Feeling the Force

16 Aug 2017 17:52 #297730 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: Feeling the Force

ReallyRiver wrote:
I can only ever speak for myself; I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in that. I believe we all create our own realities. In mine, there is a Force I can feel. Whether or not it's Real (whatever that is), who knows.

Ok that's fine.
If one insists on holding an irrational position by claiming they are justified in holding beliefs that are not reasonable there is really no common ground from which further productive discussion can be had.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 17:59 #297731 by steamboat28
steamboat28 replied the topic: Feeling the Force
I experience the Force as an impersonal, non-sentient energy field that connects everything in the universe together. It is the sum total of the chi of creation, just as the oceans is the sum of all the tiny water droplets moving as they're directed. I believe that the Force can have momentum, like a wave, and that it can move things (like a ship), but I don't personally believe it has a will other than our wills reflected in it. Which is why I try to be careful about what I put my willpower into; it affects the whole world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Lykeios, Brick

16 Aug 2017 18:31 #297735 by Connor L.
Connor L. replied the topic: Feeling the Force
I just wanted to thank Proteus too. That almost made me cry on the subway. Lol. Beautiful and cuts directly to truth in experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, ReallyRiver

16 Aug 2017 18:53 #297737 by ReallyRiver
ReallyRiver replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ReallyRiver wrote:
I can only ever speak for myself; I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in that. I believe we all create our own realities. In mine, there is a Force I can feel. Whether or not it's Real (whatever that is), who knows.

Ok that's fine.
If one insists on holding an irrational position by claiming they are justified in holding beliefs that are not reasonable there is really no common ground from which further productive discussion can be had.

Fair enough. Force be with you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar

16 Aug 2017 18:53 #297738 by Avalonslight
Avalonslight replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ReallyRiver wrote:

Ok that's fine.

It's called Faith, Kyrin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Atticus, Kobos, Brick

16 Aug 2017 18:59 #297739 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Avalonslight wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ReallyRiver wrote:

Ok that's fine.

Yes I understand, but as I stated above, faith is nothing more than unjustified belief.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

16 Aug 2017 19:10 #297742 by Atticus
Atticus replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Avalonslight wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ReallyRiver wrote:

Ok that's fine.

Yes I understand, but as I stated above, faith is nothing more than unjustified belief.

If you don't mind my saying, your definition contains a value judgment that doesn't leave much room for spiritual experience. Repeat it as you will, some will undoubtedly be loath to meet you on those terms when you diss their beliefs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalonslight, OB1Shinobi, Brick

16 Aug 2017 19:54 - 16 Aug 2017 19:56 #297763 by Kyrin Wyldstar

Atticus wrote:
If you don't mind my saying, your definition contains a value judgment that doesn't leave much room for spiritual experience. Repeat it as you will, some will undoubtedly be loath to meet you on those terms when you diss their beliefs.

Well your right, it is a value judgement but I am not "dissing" anyone's beliefs, hence the reason I originally posted in this thread. In fact I asked the OP to better define what they believe and basically why they believed what they did. What reasoning caused them to arrive at that. It was not until Rivers question that a tangent occurred in which she stated she was going to believe what she believed and didn't feel the need to give reasoning why. And that was fine but I was really originally trying to get at what people believe "The Force" is and why they believe it is such.
Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017 19:56 by Kyrin Wyldstar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

16 Aug 2017 19:59 #297766 by Brick
Brick replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Yes I understand, but as I stated above, faith is nothing more than unjustified belief.

What's so bad about faith?

How is it possible to believe anything without some degree of faith? Even if one were to rely solely on facts. One has to have faith that those facts are actually true. 10 years ago it was a fact diesel was better for the environment, now not so much. Things that were once believed to be 100% undisputable fact are disproved all the the time.

Sure, facts are usually deemed more reliable, and are certainly more justifiable, but they still require faith. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalonslight, Kobos, ReallyRiver

16 Aug 2017 20:13 #297769 by Atticus
Atticus replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Atticus wrote:

Well your right, it is a value judgement but I am not "dissing" anyone's beliefs, hence the reason I originally posted in this thread. In fact I asked the OP to better define what they believe and basically why they believed what they did. What reasoning caused them to arrive at that. It was not until Rivers question that a tangent occurred in which she stated she was going to believe what she believed and didn't feel the need to give reasoning why. And that was fine but I was really originally trying to get at what people believe "The Force" is and why they believe it is such.

And that is a worthy conversation to have. One should expect, though, that in such a conversation you are likely to encounter a great many divergent opinions, as others have pointed out up the thread, most of which won't be fairly classified as "objective" or "truth". The question itself, "how do you feel the Force?" is one with subjectivity baked right into the syntax.

Objectivity / subjectivity applies to the reception of the message as well as the message itself. I believe that it was not your intent to disparage anyone's beliefs. I believe that we can sometimes do so unintentionally despite our best intentions. Most of all, I believe that when I have done so unintentionally, I have to acknowledge that. I may have wanted to send one message, but a different message was received, and that's on me. I can't dismiss another's subjective experience of our interaction, because it's their experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar

Moderators: SenanJLSpinner