’s personal cook, who was known as a very difficult person to get along with. And indeed, the Tibetans found him rude, crass, and unfriendly. But even worse, the cook’s terrible behavior did not merely extend to the Tibetans but even to Atisha himself. The Tibetans just could not understand why Lama Atisha would keep such an unsavory person as his cook. Wasn’t travel hard enough? However, Atisha never showed any sense of intolerance, anger, or embarrassment over his cook’s behavior. Then as now, traveling can sometimes bring out the worst in people, and the Tibetans were impressed that Atisha showed only affection for the cook. Finally, though, they couldn’t sand it, and they asked Atisha why he did not fire the man and send him back to India. Lama Atisha replied, “He is not just my cook; he is my teacher of patience.” With that one simple statement, Lama Atisha demonstrated to the Tibetans and to us the entire concept of transforming one’s inner experience through mind training.”
    • The Karaoke Thread! (Last post by Rex)
    • Quote: cannot wait , i love this thread already , shame i cannot sing haha :laugh: And that's all that is stopping you? Horrible renditions courtesy of yours truly to follow shortly
    • Mail (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Quote: If I sign up for the church, will I receive any mail from here? I would prefer not to The only email you get is what you allow under the email preferences section of your profile settings. No physical mail is sent that I am aware of unless you ask for a certificate that you have earned.
    • This Gave Me Hope (Last post by Soma)
    • Quote: I would like to start a thread similar to the grateful thread and the self-forgiveness thread. A thread where we can all share things that gave us hope today. In the face of a cruel and unfair world filled with bad people there is still always hope, you just have to open yourself up to it. So open yourself up and let that hope spill out to others. I thought this was a very inspiring story about a man named David Young... :
    • jedi Buddhist (Last post by shifu)
    • a short answer :huh: Ch`an buddhisum associated with shaolin study as with most of chinese life can be seen in this analogy, Buddhisum is the house Confucianism is the way the house is run Daoisum is the feeling within the house The body needs to be trained according to a structure the middle way, The mind needs to have a place within which to locate itsself, order, but within which you the internal can change according to the actions of the external others. The unity of body and mind leads on to the spirit, the spirit is you the internal them the external in harmony. Study of these Philosophies will give a compase heading in which to travel, aguide/teacher in your chosen model of practice will narrow the paths down on which you travel but you choose, when young take the difficult path, travel will make the path easier but no less interesting. Remember you have two teachers the external and the internal learn from both, all teachers need teachers to keep them true.
    • A new terrorist attack in France :( Pray for Franc... (Last post by Kyrin Wyldstar)
    • Pretty convenient that that video completely skipped over the creation of Israel and the Gulf war isn't it. Quote: Vox is an American news website run by Vox Media, founded by liberal columnist Ezra Klein. Pascal-Emmanuel Gobry at The Week accused the site as "partisan commentary in question-and-answer disguise" and criticized the site for having a "starting lineup was mostly made up of ideological liberals." The Federalist's David Harsanyi criticized the site's concept of "explanatory journalism" in an article titled "How Vox Makes Us Stupid", arguing that the website picked and chose what facts to use in order to only reinforce their readers' progressive liberal worldview, and that "explanatory journalism" inherently leaves out opposing viewpoints and different perspectives that should be considered. The Washington Times's Christopher J. Harpercriticized the site for reporting mistakes, including reporting inaccurate information about the Michael Brown shooting case, reporting on a nonexistant bridge between Israel and Gaza, erroneously stating that the 2014 winter solstice would be the longest night in history, and others. He wrote that for a "much-ballyhooed website aiming to make journalism better and to explain the news" it "makes a lot of mistakes.
    • Reiki Energy ~ Empathic Abilities & Jedi (Last post by Rahatha)
    • I speak only for myself, of course. But I, being one of those who believes in one Great Mystery which lies behind, and inhabits, all that is, would say that it is merely a question of what you choose to name it--God, the Force, the Tao. And, from what I've seen, you are free to call it what you will and even to believe that it exists in many parts, separate from one another, and still find welcome here. As to the different energies that you name, by my account they are all different modes and different workings of the One. I think if you stay here long enough you will hear about this idea and you may find it interesting to contemplate it for yourself. Why is it important? Joseph Campbell, in Part 2 of the Power of Myth (which I am studying as part of the initiate program here) quotes this from the Upanishads "Then he {God} realized: 'I, indeed, am this creation; for I have poured it forth from myself.' In that way he became this creation. And verily, he who knows this becomes in this creation a creator." In other words, we begin to participate, with God, in the process of creation (since we are, after all, part of God and part of his Creation.)
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Grateful for cheap hobbies to help distract me from the pain of not having food around... pizzzaaaaaaaa
    • enlightenment vs. survival (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i dont agree with this dude about too much of anything. i dont even agree with everythingin this video, but its relevant to this topic where i live, women still respond to masculine men i dont worry too much about the femenists agenda to emasculate us, i just do my best to be a good man and trust things will work out

There are 184 visitors, 4 guests and 11 members online (2  in chat): Guardianofwinds, Gisteron, Kit, Cyan Sarden, Atticus, Tellahane, WRRPhoto, Hyrum Tigerprice, MadHatter, Kyrin Wyldstar, FAT, Silas Mercury, Rahatha, LukaManuka, novaadwhite.

Follow Us