Balance

More
05 Dec 2017 20:26 #307631 by Atticus
Atticus replied the topic: Balance

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote: Strictly IMO: The ideal of balance is all well and good, but there's no balancing compassion against its opposite. (Yes, we have to learn to balance our desire to provide aid with our need for self-care, but that's not what I mean here.) So if that is true, it stands to reason that there is other virtuous behavior that cannot be "balanced" against an opposite.

I would disagree. Sometimes the survival of the fittest of the pack requires the sacrifice of the weak or sick. In this sense that sacrifice can be seen as a cruel act by some but a compassionate act by others.

That's reflective of perception and judgment, though, not the actual behavior.

MadHatter wrote:

Atticus wrote: Strictly IMO: The ideal of balance is all well and good, but there's no balancing compassion against its opposite. (Yes, we have to learn to balance our desire to provide aid with our need for self-care, but that's not what I mean here.) So if that is true, it stands to reason that there is other virtuous behavior that cannot be "balanced" against an opposite.

What is the opposite you are speaking of? Why do you feel it cannot be balanced?

"Should not" would probably have been a better term for me to have used; didn't occur to me in context. However you denote the opposite of compassion -- there are several possibilities, but for purposes of this argument it doesn't matter which we use -- that isn't something I have to practice and partake of in roughly equal measure to compassion in service to some ideal of "balance".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Zenchi, Goken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2017 21:07 #307632 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: Balance

Atticus wrote:
That's reflective of perception and judgment, though, not the actual behavior.

What else is there?

This guns for hire, even if were just dancing in the dark.

My IP Journal: Kyrin-IP
My AP Journal: Kyrin-AP
My Jedaii Journal: Kyrin-Jedaii
Apprentice to: Formely:Alan / Currently:Kamikeedi Temple of the Jedaii

Associate Degree of Divinity - Earned July, 2017

More
05 Dec 2017 22:12 #307642 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: Balance
The Moon has a dark side and a light side, at the same time!! And it seems quite stable floating around and being all moonly. So too does the Earth, its called night and day.

So I'd say balance is an issue when considering dynamics of intrinsic relationships. That it would need a frame of reference to relate to it - and any chosen frame of reference being a help or hindrance depending on its design and application.

With the Moon and Earth there are different levels of complexity, but the frames of reference would be similar. From them we'd be able to ascertain where the dark side of the Earth was at any given time for example.

So maybe its as simple as asking what does the Force mean to you, and then how can concepts of light and dark serve your improved relationship to it. I hope this gets the boring answer award of the month :D

'The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.' ~ William Gibson
Training Master: Mark Anjuu

Med ~ Vlo ~ Jou ~ Deg ~ Sem ~ Mod
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Wolffe

More
06 Dec 2017 00:09 - 06 Dec 2017 00:11 #307650 by MadHatter
MadHatter replied the topic: Balance

Atticus wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

What is the opposite you are speaking of? Why do you feel it cannot be balanced?

"Should not" would probably have been a better term for me to have used; didn't occur to me in context. However you denote the opposite of compassion -- there are several possibilities, but for purposes of this argument it doesn't matter which we use -- that isn't something I have to practice and partake of in roughly equal measure to compassion in service to some ideal of "balance".

Must it be an equal measure to be balanced? Balance can be a calm state of mind or inner harmony. So, for example, do I need to give 50 percent of my time to myself and 50 percent of my time to others to be balanced? Or is a balance achieved if I have enough in my life to feel at peace and centered? Must we be equally cruel as kind to be balanced or is it balance to know that cruel actions can be the most compassionate route? For example, it might seem cruel to put down a dog to some but if they are suffering and medical help will not heal them or is too far away to save them then is not compassion balanced against the cruel action of taking a life by sparing that life more pain? I do not think balance is necessarily a 50/50 measure but whatever measure brings a harmonic state to your life or the lives of those you are trying to help. A good example is when making bread it's not fifty-fifty of water and flour to get a balanced dough but more like five to three for solids to liquids to get a balanced bread dough. Does that make sense?

Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Jzen

Knight of the Order/Youth Officer/IP Team lead.
Last Edit: 06 Dec 2017 00:11 by MadHatter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Karn, Goken, JLSpinner, Wolffe

More
11 Dec 2017 22:50 - 11 Dec 2017 22:51 #308113 by Lykeios
Lykeios replied the topic: Balance

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

JLSpinner wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: In my opinion, the force is neither light nor dark because the force does not really exist. The term is simply a poetic descriptor of the innate connection we all feel to life and each other. So in that sense there is no light or dark, no good or evil. There is only action, constructive or destructive. And what is constructive for one is invariably destructive for another. It is a matter of perspective and from this is born the very core of our reality, one of unavoidable conflict. And that will never change.

True. The conflict within and outside of ourselves will always be present. This is why it is so vitally important to recognize the power of balance and choice. The consequences of our thoughts and actions.

Yes you are right, Balance is the key. However I think many Jedi, while touting this, fail to truly embody this idea and instead still lean to one of imbalance. True balance implies that there will be times for peace and times for war, times for submission and times for aggression, times for forgiveness and times for vengeance.

*sings* "To everything turn, turn, turn. There is a season turn, turn, turn. A time to be born a time to die..."

:laugh:

“Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.” - Theodore Roosevelt

I know a few little things. Maybe someday I’ll know a few big things.
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017 22:51 by Lykeios.

More
12 Dec 2017 03:15 #308125 by Manu
Manu replied the topic: Balance
We might need to "balance" our love for debating semantics with... wait, what else is there? :ohmy:

Vis vobiscum :)

More
12 Dec 2017 03:26 #308127 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Manu wrote: We might need to "balance" our love for debating semantics with... wait, what else is there? :ohmy:

NOTHING!! There is nothing else! Only semantics!

More
12 Dec 2017 04:44 #308129 by Lykeios
Wait. Are we talking about “balance” or “equilibrium” here?

(You mentioned semantics, bring it on! :P )

More
12 Dec 2017 05:16 #308131 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Balance is a lie, only the semantics of equilibrium exists.

More
12 Dec 2017 05:48 #308134 by Lykeios

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Balance is a lie, only the semantics of equilibrium exists.

Are you being serious? Or making a joke? Lol.

Moderators: SenanJLSpinner