So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Desolous, tzb

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • General Economics Discussion (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: that when the rate of return on capital (r) is greater than the rate of economic growth (g) over the long term, [/ quote] Can't happen for the long run, their linked to each other. When their not lockstep we have inequity. We would call that an arbitrage situation and a capitalist would feast on it for as long as it is profitable. Quote: the result is concentration of wealth, and this unequal distribution of wealth causes social and economic instability Of course....the capitalist will continue to feast until circumstance would force the to do otherwise. Quote: 'is not an accident, but rather a feature of capitalism'. Yes it is. Quote: is this beneficial to society as a whole? Only as a byproduct. Laws help though. Capitalist don't like laws governing their profit motives. Quote: how can we as Jedi address this inequality? Not much until you have the money and power. Then will you care. Would want laws taking away what you worked hard for? Remember the golden rule, "he who has the gold makes the rules"
    • The Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of t... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Frustratingly there isn't a kindle version available (if someone has an ebook version please let me know where to get one). What does Jaynes mean by Consciousness? Consciousness as something which didn't previously exist and did as a result of writing? Or consciousness which did exist and was altered by the invention of writing? How does the notion of writing differ from cave paintings? Does Jaynes suppose there were fundamental changes in brain structure? Or is consciousness more a development of the complexity of how brain regions process new information (which would be more prevalent once encoded in writing).
    • Cultural Sensitivity/Appropriation and Anger (Last post by Parnerium)
    • Quote: Quote: Cultural appropriation is a very serious topic. It is, however, often misdiagnosed. serious how? can you demonstrate a harm more significant than "i find it distasteful" or "i dont like it"? Not speaking for Steamboat, but I thought about this question a bit. Say somebody hears about "Native American sweat lodges" and thinks its a fine idea. They figure "Hey, I'm human. People who came up with sweat lodges are human. So I can do a sweat lodge, even though I have no connection to the culture that created it." So they call themselves a "guru" and build a sweat lodge. They then tell everybody to come to their genuine sweat lodge for spiritual awakening. Then a bunch of people die because, it turns out, this person didn't actually know what they were doing. Why did those people think a sweat lodge would help them spiritually? Because this guy said so, for sure. But also probably because they have deep associations between "sweat lodge" and "wise Indian elders going on spirit journeys and being one with the land or whatever." This also made me think about how commonly consumable Americans find any element of Native American cultures that are fairly widely known. People are willing to pay a buttload of money to have a sweat lodge experience, meanwhile, Cree members themselves are being told they can't have a private sweat lodge in their own backyard. I find discussions on cultural appropriation very complex (and feel like these complexities are often glossed over in favor of catchy one-liners like "we're a culture, not a costume" and the ensuing argument). But these are some of the things I think about when trying to figure it all out.
    • What do you think comes after death? (Last post by rugadd)
    • Is this a trick question? We already know what happens to our body. Soul? Consciousness? Spiritual being? The echoes of our actions and the perspective of those who knew us is the closest to an after life or spiritual presence there has ever been proven to be. That said, I'm not dead yet, so I just don't know.
    • A brief matter of time.. (Last post by Goken)
    • I don't really see a need for a different calendar. I have enough difficulty converting UTC when trying to attend Temple functions. :laugh:
    • A World Without Ageism | Ashton Applewhite (Last post by MartaLina)
    • I did not think i was ageist , but then i realised that i put people that are 13 years younger than me in MY agegroup , but people that are 13 years older ..not. This says about me that i like to surround myself with younger people and people of my age (52) , my oldest friend is 58 , and i dont consider her old but she pointed out to me that i indeed am ageist. Not nice of me , have to work on that . I am restricting myself and maybe missing beautifull contacts because of it ... As for men , i like them from the age 45 to 55 :P so definately ageist !
    • Can a force senstive person train themselves (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • I spent 18 years or so studying and practicing before I found this wonderful community. 'Progress' can be made alone (indeed some of it must be alone) but its a bit like stumbling around in the dark by yourself, rather than walking along a well-lit path. The metaphor isn't quite right but hopefully you see what I mean! Guidance and support from a like-minded community makes a huge difference in my experience :) Incidentally I believe that everyone has the potential to be 'Force sensitive' and although holocrons don't exist - fortunately libraries, and all the resources of the internet do ;)
    • World Trade Center Steel (Last post by Rickie)
    • I'm not that overly emotional about 911. I had no images of the disaster before during or after the touching. I only noticed the rough surface of the metal. This was a spiritual, spirit touch, soul touching energy event for me. It only further reinforces my beliefs in the energies we are all made of and are surrounded with.
    • The Avengers and Phil Coulson endorse Hillary. (Last post by Goken)
    • Honestly, I don't care at all about who they are or aren't endorsing and I'm still not sure I believe them that voting actually matters all that much (thank you electoral college system). But I did enjoy this ad a lot simply for Mark Ruffalo's reactions at the end. "What? I never agreed to that." "No, guys. They should just vote because it's important." :laugh: He's great. :laugh:
    • The Block (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Carlos Temple secret : work a break in the process as often as possible. Helps for good form, sanity and focus!
    • What would happen if humans disappeared? (Last post by Hrafn)
    • Quote: In my opinion, the planet (and / or entire sector) will be barren once humans are gone. I am not so sure of that, unless we upload our consciousness in a computer (Transcendence style) and turn the entire planet in a machine, life (even bacteria or fungi) will adapt to our absence and will go on starting a new evolutionary path. Moreover, even if we "computerise" all the surface area of the planet and sterilise it natural events such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and meteorite impact will occur. This events bring complex chemicals, heat and so on and can make the life cycle start again in the same way it started in the beginning. So I don't think the end of humankind will be the end of life in out system. Quote: Earth is already a relatively old planet in terms of the development of life. Most other planets in the universe are considerably younger in this respect (which is now a theory for why we haven't been able to detect other intelligence - there simply hasn't been enough time for it to evolve on other planets yet). Slooow down Cyan ahahah The theory your are quoting exists (is by Dimitar Sasselov if I remember correctly) but is just an hypothesis with very little support to it. We have discovered around 2100 exoplanets (number of exoplanet confirmed in 2015, but there are other 700 candidates). Around 350 of them are Earth-like planets or supearths. I'll do not take into account exomoons. Of these 350 exoplanets we have calculated the age of less than 10 and every result is around 3.5 Gyr or so. The Earth, in comparison, is 4.5 Gyr old (1 Gyr = 1 billion years). If every one of these planet have earth-like life on it probably there is just some multicellular organism and nothing more and your theory would be true. We have to notice, by the way, that we have the age of less than 10 planets and looking at the results I suppose is really unlikely not to find a planet (or many) older than the Earth. Anyway, no one know at the moment, we can be the oldest or the youngest planet, we don't have enough data to establish that. Quote: And this might sound arrogant: will it matter if there's life on Earth if there are no intelligent, self-aware beings? Who will be able to reflect on it? Not arrogant, maybe just playing the devil's advocate and it's a good thing. We weren't intelligent life forms. We were monkeys. And before being monkey we were unicellular organism. So yes, I think it really matters because some other life form can evolve, become self-aware and reflect on these things. If what you say is true then 4'499'800'000 years of 4'500'000'000 would have no sense; but is because of that gigantic number of years that we are here today, so I think they matter.
    • Marijuana and its use (Last post by Sephiroth_deus)
    • I have nothing to add regarding whether one should or should not use marijuana that hasn't been said here and on a million other message boards. However I was wondering about people's experiences with its use and how it effected one's meditations and/or spiritual connectivity (IE does it make this or that meditative exercise easier? Harder? If you feel the Force on a day to day basis does its use inhibit or improve that connection?). My personal understanding and experiences with such things (meditation/spiritual awareness) is extremely limited and I would be interested in reading other people's experiences and insights regarding such things and how they combine with marijuana.
    • Dreams...visions? (Last post by Adder)
    • I've been really into my dreams since a teenager as well, and had a few dooozies. So much potential power in dreaming its spooky. Last night I graduated naval aviation pilot training, and got a shiny red pilot wings badge :woohoo:

There are 417 visitors, 5 guests and 41 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Grom Fett, Firewolf, Jestor, Trisskar, Wescli Wardest, Darren, Proteus, rugadd, Lykeios, Rickie, rrhodes67, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Senan, Zenchi, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi, Atticus, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, MartaLina, Gwinn, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, Leah Starspectre, Luce Stellare, mfayj, Arisaig, Jaxz, Parnerium, Fett Pool, Genoe Jhalam, stoneoxmike, Tyra1302.

Follow Us