Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN??

Moderators: Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 11:20 #46481

Learn_to_Know wrote:
However, I'm not ready to subscribe to the idea that Jedi should have children. There is much that a Jedi can do in their service and compassion to others that doesn't have to involve raising their own. Perhaps even seeking out those children that are in a less fortunate position and helping them in some way?

As a matter of semantics, should and must are not the same. Jedi should have children but not all have the capacity or capability at this time in their life. I would also point out that working with any child is a form of parenting. If you have a desire to help other children that is wonderful. As a past PTA member I worked with many children in the school. I was also a Scout Master for several years.

In any one of these cases, you are raising children, you just are not paying for their cloths so to speak. Your influence on a child has an effect on them that lasts a lifetime. I have children I worked with 10 years ago saying hi to me in the grocery store. I wish I could remember all their names. They remember me because of the time I took to teach them how to read, or make paper, or chalk. I, in a very real sense, took an active part in raising that child.

So...raise your own or raise others? Either way be a positive role model!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice / Knight: Jedi Knight Arcade, Jedi Knight J-Roz
Current Apprentices: Jake_Sato, JLSpinner, and cmwatts
Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!
Phortis Nespin
"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker
“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 12:16 #46484

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
Sapadu wrote:
'HAH!' Kendalina guffawed. Immediately, Jack should have known the Vader quote would upset her, 'Redemption for killing, what, THOUSANDS of people, just because he got that stupid b**** senator from Naboo knocked up and she popped out TWO kids? How is that redeeming in the SLIGHTEST?'

"Kendalina, you're not helping your case when I try to defend you as a pro-feminist model." Jack mumbled.

'No, I'm serious. The mother is the one who did all the work, Vader didn't play ANY role in how they grew up -- what with never BEING there or even being AWARE the children had been born or survived -- and he didn't get his head out of his @$$ until the very last second.' Kendalina fumed. Triclops didn't say a word, merely sitting by and knitting, 'And your children being the best of you? KARK THAT! That's just lazy, relying on a kid to justify your existence. You should be a good person on your OWN! Lookit Jango Fett! Having Boba Fett didn't redeem him. Or the Emperor for that matter -- 'cuz, y'know, HE was such a great person because of Trike!'

'The Emperor didn't have kids!' Interrupted Kakeru, in a very Star Trek-not-knowing-Star-Wars-lore sort of voice.

'Sure he did -- but it was in cloning experiments kinda like the Jango/Boba Fett crossed with Frankenstein way.' James snapped back, fanboy to the core. Tired of the argument, Triclops sighed.

'Maybe the real lesson is Vader's ability to love.' It certainly shut everyone up, 'He turned to the Dark Side because the obsessive, violent part of his love for his wife turned into possessiveness. What redeems him is the fact that he loves his son enough to save that son.'

"I like her passion, but I think we disagree on the word redeem," LTK said quietly.

His Force Conscience paused momentarily before prompting softly, "What does redeem mean to you?"

LTK contemplated carefully, debating within himself how to best phrase it. Not being entirely sure of his choice of words, he proceeded cautiously.

"I look at redeem in this scenario with Vader as simply a desire to not repeat the same mistakes again." LTK paused a moment, feeling like he wasn't being as clear as he desired. "He finally turned his back on the darkness, and it was because of the suffering of his son, what he was witnessing that spurred him on. His child may not have redeemed him from his past evils, but he certainly effected a huge change on Vader as he turned against the embodiment of evil. That is kind of like redemption, isn't?"

His Force Conscience nodded sagely, but was somewhat disappointed at LTK's struggling to explain a concept that should be clear and concise. "What about her comment about using a kid to justify your existence. I believe she said you should be a good person on your own, not just because you have a kid."

LTK quickly replied, "I agree with her there. We should be a good person on our own. To have to rely on children to be good would be an attachment a Jedi shouldn't have."

His Force Conscience smiled delightedly. "She is definitely right. And you are on your way to understanding this, possibly as well as she already does. But one thing shouldn't be forgotten: understand that you should be a good person on your own, you should strive to be an even better person when guarding and training a light that comes from the Force."
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 14:41 #46488

• Leena
  • Initiate
  • ID: 1965
I must say I like the question a lot. I agree with Phortis Nespin on this as far as the answer. I would love to have children and plan to when I find the right man to have them with. Now, aside from work, I have taught kids, mentored, and other things. It's so important to be a positive role model.

As for redeeming, that's an interesting point. Can that act of saving his son redeem Vader? Well, acording to some religions, yes. In Islam, I believe Muhammad said that if you do a bad deed followed by a good deed, the good deed will wipe out the bad one. In Christianity, Jesus' sacrifice redeems any who accept him and repent. Is everyone redeemed by their children, no. I think perhaps Vader was. Honestly, their mother didn't do all the work. She had the children and died. They were each raised by different people. It is a testament to Anakin Skywalker that even after he became Darth Vader and didn't know his kids, he still saved Luke's life and, ultimately, sacrificed his own.
Leena
"In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 23:20 #46494

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
i say, let things happen as they must... if one is meant to have children it will happen (whether they plan to or not). whether we have children or not we should still provide a positive rolemodel to all(adult and children alike).
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light

In truth, everyone wears a mask. when speaking to others, a false persona can charm, seduce, or frighten. -darth sidious, book of sith-

"did you ever see a lion stretch before taking down a gazelle?" -tallahassee, zombieland-

"A path emerges when we walk on it" -j.l.lawson-

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Degree Administrator,Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru
Semper Fortis
Vis Vobiscum

The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:24 #46495

I have 3 daughters and a gran daughter, they are my life!!!

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:59 #46496

I have three fantastic children, I can't think of life without them now.

When my 1st one was on the way I was so very worried as I was not sure I was ready to be a dad, but when are we ever ready ???

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 16:33 #46502

I don't really agree with Lucas that the point of life is having children- that's what a virus does, not more complex living things. We are more than our children.

However, I am a father myself, and can see the arguments for and against it in my own experiences. Parenting is a valuable teaching experience, and can be a great joy and fulfillment. However, your own body and mind does attempt to betray you and cause you to instinctively center on them. It has proven genetically valuable, but may not be the wisest course of action for a Jedi.

Through application of will, I have gotten to a place where I love my children, but feel no attachment to them, and do not revolve my life around them. Not many parents do all three of those things.

Saying Jedi should have children is something of a loaded statement to something that has advantages and disadvantages. I would say Jedi should be allowed to have children.
Latest Posts Comments Sermons
    • A World Without Ageism | Ashton Applewhite (Last post by V-Tog)
    • She packed quite a lot in there! I really thought it was interesting what she said about fictional portrayals of the elderly - only ever a passive character or the old crone. There seems to me to be another category as well - that of the wise old sage. As Adder mentioned, Yoda would be an example, as would Ben Kenobi, Dumbledore, Gandalf, Socrates of 'The Peaceful Warrior', etc etc. Either old people are zombies or they are Zen Masters who have all their sh*t together, right? When do you ever see a portrayal of an older person as a real person - that is to say, an angst-ridden, complex human being... Although, I don't yet know what it's like to be 'old', so maybe I'm wrong in assuming that they don't all have everything sussed out... :laugh: I'll come back to you on that in 39 years time when I will hit that magical 65+ catagory of ceasing to exist as a non-old person (which was another really excellent point, about the box-ticking...I can't believe how easily that particular bit of bonkerosity slips under our radar!) But, yup, in the spirit of doing as she suggested and owning up to being ageist, I am frequently ageist (although hopefully not intentionally so). I have a bad habit of mentally blaming older people's mistakes, along with aspects of their behaviour that I don't like, on the rather harsh idea 'they're going senile', which is clearly disrespectful in that it strips them (as I perceive them) of their agency and their ability to make their own choices. And even if people are losing their mental cognition, it's not something to be thought of in that way - it's not their fault, and it could happen to any of us. Unfortunately that attitude - of frustration towards those with reduced cognitive skills - is one that seems to be very prevalent in society. Returning to a personal perspective, there are countless other ways in which I'm sometimes ageist, but I wont list them! However, the idea of internalized ageism is an interesting one - I certainly sometimes quite savagely tell myself that I'm both too old or too young in differing situations and company! And it was a little scary when she suggested that perhaps, right now, we are all learning and internalizing (and perpetuating) the very messages that will make us feel worthless when we are older - a perfect example of the importance of this topic for all of us, no matter how young we might be... Thank you so much for sharing this, Alex! :)
    • ADD HEALING REQUESTS HERE!! (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: My mother got admitted to hospital in a rush today , i hope she pulls through :( she could need all the love and light she can get What brought her in? My best thoughts coming your way.
    • Group Assignment - The School Of Life (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • It begins only with an excitement wherein I found Wabi-Sabi described and could not help but feel this was extremely important. I do not mean to apply Wabi-Sabi to our physical aesthetic. I do not necessarily need weathered robes or anything so direct or literal. Instead, I think of it as part of one’s spiritual, interior architecture. I apply it to an analogue of the Method of Loci, the memory palace. If one were to build in interior Temple to reflect one’s Path, Wabi-Sabi emerges. And beyond any visuals, it speaks to the ideas that I bring together, how I can reject a certain amount of symmetry, a certain amount of logic, and appreciate how our ideas and feelings can come together in interesting contrasts rather than neat rows. Chuang-tzu was told that his philosophies were old, knotted, crooked, like a tree. He replied that he could sit under that tree and enjoy the shade. I echo him today.
    • Questions for Christians of the site (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Now I am posting this to spark discussion on my issues with the god of the Christian bible and the bible itself. I do not mean any of this as an insult nor will I pretend that if the questions were answered that I would become a believer. I will also say that at one time I was a devout evangelical Christian. It was reading the bible cover to cover twice that turned me away. There are many things that I take issue with, within formalized religion but this list is my issues sparked from the bible: 1. Do you believe that it is a choice to go to heaven or hell? If you believe it's a choice how can it be when its made with a threat over one's head. To me, it feels like love me or suffer and that is not a choice in my eyes. 2. How do you get past the things that caused the death of children in the bible? Such as the flooding of earth, the death of the firstborn, the rain of fire upon sodom and its sister city, the setting of a bear upon youths for mocking a prophet? If you say you feel they are parables how do you separate parable from literal? 3. How do you get past Gods nonintervention in things like world hunger, rape, the murder of the innocent, etc? I know I could not walk past someone being beaten in the street and not act. Never mind if I could end the act with a thought. No amount of us having free will can justify claiming to love someone but watching them suffer terribly when you can stop it with no risks to yourself. ( in my eyes that is.) 4. What do you feel about actions such as the hardening of Pharos heart? This seems to not only contradict free will but means that the people of Egypt suffered because God made Pharo say no. If you answer some or all of these I thank you for your time. I again do not mean any insult I am looking for YOUR thoughts on my own hang ups with the bible. I will likely not even attempt to challenge any response as I do not mean to challenge anyone's faith I just merely wish to hear views outside of my own. If I do ask questions I will make every effort to do so to clarify meaning and not to tell anyone they are wrong.
    • Gratitude for the Kindness of Others (Last post by V-Tog)
    • Buddhism - or certainly the NKT strain with which I am most familiar - teaches that all living beings are inherently Kind, and that every aspect of our lives is made possible only by this Kindness. This includes obvious, deliberate acts of Kindness, but also acts that were undertaken without necessarily prioritizing the goal of Kindness - for instance, when we watch TV, we are benefiting from the Kindness of all of the people involved in making the TV and all of the people involved in creating the TV shows that we watch, and then all of the people who made/provided the things that those people needed, going right back to the people who first invented the TV, and then back again to the people who inspired them. Not to mention the Kindness of the people involved in selling the TV to us, delivering the TV, writing the instruction manual, making the packaging, etc etc. Does it count as Kindness if it's just people doing their job so that they can pay the bills? In this view, even our sheer existence is dependent on the Kindness of others - of our parents for conceiving us, our Mother for carrying and giving birth to us, our parent's parents for bringing them into the world (again, all things that may have been more selfish in motivation than Kind...and also things that can be difficult to consider as Kindness if one's parents didn't then do a very good job of parenting...) To what extent are you grateful for the contributions of others to the benefits that you enjoy in life? Is a Kind act any act that brings benefit to others, or is intention important?
    • Why Not... (Last post by Kaval het)
    • Quote: I was raised catholic. Our church had a rather pessimistic priest, droning on and on about how we are all sinners, how damnation awaits and the only way out is ‘to eat humble pie’ (quotation marks because it is an idiom I’ve never heard before suggested to me by dict.cc). I resented the idea. I did nothing wrong to deserve anything like this and the whole thing just felt unfair to me. That was me at age 10. Nowadays I still strongly resent the idea of guilt forwarded from previous generations, also I understand the priest was a rather specific kind and quite poorly conveying the idea of salvation through Christ. Even still I feel the catholic church is not for me first and foremost since I oppose the strict set of rules. I don’t believe a god to be so limited they would bother telling me to visit a stack of bricks in their honor on a specific day – what do they care when I honor them as long as I do? Also I agree with snowy. Doing something good to avoid punishment or to earn some kind of afterlife bonus feels like hypocrisy to me because both motivations are entirely selfish. That’s what I like specifically about the force: It doesn’t care how I act, that doesn’t even affect my afterlife in any way. Being good is as much as a choice as being a d***. I chose to be nice because I like people around me to be happy and it makes me happy too. I sincerely agree with this statement. Never was one for religion or "bricks" so to speak, but I give you a paradox that the force goes completely around. If god is all powerful, can he create something he cannot lift? And if he can, isn't he not all powerful? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Leaders Eat Last (Leadership in Jediism) (Last post by Lykeios)
    • Very good video, thanks for sharing! Quote: My question is: How important is leadership to you in your path as Jedi or Jedi Adjacent? Both to be the good leader for others, and to be a good follower? Do you feel this is an important aspect that should be taught? How does it apply to your life and your path? Leadership is very important to me. I've always considered myself more of a leader than a follower but when I think about it...being a good leader can often mean being a good follower. I think leadership should definitely be taught to Jedi. We should be leaders in our communities. We should be of service to others. A good leader is worth a lot. I've had good bosses and bad bosses in my various jobs. The good bosses leaders made me want to work harder for them. The bad leaders made me dread going to work. Good leaders motivate us to do more for the group and make us feel safe as a part of the group. I liked that the speaker tied leadership into neurological chemicals. It was interesting to see the link between these chemicals and leadership. I'd never thought of it that way. I know I could do with more oxytocin in my life :D
    • Youtube heroes (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Quote: Quote: If Youtube wants to slit its own throat I will look forward to its closing Quote: Revenue Increase US$74.98 billion (2015)[1] Operating income Increase US$19.36 billion (2015)[1] Net income Increase US$16.34 billion (2015)[1] Total assets Increase US$147.46 billion (2015)[1] Total equity Increase US$120.33 billion (2015) Don't hold your breath.... How long was myspace seeing growth before it ignored its fans and was killed by that fact? Nothing is too big to fail and alternatives are being created so I hold hope that they either wise up or fold.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • You gotta be some kind of low life slime to steal expensive equipment from a special school :angry:
    • Religious clothes and coverings (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Apparently, he belongs to church of jediism.org/UK and they believe in their heads being covered at all times to block out bad emotions and energies.. Google them.... they have got themselves negative press because of this 'belief'... in my personal opinion, for no reason (the hood thing that is)... And alas, nothing can block out the bad emotions coming from within...
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I am grateful for schools like the one I am working at this week, who don't give up on kids, or expel them when they get difficult, and do what they can to provide an education to kids who otherwise might not get one.
    • Developing tk/pk (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: im just curious if anyone has at page 7 an opinion which is at all different from the opinion they had at page 1? lol... its page 11 now, any takers? ----- Quote: I have to really watch what I say to people I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings It's like if you told some people you burnt your hand on the stove and everybody got a committee together to try to discuss. If it was possible that a stove could get hot.sometimes it's a little frustrating no its not like that at all its more like you told everyone that you could turn princes into frogs and pumpkins into stage coaches and then those of us who are familiar with frogs and pumpkins were like "uh, i dont think thats true"
    • What we can learn from KOTR (Last post by Jutus)
    • Quote: My favorite part of KOTOR: Carth: So, Jolee, you decided to leave your little hermitage in the forest and come help us stop the Sith. I guess you realized this war was worth coming out of retirement for, huh? Jolee: Yeah, that's right, sonny. The Sith are the greatest evil to hit the galaxy since, well, the Mandalorians. And they're the worst thing since Exar Kun. Blah, blah, blah, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Carth: Okay, old man, you lost me there. Are you trying to make a point? Jolee: Look, everybody always figures the time they live in is the most epic, most important age to end all ages. But tyrants and heroes rise and fall, and historians sort out the pieces. Revan: Are you saying what we're doing isn't important? Jolee: Malak is a tyrant who should be stopped. If he conquers the galaxy, we're in for a couple of rough centuries. Eventually it'll come around again, but I'd rather not wait that long. So we do what we have to do and we try to stop the Sith. But don't start thinking this war, your war, is more important than any other war just because you're in it. I'm going to share this on Facebook (which I guess I don't really need permission for since it's a quote from a game and not from you, lol). But thank you just the same, because I had forgotten about that little exchange. I like how Jolee has one (his own) view on the matter, and yet is still able to argue that what they're doing is and isn't super important all at once. It makes me think (as many things do lately) about this presidential election in the US. Whoever wins gets nukes and becomes our public face to interact with other world leaders who have nukes. But, even in a worst case scenario of everything getting nuked to hell, it reminds me THEN of Jurassic Park. Malcolm discussed that as important as it seems to stop the dinosaurs, the Earth would eventually find equilibrium and recover. Even if it were nuked and all life was destroyed, it may take millennia to recover, but it would eventually. Mankind is the most dominant concept in our solar system right now, but eventually something or someone else will take our place. It's just so hard to wrap one's mind around times of that length!
    • The Avengers and Phil Coulson endorse Hillary. (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • I agree with Ren that it is disgusting. But my reasoning is that non-political persons are using their fame to push a political agenda and not giving legitimate political reasoning based on politics or policy. But that has been going on in politics for years so I don’t know why we hold the media to any higher standards now. I also agree with the sentiment that part of the issue is the career politicians that have resided in their seats of authority for too long with little reprisal for their bad policy and decisions. There does need to be a major change in who occupies the different seats, but people going out and voting should be the way to bring about the change. Every citizen has a voice and a vote, and... unfortunately, every citizen gets a vote. :P It is far too easy for political parties to play to the emotions of the populace and sway votes to their favor even though their policies are detrimental to the wellbeing of the nation. Or that their records do not support the promises they make the people. Everyone having a vote only creates a strong democracy when everyone is well informed with actual facts and not just buying in to whatever people tell them because they want you to vote for them. It has been said that everyone has a right to their opinion. But if one’s opinion is going to dictate policy, I would say that they only have a right to a well informed and educated opinion.

There are 177 visitors, 5 guests and 29 members online (one in chat): Grom Fett, steamboat28, Firewolf, Desolous, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Lykeios, Rickie, Brenna, Llama Su, tzb, Rick D, Namid, Cabur Senaar, Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Atticus, Hyrum Tigerprice, MadHatter, Cayce, Arthur H., Kyrin Wyldstar, Albali Cometlast, Albekl, Jaxz, Parnerium, KDave, ChrisPost, William, Rubicon.

Follow Us