So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Leah Starspectre, tzb, Apprenticeship, 2016 (Last post by Atticus)
    • This? Is gonna be all kinds of awesome. I always respond to apprenticeship announcements with a wish that both the master and the apprentice learn much from each other. This particular pairing, though, I can't envision a situation where that wouldn't happen. You both bring so much to the table. Enjoy the adventure. I know I will. :)
    • Something waiting in the bushes of Love (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: just thought I'd bump this up to get it back into everyone's head. :laugh: I feel like this could be the Jedi equivalent of being Rick-Rolled You're welcome Thank you darling , just as i was giving up hope :laugh:
    • So, I really hate exercise.. (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • lots of free dancing tutorials online, for solo and couples i was going to post a youtube, but... :P ive gotten into jumping rope lately i know it sounds boring but its actually kinda fun once you learn a few steps and can keep going for a few minutes
    • TOTJO Clergy Structure (Last post by Aqua)
    • * 'Atticus' moved to the 'Minister' key; * All relevant promotions of rank-, administrative-, office-, and mentions of clerical nature, added. ~ Aqua
    • Team C - 100 days of discipline (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Day 2 What i want to add is that i try to block out what some people write on the internetz , that goes from childish rants to condesending replies to that , to people who i dont see getting involved but who whine about those who do?? They might not have the social skills yet but i would rather know what they have to say than to deal with some peoples arrogant silence , and how exactly do you feel "connected" more? I always thought the whole idea of connectivity is to accept eachother as we are even if we dont agree ? Ah well ,...you get the picture May the Force be with you ALL ( not just the ones who say what we want to hear ;) ) * wishes she was not so good with people sometimes loll *
    • Jedi do not smoke. (Last post by MartaLina)
    • I think you are really brave , what really helped me too is to avoid alcohol as much as i could which was surprisingly easy to do, the two were closely knit together , i also did everything i did before , so when friends went outside to smoke i went with them , which was a challenge at first , but it felt sooo good to refuse the cigarettes offered :) Good luck friend i have great faith in you :cheer:
    • Action !! (Last post by Ryder)
    • If anybody could take it seriously, I suppose it could be ceremonial. :)
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i guess "safe space" doesnt count if youre 13? :whistle: some of your standards are backwards AF!; i erased a comment about the slack cut for isis, but im leaving this: as a college freshman he will host a peace rally, half way through he will have to ask all his jedi friends to leave, so that he may heal from the trauma of todays events lol :P im sure i'll be butt hurt about it and say "dude, i was on your side the whole time, why you punishing me ??"
    • Meditation (Last post by Bradyn2468)
    • So since joining the Temple I have, as I am sure most have, began meditating more often. Through reading about it and experimenting with both the position and technique I have found that personally the Sieza position combined with breathing exercises works best for me. Through this I continue to learn more about myself and I can feel myself becoming calmer and more patient. As a matter of interest I would like to know now: How do YOU meditate? Thank you and MTFBWY.

There are 197 visitors, 8 guests and 30 members online (2  in chat): Alethea Thompson, Guardianofwinds, Lightstrider, Proteus, V-Tog, PatrickB, Lykeios, rrhodes67, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Senan, Aqua, Tarran, Loudzoo, Atticus, Tellahane, WRRPhoto, dark scarf, MadHatter, MartaLina, Brick, dana, Cmiller1979, Kyrin Wyldstar, Rex, Ryder, x57z12, whitelotus, Leah Starspectre, Rahatha, DEEZYGAINS, Daneken, biscuitduff, Haakon.

Follow Us