How long have you been a Jedi for?

More
07 Jun 2018 02:54 #322500 by Almeida
Almeida created the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
So I kind of got a side road on my Jedi path months after it began, and I now found my way back. But I noticed that several of the people that were hear almost three years ago, even ordained ministers or knights from the time, are not active here anymore.

How long have YOU been here? How long have YOU been walking the path. Have you ever wandered away and then came back after a while? Why are you still here, after all this time?

Why do you think several people just leave the Path after a while?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arisaig, Manami

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2018 03:02 #322501 by Arisaig
Arisaig replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?

Almeida wrote: How long have YOU been here? How long have YOU been walking the path. Have you ever wandered away and then came back after a while? Why are you still here, after all this time?

Why do you think several people just leave the Path after a while?

:) Glad you're back on this Path. For myself, I've been here just under two years (two years officially next month), but I feel my life has been leading up to my eventual walk along this Path, albeit unbeknownst me me.

As for wandering away and coming back... there was a brief period of time when I considered it, but so many people reached out to me, wishing I'd stay that, well, I did. And I'm glad I did.

And as to why I'm still here, well, I love it. I love being a Jedi, and the call to constant betterment it gives. I love the people here, and I'm currently pursuing Knighthood, which has been a wonderful trial unto itself. :)

Finally, as to why people leave after a while... for some, life happens, as it it ought to do. They go away for a spell because they have things they need to attend to. Others leave this group in favour of throwing their efforts at another group. Others decide this isn't for them. Whatever it is, they often continue pursuing the Path away from this site, being Jedi in the battlegrounds of life. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Force speaks to us all, always. It takes a quiet mind to hear it, and a willing mind to listen.

Teaching Master: Knight Zenchi
Holocrons ~ IP I AP I Personal I
Sabre IVlog ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almeida

More
07 Jun 2018 04:07 #322503 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
Seven years here. I'm not sure why I'd leave, in this day and age visiting an internet forum is pretty much nothing at all..... if one is online anyway. Maybe it just serves as a reminder or something....

Anyway, I'm one of those 70's kids who saw the original trilogy fresh at the cinema with wide eyed youthyness, and it did play a large part in my worldview and approach to living, from way back in 1978ish - that makes 40 years LOL, but I don't know if that really counts to what your asking.

I didn't like the fiction of the late 80's and 90's, so it disappeared from my life in overt literal terms, but having been so integral to my 'being' I didn't turn my back on it's themes, messages and applications - just replaced the language and symbology with real world stuff. Which is useful in the real world of course :D

Wasn't until someone at a witchcraft forum in 2011 pointed out to me it existed and might suit me, and It fitted in with the synthesis I myself had done growing up and reinvigorated my own spiritual path. So there is two ways to look at it I guess, indicated/professed at 7 years uninterrupted, and true/personal is at 40 uninterrupted. There is really nothing in the doctrine as I see it which justifies not acknowledging the label to myself given its pivotal role in my life, and so if others are similar, then why not ;)

'The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.' ~ William Gibson
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
Former Apprentices: PCoronaf, Ratcliffe
Apprentices: Hypatia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almeida, Manami

More
07 Jun 2018 07:22 #322510 by JLSpinner
JLSpinner replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
TBH I can't remember the exact date I joined off of the top of my head. I've been here about three years now, although I have aspired to the Jedi since I was a boy. I used to call myself a Jedi for Christ back when I was attending a Christian Church.
I did have to step away for a couple months recently while I adapted my life to my new job. I returned because even though I didn't have the spoons to be active at the time, this place had won a place in my heart.
Why do people leave? I can venture to guess but I imagine the reasons vary from person to person. Personally I think there is a point when what we take away from here leads us on to other avenues. A point when we branch off on our own to live the path instead of learning about it or teaching it. Other reasons might involve a disagreement with the teachings or atmosphere of this community.

Teaching Master: Phortis Nespin
Apprentice: Kobos
Apprentice: Nakis
Contact Clergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almeida, Manami

More
07 Jun 2018 14:40 #322521 by rugadd
rugadd replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
I have been here on and off for 6 years. I have been actively pursuing a Jedi life for closer to 8. I've always poked around and read things, but not as often posted. I've started programs, found them compelling and wandered off to the things I study on my own. I won't rule it out, but I don't have a pull toward the programs here right now nor the foreseeable future. I continue as a member of this community because it is my church. It is the only place online that has replicated and grown that feeling I had as a child being among like minded, kind people.

rugadd

More
07 Jun 2018 15:21 #322524 by Manami
Manami replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
I think it's important not to confuse "the place" with "the path," and to bear in mind that the individual path changes more fluidly than organizations do, especially when we have so much information to work with these days. I've only been participating at TOTJO about six months, testing out whether Jediism, as a religion or label, works in my life or not, but I've been doing the things that interested me in trying it out for around three decades. Like Adder, I was exposed to the original trilogy in early childhood (I was 5 when the first one came out) and it was a huge impact on me and my friends, shaping the way we imagined the world. We had three years to dream up what all a Jedi could be before Empire came out and gave us more clues to play with. Yoda's speech set off some sort of innate homing signal in me that the worldview he was working from was what was right for me - especially contrasted with the religious views I was being indoctrinated into.

I learned to develop that on my own, pulling from whatever was available to me at the time, and that has led through a lot of different places as I continue to seek knowledge and refinement in my path. Sometimes the places just aren't a good fit for what a person needs. Though I'm not a TOTJO-made Knight (and doubt I ever will be), I've been an initiated Knight from an esoteric order for 15 years now. The Jedi label is, for me, only an potential overlay on that vow of dedication, which I put into practice through the work in my daily life. So if an organization forum isn't a place that augments that in some way, participation becomes less of a priority. I'm pretty self-led in my studies and so the camaraderie here tends to be more important to me than anything else, since it's the part that I really can't do alone.

What I truly hope, especially for those just starting out on their path, is that people understand everything that they need for success on the path is there inside them, and that "places" are only ways of helping to dig into that and bring it out. I've seen so many people over the years fall hard when a place or a belief system disappoints them, and end up either rejecting the inner impulse that they had followed in getting there or being so scarred by the experience that they turn away from anything that reminds them of the joy they had originally found in it. I've been close enough to that disillusionment myself at times to know how hard it is to find one's way back to the source. I have had to take some devastating losses as part of my path, and it can knock you off your horse for a while. The important thing is to set one's foundation based on what *you* value and are willing to stand for in the world, and then let that bring you right companions for the journey.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

More
07 Jun 2018 17:19 #322534 by Trisskar
Trisskar replied the topic: How long have you been a Jedi for?
My spiritual path started several years before highschool....not sure my age...15.....or so?

My path in the Jedi Community started in 2001 at jediism.org (now dead)

My participation here at this temple was back before the split....like...2006, maybe?

I have come and gone many times. Why? Because life is not meant to be straight and narrow....but filled with many twists and turns. In order to discover one'self we must explore more then one ideal.