wikipedia

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:14 #44016

I noticed that the Wikipedia information on Jediism is very scant and insufficient, I think someone should add more information. I still am not able to do it well (my writing is chaotic, my English is my third language only, and I don't trust google translate entirely :), so I ask (only humbly asking the question) if someone will be willing to take over this task in the interest of the community?

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:41 #44017

If people want to know more about us, they can find information on this site. We don't have any affiliation with Wikipedia, I believe.
"All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil."

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:51 #44018

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The article on Jediism at Wikipedia is horrible. In theory anyone can edit it but navigating through all their incredible rules is somewhat more difficult than levitating a car with The Force.

So many people have attempted to make it a good article. For awhile, not too long back, it was getting better.

Now it's almost worse than having no article at all.

I've come to realize that until there are actual published books about Jediism written by real Jedi we going to get nowhere with Wikipedia. Once there are references to point too we'll have a fighting chance.

Go to the article and look at how the page was at various times in the past and you'll see what I mean.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 16:25 #44033

• ren
  • ID: 4418
We need to check the rules on primary sources, as they make more sense than secondary ones on religion articles. (in fact other religion articles use primary sources a lot).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS#Pri...and_tertiary_sources

Could be good to check with wikiproject religion and NRMs as to what their policies are, if they give a green light, admins shouldn't complain and we would be able to easily revert any edits which dont comply with the policies (and therefore ruin the article).

I'd like to point out that technically, discussing the editing of articles outside wikipedia is against the rules.
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 18:09 #44034

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
We are not "discussing editing", other than to say it needs done....

But you can't tell me other people don't do it... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Graduated Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Edan, Knight Brenna, Senior Knight Firewolf
Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Llama Su, Trisskar

Life is just a party, and parties weren't made to last..." ~1999 by Prince~

"Questions and answers, sometimes there are no answers and sometimes the answer is yet more questions." ~Elizabeth~

"I don't have any answers, only more questions..." ~me~

Re: wikipedia 01 Nov 2011 04:08 #44044

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I don't care about the rule, what I care about is not being caught as it would be highly counterproductive.

Just a reminder that if you add a link to totjo on that wiki page, you should first make sure this thread doesn't appear in the latest posts...
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Pokemon Go! A generation lost in 1 day.... (Last post by Cayce)
    • While it is understandable to question, or even be wary of new things, especially when they're such a sensation... an in-depth look shows a large amount of positivity coming from Pokemon Go. 1. People who may not have gone outside often, now are getting exercise / socializing with others. I personally have friends who never walk, and now are walking 2-5 miles A DAY doing this. Their health is already improving. 2. Children and parents have a fun activity which really appeals to the children, to do together outside. 3. With an increased number of people outside, playing this game, crimes have been discovered/stopped that may not have, as well as people helping others in need. 4. From scavenger hunts to engage locals, to kids getting involved with their own unique ideas such as opening a 'supply station', or even making safety reflectors for those out at night, this is making people get engaged, active, and creative. (Seriously, check out those links, it's so cool!) I don't play myself, but many around me do. The standard 'moderation in everything' still applies, but when I logged onto the forums I was a tad disappointed to see a thread this long about Pokemon Go. I always envision Jedi as thinking ahead, and outside of the box. Let us seek the positive in new ideas, not confine ourselves to worrying that TV will kill the Radio, or that Radio will wipe out the printed words. Learn from the past, yes? :)
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful for a great game of Cards Against Humanity on Saturday night with others from the gathering. Watching Alex uncontrollably laughing during his go in the first round was hilarious :)
    • On the Nature of Crime vs War - An Open Discussion... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: In my opinion, if the Jedi love humanity we should lean to the left as much as we can. the left has been hijacked there are now people who promote traditionally leftist positions but who do it in ways that violate the underlying principles which lead to those positions if you oppose free speech you are not a leftist in my view if you promote racist ideology, you are not a leftist, you are a racist the left that i signed up for, and have always supported, believes in equality and opportunity for everyone, even the people we dont like the left, as i am seeing it today, is just as corrupted by money as the right, and has become just as belligerent and narrow minded as the conservative and fundamentalist right wingers the left used to be noam chomsky and ralph nader, bill moyers, al gore even barney frank (who was more liberal than most) ect ect people who would deliver commentary that was critical and biting, yes, but was also somewhat balanced in the sense that it did its best to be thoughtful and inclusive and to critique in a mature way, which started from the position that we are supposed to all be in this thing together, even though we disagree at least, thats how i perceived it at the time; maybe its me who has changed? now the tide seems to have shifted towards the likes of michael moore and francesca ramsey, and these people seem no different to me at heart than limbaugh or falwel: bigots bigots are bigots whatever side of the isle they stand on, and it is bigotry itself that i oppose
    • Something terrible? (Last post by Ryder)
    • Hmm... I sometimes get those feelings too. Usually it's just something that will happen in my personal life, but today has just been very normal for me until I read this post.
    • Milo Yianopoulos banned from Twitter-Bad precedenc... (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: ilo is intelligent and a comedian, he's also incredibly provocateur (no wonder you like him, Khaos, ha ha!). He stirs up trouble for the fun of it, then cries "freedom of speech" when his stirring gets him in trouble. There is a little more to it than that though. Martin Luther King also incited a lot of controversy, most anyone who speaks out provocatively does. But what does being provocative really mean in todays world? He incited much more violence too, if we want to get technical. While yes, he has fun, and is funny, he is also again, spot on on a lot of what he says, and he is fiercely intelligent. He wraps his points in some interesting ways, but it would be wrong to think he is not saying something worth hearing. Would Martin Luther King be banned from twitter? Somebody "banned" him with a gun. You see, it is about safe spaces and privilege, because of the manner of selection in there attempts to ban him and not others who also wrote poor reviews about Ghostbusters. You cannot call this the straw that broke the camels back given what goes up on Twitter everyday, and Milo is hardly the worst in any category. Also, I never claimed to like him. Thats a leap, as I disagree on a lot of what he says( of course, like anything I agree with some of it too), but not the way he says it, nor am I so immature that I cannot handle the way he says it and respond in a manner that pays more attention to the subject matter he is speaking about than the way in which he has decided to say it. I do not have to agree with someone, or like them or what they say to defend there right to say what they think is important. It is an attempt at character assassination in many ways, because if your going to ban someone, I think it should be over something more than a movie review. More than anything, with this, they have proven his point rather than making one of there own.
    • Philosophical Defenses for the Force; Common Groun... (Last post by Gisteron)
    • You are assuming that two distinct things need to be differentiable. For the sake of pragmatism I would make that assumption, too, but you do need to postulate that as an axiom if you want to use it. You are also saying that the nature of a thing equates to its identity. In your model two things cannot share a nature. That is also an unstated premise. Lastly, about step 4, and allow me to be a little nitpicky here... you say that there cannot be two substances who share the same attribute. To me that sounds like there cannot be two that have so many as one attribute in common. So ontop of the missing premises mentioned earlier, even granting them, this literal interpretation of step 4 in your argument wouldn't follow. As for step 11, I concluded that considering that we have no axiom stating that it is impossible for a substance to have impossible attributes. So for any substance we propose that is maximally real, we can easily define another one that is more real still by just saying that for every possible property the old one has, the new one has a pair of that property with a matchinig impossible one. The point here is, infinity is not a quantity, it cannot be a maximum. You are basically talking about a convergent thing that diverges. Well, I could at best agree that when we speak of something, we do have some idea of that thing and the thing then exists at least in the form of that idea. But when I describe a two-masted sailing yacht that has the attribute of being my property, that does not actually mean that there actually is a yacht I own. In fact, I might as well describe a roughly sphere-shaped space station with the firepower to blow peaceful defenseless planets to fist-sized chunks and simply by defining an object O with this set of properties S of which existence is an element, I have proven that the Death Star is actually out there. Also, the step 16 I'm reading states that it belongs to the nature of the (infinite) substance to exist, i.e. it has the attribute of existence. And considering how you defined the infinite substance as that which has all the possible attributes, you are basically saying either that existence is a possible attribute or that that which exists, exists. See, tautologies are - in my opinion - valid. Circular arguments are not formally wrong, they are just useless to conclude the non-trivial. If you define something as existent you don't need to spend another dozen lines only to restate it. Would I not know any better, I would have to think you are trying to confuse people, trick them with complicated language to accept a proposition without a proper intellectual justification. And I would also say that with all due respect to language and logic as tools of understanding the world around us, we don't get to ammend that world by just defining things into existence. If we could, we could define two things into existence that are mutually incompatible, thereby proving that logic is utterly unsuitable to understand anything in the actual world, thereby rendering pretty much any and all intellectual inquiry pointless.
    • Meditation (Last post by Soma)
    • Quote: Night times just before bed. I often listen to this with Simply Rain in the background from rain.simplynoise.com/ I literally play that same video at night while I sleep. Get suuuch good rest it seems like when this is on in the background!
    • Knights of Awakening: Jedi Safe Spaces (Charles Mc... (Last post by Leah Starspectre)
    • Quote: Quote: In doing so, you are rejecting the notion that people are different from you. I actually find science to be a bit racist when it comes to humans. Biologists do not seem to have a problem calling marginally different animals different species, but humans? No we're all the same. Except we're not, and ignoring that fact is harmful to our health. As "race" isn't formally defined and corresponds to categorisations below sub-species, it makes absolutely no sense to avoid it or redefine it for humans. I also find the humanocentrism in science (and most philosophy, for that matter) unbecoming. But I wouldn't consider Advaita Vedanta folks over in India to be racists, and they reject the notion that anything is different from anything else, which would necessarily include people. Actually, I find the idea of substance monism to be not only in line with the Force, but also an extremely viable logical conclusion (through Spinoza’s ontological argument for the existence of substance). I don't see how rejecting the idea that there is anything to discriminate against is a discriminatory idea, I think it's the exact opposite. Is a absolutely a viable logical conclusion, but the human mind and human culture is not logical. It's messy, contradictory and full of inconsistency. Philosophy and logic often exist within a kind of intellectual vacuum, which is fine to theorize about, but entirely impractical in reality. You can rarely "logic away" emotion, which is what this "safe space" debate is based on. There are groups of people who do not feel safe in their social context, whether or not they individually are in immediate danger. The point is that they feel they are not safe. The point of "safe spaces" is to allow nonjudgemental discourse in which their concerns can be heard and hopefully resolved. So rather than argue if their concerns are justified, why not simply listen and try to help them?
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by tzb)
    • Lights Out – Edward Thomas I have come to the borders of sleep, The unfathomable deep Forest where all must lose Their way, however straight, Or winding, soon or late; They cannot choose. Many a road and track That, since the dawn’s first crack, Up to the forest brink, Deceived the travellers, Suddenly now blurs, And in they sink. Here love ends, Despair, ambition ends; All pleasure and all trouble, Although most sweet or bitter, Here ends in sleep that is sweeter Than tasks most noble. There is not any book Or face of dearest look That I would not turn from now To go into the unknown I must enter, and leave, alone, I know not how. The tall forest towers; Its cloudy foliage lowers Ahead, shelf above shelf; Its silence I hear and obey That I may lose my way And myself.
    • Dilemma (Last post by Rex)
    • Thanks guys for the responses. Yeah, this person just keeps popping back in (and there's really no way to physically stop them), so I decided the best course of action was to hand over the evidence to the official leader of our group (even though they've been powerless to stop this person). I never would want to publicly reveal what I've seen, so I talked to the person and politely asked them to leave without mentioning the material. Loudzoo, I appreciate that proverb, if I see them as a problem or opportunity, that's what they'll be. Ultimately, as I'm not the only person affected by this, I will not act upon it, but ensure those with the proper authority are able to in good faith. Thanks TOTJO!

There are 117 visitors, 10 guests and 21 members online (one in chat): Guardianofwinds, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Khaos, Kit, Edan, Avalonslight, Senan, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Aqua, nux, WRRPhoto, HeirOfLight, dark scarf, MadHatter, Cayce, Gwinn, Kyrin Wyldstar, x57z12, Leah Starspectre, Albekl, Rahatha, Kaccani, LukaManuka, Lancer, Nike, Soma, Nathan2280.

Follow Us