Rituals, Daily or otherwise

More
13 May 2018 00:14 #321550 by Zenchi
Zenchi replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Uh huh... justify all you want... zenchi Oh master Jedi knight, but the fact remains to expose your cheap ploy... we are talking about spiritual ritual here, not brushing your one remaining tooth.

My rank has diply squat to do with it, and please cease with the insults, it's beyond old and tiresome, thanks...

"My word is my Honor, and my Honor is my life" ~ Sturm Brightblade

“Hypocrisy is the audacity to preach integrity from a den of corruption.”
-Wes Fesler

Apprentices: Arisaig Avalon
TM- RyuJin

I am not the Librarian, but if you need help with the Library, pm me...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Arisaig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2018 01:52 #321551 by Rosalyn J
Rosalyn J replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise
Correct me if I'm wrong. The opening post concerns rituals which are related to a spiritual practice. One might call this religious or routine depending on how those three words are used.
In the opening post, because his character is a cleric, I think of the rituals I have read about and/or participated in that a cleric or other spiritual guide/aide/ etcmight lead or feature heavily in:
The Eucharist , Baptism and Sunday Service are all rituals because they reconnect participants to fundamental parts of their own origin story and realign sacred and mundane time to this here now. The Eucharist commemorates Christ's last supper and brings to mind his sacrifice. When we partake, we are there in that Upper room with his disciples and each time we take it we "remember him".
Its a key part of Christianity because without the shedding of Christs blood, redemption would be impossible. So we remember that we are redeemed as a part of our origin story.
Baptism symbolizes a new north and the passing away of the old self. Christ himself was baptised. So we participate in an act in the same way and form that connection with him, remembering another part of our origin story.
Now, to speak on Jediism. Just today, we participated in a Knighting ceremony which began with an invocation which connected us to the Force in the here now. The added benefit is that we were all participating as a community, celebrating someone taking up the mantle of Knight. In those moments did we not consider our own (eventual) Knightings? Did it not tale us back to our own origin stories? Were we not invigorated?
That is what ritual does

Pastor, Temple of the Jedi Order
Teaching Maitre: Alexandre Orion
How Am I Doing
Kyber,Freja Saol-Wasser, Tobias Giesel,and Jhannuzs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, Goken, Twigga

More
13 May 2018 03:09 #321560 by Goken
Goken replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise
First of all, I would like to sincerely thank all of those who have replied with their own rituals or practices or routines or whatever you prefer to call them. I have enjoyed reading them. I feel like I should give some more explanation as to what I'm looking for personally and why. I really only gave you what sparked my questioning.

I love being a Jedi. I love the Doctrine, I love the training, and I love the feeling of connection. Lately though I have felt disconnected from all of that. One thing that used to keep me feeling connected to Jediism and the Force was coming to the Temple and being on the forum but, without getting into any specifics, the forum has become less of a place I really want to spend my time so I'm kind of losing that feeling. Then, while creating that character's religious practices, I realized that he had many symbols and practices that helped connect him to his religion and his god and I thought that it might help me if I had some for Jediism. So I started thinking about what those might look like and wondered if anyone else also had any symbols or practices of their own that they felt like sharing.

I don't expect everyone to, that's the great thing about Jediism, it's individuality, but I figured there would be some other Jedi out there who shared my desire for something to help connect me to it all and would be willing to share.

Like I said, thank you to everyone who has already shared theirs and I greatly look forwards to reading others' symbols or practices as more people post. And a special thank you to LTK for the link to that previous thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arisaig, Manami

More
13 May 2018 03:33 #321561 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise

Zenchi wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Uh huh... justify all you want... zenchi Oh master Jedi knight, but the fact remains to expose your cheap ploy... we are talking about spiritual ritual here, not brushing your one remaining tooth.

My rank has diply squat to do with it, and please cease with the insults, it's beyond old and tiresome, thanks...

Ok let's put rank aside. Are you willing...no, are you Jedi enough to stand for what you believe instead of this passive aggressive bullshit you and your minions have been pulling? You have trained them well to be sure but your nest of vipers always slither away, just like you, when confronted. Not very knightly in my opinion and the council here just condones your actions and looks the other way. You need to be demoted but they will not do that. So I'm sorry but pathetic responses in the shout box about how persecuted the council feels have no sympathy with me.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.

My IP Journal: Kyrin-IP
My AP Journal: Kyrin-AP
My Jedaii Journal: Kyrin-Jedaii
Apprentice to: Formely:Alan / Currently:Kamikeedi Temple of the Jedaii and Senan

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017

More
13 May 2018 04:29 #321562 by Carlos.Martinez3
Carlos.Martinez3 replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise
@Goken
I have a actual ritual practice way I contribute to my Jediism practice.

My meditation - how and why I do it
One - I believe in the Force and the inherit worth of all- my son says how CN a tree be alive it doesn’t have lungs to breath...(try explaining photosynthesis to my 5 year old is a joy I chalk to being a dad)
Ever see those movies where nature is time lapsed and you can see the growth and the lean of things as it grows? With my eyes closed I see or try to see things like this. I try to notice every living thing around me and ... it’s potential . It’s bloom if you will. Over and over adding new things to the practice ... day one it was the grasss... then I added the trees then the flowers so on and so forth.
When I begin my day with this thought - I add my self to the equation. ( for me) this
Helps me to find my self feeling “equal” or a part of the current growth rate. Some do it with the stars and I’ve done it before but for this hobbit like woodland creature -
If I focus on nature - I see ... more nature every day.
I use that to see my wife and my kids as well- often.
My ritual is to connect. Every morning to my planet and my sun and my self and how I fit in such a big piece of every one else’s whole.
I also repeat - today is a new day

Another ritual I use is that as I need it..I remind my self - in my practice - I am free.

I simply Pick up a rock and say - I am no longer held ... and let it go
Seems minute but it works for me

Hope this is what you were looking for . Feel Free to pm me if you like any time

www.templeofthejediorder.org/contact-clergy

Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goken, Twigga

More
13 May 2018 09:28 #321576 by elizabeth
elizabeth replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise
I have an odd ritual that came about through my time here.
Every morning when I first wake I spend a couple of minuites just being grateful, for the good, the bad, everything.
I also do breathing exercises, whenever my emotions or stress levels rise. A kind of purposeful ritual to use whenever.
Both of which I started due to Jediism and are now a part of life.

Its what you do that defines you
Not just empty words
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karn, Carlos.Martinez3, Goken, JLSpinner, Manami

More
13 May 2018 14:07 #321590 by Trisskar
Trisskar replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise

Goken wrote: One thing that used to keep me feeling connected to Jediism and the Force was coming to the Temple and being on the forum but, without getting into any specifics, the forum has become less of a place I really want to spend my time so I'm kind of losing that feeling.

It seems to me that, in following my own beliefs, when something starts to lose it's value or place of inspiration....it is because you yourself have grown beyond those old routines (Stepped outside the box). Being a Jedi of Jediism and the Force dosn't require you to be on the forums or to be inspired by them. (They change to gorram much to relay on anyways) It meerly requires you to be who you really are.

From your next statement...I think you already found that.

Then, while creating that character's religious practices, I realized that he had many symbols and practices that helped connect him to his religion and his god

As a writer myself.....I find my greatest inspirations and self exploration through my stories. Not necessarily through the trappings I give them (AKA: Rituals a Character I made practices) but through the spirit of the character himself. What does that Character actually DO? Rituals and symbols aside. Is he charitable? Perhaps a seasoned vet of hardship? Or a gentle soul to children? It is these characteristics that truly represent who YOU really are, and gives you a perspective to follow your own lead and create your very own Jedi-ness.

In my characters, i found strength, confidence and steadfast persistence. Never giving up. Oh sure....one of them is a Mystic that talks to the Sea Goddess and performs sea rituals, chants and symbols to connect to her powers......But they just make the story fun and colorful XD

But, that's just my thinking.

Being a Jedi is entirely individual. Rosalyn for example brought up Knightings and how that invigorates her. I find them extremely dull and hard to endure XD haha But that is where my character comes in <-- I respect other peoples boxes and endure it with steadfast tolerance because they have to do them and I have to do me. Together....we can find a middle ground and shakes hands happily :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Goken

More
14 May 2018 00:38 - 14 May 2018 00:40 #321604 by Manami
Manami replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise

Goken wrote: So I started thinking about what those might look like and wondered if anyone else also had any symbols or practices of their own that they felt like sharing.

For me, ritual is like a language - there's a structure to it capable of endless poetic expression, so it never gets stale for me. Even when I need to update or change a specific traditional form, I still may come back to the original years later and find totally new meaning in it. Right now I'm still in a kind of a minimalist "Spartan" phase where I'm very focused on tearing apart everything and finding what it absolutely necessary for me, and that coincided with the exploration of Jediism.

I've had one core ritual develop out of it so far. In the student housing I'm in currently, we can't have candles, so I replaced the candle that I used for my mandatory (according to the system I train in) focus meditation with a salt crystal lamp. The lamp reminded me of the "hearts of Kyber" reference in Rogue One, and going off the salt lamp's reputation as a purifier, I developed an evening meditation that incorporates the theme of the "purification of the heart": first a calming and centering meditation using counted breath, then a review of the day, then back to calming breath visualizing the light and energy from the crystal going into in and through my heart (coming out the other side) and from that, spreading throughout my body, following the flow of blood. That's the basics of it, and it's been a very beneficial practice so far.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Last Edit: 14 May 2018 00:40 by Manami. Reason: clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goken

More
14 May 2018 00:54 #321606 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: Rituals, Daily or otherwise
I try to every moment of everyday;
1. relate to my bodies natural rhythms, which tend to revolve around day and night cycles to a large extent ie drawing from the Force.
2. de-tethering habitual conceptualization from perception ie letting the Force help build meaning into perception
3. re-orientating my focus to my physical presence in space ie embodiment of the connection between self and non-self to promote that non-dualism.

Each of those is attended to by practices which help to reinforce or refine their ongoing application, like physical training, meditations and research to improve understandings (as illusion is empowered by ignorance, for better or worse).

So aside that from, eating becomes a ritual because it's a transmutation of matter into some form of energy (to some extent, and from my point of view) and also transmigration of matter through that above 'space'.
In the same way I view dreams as ritual efforts, of information between subconscious and conscious.

I've come to a conclusion that while health and other benefits do manifest from this, what people might be doing wrong is focusing on some of those benefits instead of the real reason - which in-evidently leads to disappointment because the motivation is detached from the effort and instead floating on some dream of reward. So perhaps for me 'the Force' is like the electricity in the machine which powers the thing toward those goals, which then keeps one centered on the present moment as reward rather then some distant future potential outcome.

'The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.' ~ William Gibson
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
Former Apprentices: PCoronaf, Ratcliffe
Apprentices: Hypatia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goken, Manami