TOJO and Jedi Classes

More
18 Jan 2018 17:54 - 18 Jan 2018 18:12 #312510 by Arisaig
Arisaig replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes

FTPC wrote: for those that Know me
would I make a good Jedi Sentinel?

Labels are distracting. Focus on now, not titles that mean little, if anything.

EDIT: Question to FTPC... What does being a Sentinel mean to you, in your own words?

TM: Zenchi
Holocrons: ~ IP I AP I Personal I Sabre IVlog ~
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 18:12 by Arisaig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2018 18:48 - 18 Jan 2018 19:16 #312514 by OB1Shinobi
OB1Shinobi replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes
Yeah, what Ari said: what is it about being a Sentinel that youre interested in?

"One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond that is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways"
-Lord Russel
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 19:16 by OB1Shinobi.

More
18 Jan 2018 19:26 - 18 Jan 2018 19:27 #312516 by FTPC
FTPC replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes
Arisaig I can sense and the tone of Zenci you in words,

and why

do you ask OB1Shinobi?

Joined 14 January 2015 16:03 guest - Friday 24, 2015, member Saturday 1/27/2015.Novice -
Last Edit: 18 Jan 2018 19:27 by FTPC.

More
18 Jan 2018 19:44 #312517 by Arisaig

FTPC wrote: Arisaig I can sense and the tone of Zenci you in words,

and why

do you ask OB1Shinobi?

Twas a simple question in my own tone. Question still stands, as is.

More
19 Jan 2018 01:59 #312538 by OB1Shinobi
OB1Shinobi replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes

FTPC wrote: ....and why

do you ask OB1Shinobi?

Well, youve come back to this topic after a fair stretch of time so it seem like its important to you. But there are no real life Jedi Sentinels so i dont think theres anyone here (or anywhere else) who can train you to become one. But if you can identify what it is that youre drawn to about the Sentinel class, that would not only be useful as an exercise in self-understanding, but it might give you a sense of what kinds of real life domains you could be passionate about as you grow.
Whatever it is that you like about the Sentinels, there are probably some real life information sources on similar topics that you could find and learn from, and there are probably real life organizations (which you might eventually be able to join) who do those sorts of things.

"One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond that is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways"
-Lord Russel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
19 Jan 2018 15:10 #312577 by Streen
Streen replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes

Kobos wrote: to be honest we shouldn't get held up to much on titles as it can be a slippery slope back into an amplified ego.

THIS ^

"The Force is with me
and I am one with the Force;
and I fear nothing,
for all is as the Force wills it."

—Mantra of the Disciples of the Whills
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
19 Jan 2018 15:36 #312580 by Arisaig
Its true, focusing on them can be a slippery slope to the point they become everything to you.

But...

at the same time, does not the Jedi label, a title, move us towards greater things (or, at least, should move us towards greater things)? Yes, focus on being a Jedi, but if focusing on becoming a Sentinel make you pursue greatness, then focus on that, just don't do it for the sake of being able to brag ("I'm a Sentinel/master/grandmaster/knight ect so you should listen to me)... do it for you, do it to encourage yourself forward. I aim for the master rank not because I want to flash it about, but because it is my mountain to climb, and climb I will. When I find I cant go forward, I find ways, tools, resources, that will assist me in going forward.

And once I get to the top of that mountain, its time to grow wings and fly amongst the stars, beyond, and into the cosmos.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick

More
19 Jan 2018 16:07 #312585 by Kit
Kit replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes
I find labels and titles both inspirational and comforting. They can be descriptive and useful but also limiting. It takes experience to work with labels for your benefit without them binding you at the same time.

I don't classify myself as a Sentinel but Kamizu (my...alter ego...bit of a story so in an effort of keeping it more on topic, if you're interested in more detail PM me!) is a Sentinel. I take inspiration from his warrior spirit, confidence, focus, determination, finesse, and endurance. There's other things in him I admire but they have more to do with his personality than the Sentinels. But since Kamizu is a Sentinel, I have a soft-spot for them and if I had to choose, I'd go that route.

But, if I got the choice to pick classes out of any book, I identify best as a Knight Mage (from The Obsidian Mountain Trilogy by Mercedies Lacky and James Maloroy) Again the warrior spirit, stubbornness, determination, skill and all that. But include a touch of healing and a lot of leadership.

The big thing I look up to in those two is that they're doing their best with the innate abilities they're given. They don't try and fight the 'conformist' way. They have their own skills and grow with those (not to ignore other ways of doing things). One of my favorite quotes is a German proverb "What the lion cannot do, the fox can". :3

Apprentices: Gwinn, x57z12, and Goken
Knight of Tea | Anonymous Feedback | Open Study Hall | Personal Journal | Degree Journal |
"But it is one thing to read about dragons and another to meet them." -Ursula K. Le Gwinn, A Wizard of Earthsea

The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Arisaig

More
20 Jan 2018 03:58 #312686 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: TOJO and Jedi Classes
I reckon as a Knight specialization, they'd be served by either real life occupation, or Temple duty. Might take a tweak here and there but it could be sorta analogous to the fiction in some regard.

'The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed.' ~ William Gibson
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
Former Apprentices: PCoronaf, Ratcliffe
Apprentices: Hypatia