What is Humility to you?

More
13 Mar 2018 14:06 #318583 by Proteus
Proteus created the topic: What is Humility to you?
In terms of being a Jedi, what does it mean to have humility and show humility? How does one go about knowing that they don't know, regarding any particular topic? :)

"It seems that I know that I know.
What I would like to see is the 'I' that knows me when I know that I know that I know."
- Alan Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Goken, Kobos, Arisaig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2018 14:16 #318584 by Arisaig
Arisaig replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
I think this plays back into the code. Ignorance, yet Knowledge. Even if this is simply knowledge of your own ignorance. Sometimes we just have to know that we do not know, and admit that to oneself.

And then we have other lines of the Doctrine to go off of:

6. Jedi use their skills to the best of their ability. We do not use our knowledge and skill to boast or be prideful. We are mindful of the ego and mindful of our actions, exercising wisdom, and humility.

Sometimes it requires hushing the ego. No one is gonna judge you for not chiming in in a topic you don't fully understand. People will, however, judge you for piping in when you clearly don't understand the information involved. Wisdom, as well, is the sound and timely implementation of knowledge. So if someone goes about pretending they know what they don't know and aren't humble about it, they prove themselves the fool for it.

7. Jedi understand their limitations. We recognise, and take responsibility, for our failures and develop a level of modesty about them. We respect the right for others to disagree and understand that they themselves are not perfect.

This obviously includes the limitations of our own minds, and the knowledge it contains. When we know we don't know enough, we have to take responsibility for that shortcoming and become better as a result. Sometimes the best thing we can do is sit back and learn so we can be better informed in the future. It requires one to humble themselves now so they can be excellent later.

I'm sure there is more I could go off of, but I think this should suffice, don't wanna overwhelm people with a huge post. XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Force speaks to us all, always. It takes a quiet mind to hear it, and a willing mind to listen.

Teaching Master: Knight Zenchi
Holocrons ~ IP I AP I Personal I
Sabre IVlog ~
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, Carlos.Martinez3, Goken, Kobos

More
13 Mar 2018 14:18 #318585 by steamboat28
steamboat28 replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, Carlos.Martinez3, Goken, Atticus, Serenity, Arisaig, Dano Ori, Drifa, Twigga

More
13 Mar 2018 17:22 #318602 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
Commonly understood, being humble means having a low estimate of ones importance and one’s accomplishments. And in this it seems that Jedi are taught not to think too highly of themselves or not to take credit for their achievements because what is accomplished is due to collective effort or the grace of a higher power in the Force. However I don’t find humbleness in this regard as an effective tool in my path.

For me, there is nothing, no universal force, which says my values and beliefs are any less valid than any others. Putting others first will take away personal motivation and undermine my ability to achieve my values. Because of this I adopt a form of rational self-esteem, not in the sense of boastfulness, arrogance, or conceit but as an honorable ambitiousness. It is a policy of doing not only ones best to serve but also to serve in the way I perceive will best fit my needs as well as the needs of others according to my standards.

To me humility simply means being honest with myself and others, not evading facts and admitting my errors. Then taking responsibility for them instead of blaming others. It teaches that I should not put my interests below those of others. I should strive for the opposite of this because others and their interests are not more worthy. It is a philosophy to serve others as I serve myself.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.

My IP Journal: Kyrin-IP
My AP Journal: Kyrin-AP
My Jedaii Journal: Kyrin-Jedaii
Apprentice to: Formely:Alan / Currently:Kamikeedi Temple of the Jedaii and Senan

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Senan, Twigga

More
13 Mar 2018 19:44 #318613 by Senan
Senan replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
When it comes to being humble, I'm learning a lot from both sides. As a Jedi who believes and tries to follow our Doctrine, I understand how important it is to let go of one's attachment to recognition and stroking the ego. I realize that service to others should be done selflessly and not for reward. The life of a Jedi is often a thankless one, but we train to serve others so that we can play our part in making the world better for everyone. Thank you, Ari, for actually pointing to our Doctrine in your explanation.

That said, I also agree with Kyrin that a healthy amount of ambition and reward is necessary to motivate us. In the process of making the world better for everyone, shouldn't we also recognize that we've made it better for ourselves too? It would be pretty miserable if our lives were spent in service to others that had no recognition given or no benefit to ourselves as well. As is often said here, we have to take care of ourselves in order to take care of others. Sometimes that stroke to our ego is what we need to justify putting in another hour of work to benefit others. It is okay to feel good about good work and be publicly rewarded for it, so long as the work is being done well and for the right reasons.

per fraternitate consurgamus
Knight | Councillor | Sergeant At Arms
Apprentices: vladucard , ThomasWFaulkner
Knight Journal | Seminary Journal | Senan's Health Journey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Kyrin Wyldstar, Arisaig

More
13 Mar 2018 23:43 #318623 by Rickie
Rickie replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
Don't talk about yourself unless asked.

Peace, kindness, compassion, tolerance, truth, knowledge, strength of mind, body and spirit are not always companions of mine but are always pursued.

More
13 Mar 2018 23:43 #318624 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
Humble v bumble, so literally being 'grounded', ie less about expression aligning with self focus, and more about it being open to the flow.

'The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.' ~ William Gibson
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
Former Apprentices: PCoronaf, Ratcliffe
Apprentices: Hypatia

More
14 Mar 2018 01:15 #318626 by joe.s.m
joe.s.m replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
Humility is being able to recognize your faults, not overly showboating for your successes and still being able to excel at what you're good at. The stroke to the ego isn't a bad thing, but it shouldn't be perpetuated in such a way to make others feel bad about their own skills. False humility can be a bad thing too, trying to make yourself look like you're humble, such as "I'm not worthy!" when accepting an award or promotion in any sense. In my opinion, false humility can be worse than someone that is cocky, because it can signal your cockiness as well as make it seem as though you're saying those presenting the award/promotion are mistaken in their assessment that you deserve it.

More
14 Mar 2018 22:39 #318721 by Proteus
Proteus replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
Does humility really involve lessening one's whole self? Would it not involve acknowledging that while someone is equal to you in general, they still have insights, skills, etc that you do not, and granting them respect because of that fact?

If I met a wushu master, he is my equal as a human being. However, I probably know how to play a guitar better than him and have a great deal of insight about being a musician, while he is a master of wushu over me and likely has quite the amount of insight and wisdom about what wushu teaches over me. If I were to arrive at his temple or dojo, would humility need to take place to respect that 1. This is his domain, and 2. What he teaches here is something I have long from mastered, therefore 3. In THIS context, he is my better and deserves my respect?

Would I be able to come to his dojo with my guitar and tell him "I don't believe your wushu is pure and right because it doesn't involve a guitar! You are a horrible excuse for a so called 'wushu' master seeing's how you don't use one!"?

What do you think would happen if someone did arrive at someone's dojo ready to redefine and challenge what they teach, having shown little as much demonstration of its principles as the dojo's masters?

"It seems that I know that I know.
What I would like to see is the 'I' that knows me when I know that I know that I know."
- Alan Watts

More
14 Mar 2018 23:16 #318727 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: What is Humility to you?
There is a difference between respect and humility though.

This guns for hire, even if we're just dancing in the dark.

My IP Journal: Kyrin-IP
My AP Journal: Kyrin-AP
My Jedaii Journal: Kyrin-Jedaii
Apprentice to: Formely:Alan / Currently:Kamikeedi Temple of the Jedaii and Senan

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017