So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • Knight
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness." -Thich Nhat Hanh
About Me | My Journal

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • At work, I don't want to hear about American gun shooting statistics, or police shoot outs, or actually anything to do with Britain vs USA. I don't care, I'm at work.
    • Is anything not a metaphor? (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: Quote: The world (universe) itself may or may not be a metaphor but all our human ideas and conceptualisations are So, what is a plane, a car, a computer, a T.V. etc,etc a metaphor for? These were all at one time human ideas and conceptualizations. They were not metaphors for anything however. Well, what are you comparing it to? Quote: A metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies something as being the same as some unrelated thing for rhetorical effect, thus highlighting the similarities between the two . For some, it would depend on the thought(s) surrounding a word "airplane", for example... "That bird is as high as an airplane." A word is a group of sound symbols, put together to make another symbol... (Yes, I know you know, but there are other readers... :)..) When compared to another unrelated object, for similarities comparison, then yes, airplane becomes a metaphor... For some... However, some of us have also discussed that you can not discuss something without understanding its opposite... To talk about an "airplane", when most learned what it was, it was compared to things "not-airplane", so that a thought could form... So, although we use the word "airplane", our mind also quickly goes to "not-airplane"... I think, on average, if you walk up to a random person, and point and say "up", with no context, they would point point, and say "down"... Although, a quick check with my co-worker just proved me wrong... :lol:... I know that's what I would do... Maybe I am weird, lol... For me to answer the OP, which I did, but not outright, lol... "Yes, everything can be a metaphor", but I would venture further and say that at this time, I limit that to human understanding only... Remove the human, then "No, nothing is a metaphor, things simply 'are'..." :)
    • We need you! (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: [image] Let's get serious now, no more jokes :blink: MTFBWY
    • Live Your Legend (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Quote: Alan Watts- It’s better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way. Quote: Joseph Campbell- If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be. I found this site- Live Your Legend- a while ago and re-found it today. It's about finding your passion and doing it as your work. And so, it seems to me to go very well with Watts and Campbell... I'll ask these questions again at the end- but what do you think about these quotes above? And do you think you are following your bliss? What can you simply NOT help doing? Is there a danger in following your bliss perhaps by attaching very strongly to an image of who you are and what you do? The dude who started 'Live Your Legend Revolution' was called Scott Dinsmore. He died earlier this year which is a shame but the site seems to be going strong regardless and is spreading some of the ideas we may have seen before here... I'd like to share some things from their about page but to keep this post relatively short- I'll share what simply drove him to do what he did which I find myself agreeing with... Quote: The following beliefs drove most of his actions: 1) We are capable of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. 2) You don’t have to do things the way they’ve always been done. 3) There’s usually a better way. 4) Most things aren’t as impossible as we think. They must be tested. 5) Exploring and getting out on adventures adds clarity to most of life’s confusions. 6) We can all do work we love, we just have to understand ourselves first – and create the proper surroundings. 7) Environment. Is. Everything. The fastest way to do the things you don’t think can be done is to hang around people already doing them. Choose your friends wisely and brainwash the impossible. 8)The education and experiments never end. Here's the about page for those interested- And lastly I'd also like to share his tedxtalk he did for those interested, So to repeat my questions: What do you think about these quotes above (now including the quote on the beliefs)? Do you think you are following your bliss in your life? What can you simply NOT help doing? Is there a danger in following your bliss perhaps by attaching very strongly to an image of who you are and what you do? Enjoy the discussion and have a nice day, :)
    • Does "evil" exist? (Last post by Tellahane)
    • evil is a label for a defined set of actions defined by the society for which we live, so in that regards, yes it exists. Take all that away, and it just is...much like the force. Thats my opinion anyway.
    • Techwear for Jedi (Last post by Tellahane)
    • Quote: Quote: They haven't come far enough for you to wear. Why, the ones I have seen lately are so compact and unobtrusive so that you don't even notice them if your shirts not tucked,but they hold quite a bit. I use one all the time. I don't need something so big as a back pack or messenger bag,and I like to have my hands free. Ah, gotcha.... All joking aside, Im more a "utility belt" guy... On my belt is always my multitool... next is usually my.flashlight and key clip... Then my phone... From the llink you provided, it only showed the classic black bag, then I clucked on related products... And, while better, still not for me.. I too like my hands free, and when i want something, I don't want to root around in a bag for it... I like multipocketed cop/ambulance pants too, but have yet to find some that feel right while wearing them... Just my feelings... :) If you've got them working for you, good deal... :) For just work, or personal time too? I run similar, I carry half of what I normally carry as an emt on me at all times, I carry my nice leatherman raptor trauma sheers(multi-tool to some degree), I have a leatherman multi-tool a glove holder with 2 sets of gloves, and a portable 02 on me at all times. Even when not working, that and a small flashlight. I can't count how many times I've needed them even when off duty, even if its something as simple as opening a bag or some such. I have the same rescue knife as well. I'm kind of a human multi-tool that way! I want to get some kind of belt equipped pouch of some kind for when I do tech support that has just a few more pockets on it to carry some more tools when I need to.
    • Strength (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: Strength is fine, but I think it is more about resilience. Can you resist getting knocked down? Can you recover when you do? ... ... To be an effective Jedi, I think one must cultivate resilience. Does having poor resilience make you a failure? That's not mine to say, but I know it makes life in general much more difficult. I read this while trying to assess my own feelings on the matter, and this short essay on resilience probably makes a point better than I would have. I am thinking about all kinds of experiences, both those shared by others and my own. Addicts, some of them, recover and live lives of contribution. People with physical disabilities accomplish remarkable things in spite of them. Some confronted with illness, poverty, or prejudice manage to overcome their hardships. Each arguably begins the journey in a state of weakness, but their own resilience coupled with the Force - as the old saying goes - enables lemonade to be made from lemons. I'd add that resilience is not IMHO something that we either have or don't have. It can be cultivated - one small step at a time, one moment at a time.
    • Physical temple (Last post by Yabuturtle)
    • I think a monastery would be better in the long run. People can actually live there and it can be quite a self sufficient place, with it's own medical practices, it's own farm and little area of land, it's own library ect. I know abandoned temples but I am not sure if there's any abandoned monasteries though. Do we need one? No not really but having a gathering where other Jedi can meet is nice to have. I guess it'd be located in America or England as those are the countries with the highest amount of Jedi.
    • The Force as described by a physicist? (Last post by Khaos)
    • Ok.....So in that respect, science still has little or anything to do with what will be our destruction. Which was your original conclusion. More,it seems now, it is greed,etc, by your estimation. Religion,or science,being tools of convenience,or rationalization. You have in no way outlined any real evidence of why religion and myth is needed to be good, or do good however. There are good religious people and bad religious people, and good atheist and bad atheists. What I have yet to see, is a radical,extremist, atheist group. Also, you lost me with the reference to communistic regimes. If you need stories to supply moral and ethical checks and balances, fine. But not everyone with hair and shoes do. We're also way off the topic I was remotely interested in discussing.
    • WW III (Last post by Omhu Cuspor)
    • Quote: Is War Over? — A Paradox Explained This is a marvelously hopeful perspective, Cayce, and one which as far as I can tell is freshly original. I intend to soak it in. Thanks for sharing this video. It is profound enough that I feel like going silent on this topic now; I don't know how I could add anything more worthwhile.
    • Today I felt lonely... (Last post by Rickie)
    • [/quote]I don't know how it works for others, but this chain reaction happens with me. I'm an Aspie, and because of that, I'm a Bipolar, and I don't like to feel lonely or empty, because it triggers a depressive state.[/quote] You do the best you can with what you got. Don't let the labels used by others limit you. Do you feel greater than the words use to describe you? Of course you do! You are great! Find your greatness. The power is yours. Embrace it! You are so much more than what you believe and others say. Bee great. Have fun.
    • "Jesus" was a Jedi (Last post by Lykeios)
    • Quote: Yeshua Ha' Mashiach or Yeshu Ben Yosef was a Jedi. :evil: por que He was. i've always believed this, and i may expound otra vez más tarde. Thank you. I cannot accept this. However, gracias.
    • I think people are falling for it (Last post by Dael Dhra)
    • Absolutely agree! I've read that the only power the government and those with the "power" would truly fear is all of us, uniting, and finally pointing the finger where it belongs...

There are 1129 visitors, 6 guests and 41 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Streen, Jestor, ren, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Wescli Wardest, Darren, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Khaos, Rickie, KageKeeper, Kamizu, mdk, Kohadre, Edan, tzb, Senan, Rick D, Zenchi, SeventhSL, Angwusi, GregHorvath77, MrBruno, Loudzoo, Relyt Dagor, Atticus509, Howl, Tellahane, Sceaf, Mael, Jack.Troutman, Cassius Skywalker, Skryym, McNulty, Fynerick, Khemhotep Qliphothus Reapentote Zehuti, LemmyT.

Follow Us