Feeling the Force

16 Aug 2017 05:59 - 16 Aug 2017 06:06 #297628 by Lykeios
Lykeios created the topic: Feeling the Force
How often do you "feel" the Force? How often do you feel it flowing through you or sense it around you?

I just started to wonder about this as I was watching Rogue One (the scene where the main character [forget her name, lol] is told by her mother to trust the Force) I've felt what I would call the Force a few times. I remember what it "tastes" like, how it prickles at the senses. Personally, I feel it most when I'm "in communion" with my Gods (most typically Dionysus in particular). Or when I meditate or slow down to really pay attention to the world around me.

As Jedi/Force-realists/Jedi-realists (personally, I don't like the "realist" tags as they sort of imply that the Force may not be real and that we're just "forcing" ourselves into believing it is real) we are supposed to be aware of the Force, to allow it to flow through us, but how often do we really do this? I imagine some of you have never really felt it, and I think that's OK. I think that some of us even fool ourselves into thinking we've felt it when we haven't, kind of like a psychic who doesn't have "the gift" but forces herself to believe she does. That's probably less OK.

In any case, how often do you really "work with" or even feel the Force? Also, HOW do you experience the Force?
Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017 06:06 by Lykeios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 06:23 - 16 Aug 2017 06:58 #297632 by Brick
Brick replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Lykeios wrote: How often do you "feel" the Force? How often do you feel it flowing through you or sense it around you?


I often feel closest to the transcendent (what we as Jedi call the Force) when I see something, whatever it may be, that forces (no pun intended) me to stop whatever I'm doing just to admire it. It can be something as big as the grand canyon, or as small as a butterfly, but whatever it is it completely captivates me for that moment.

It's what Campbell spoke about in terms of 'participating in divinity'. I wrote about this in the IP, hang on

(sometime later)

Brick in his IP wrote: I had to laugh when Campbell said 'when you are before a sunset or mountain, or the beauty of this or the beauty of that, and you pause and say "aaah", that is participation in divinity'. Its true! I remember one day walking back to school from town. It had been raining early that day so the air was moist, but it was also pleasantly warm. I paused under some trees outside the school building and looked up, watching the light shine through the leaves. That was my "aah" moment. My friend Lucy joked that I looked like some lost 'EMO Child', I laughed it off and we continued on our walk, but I have always remembered the beauty of that moment.

I think it might just be something to do with me and trees. (I know I've gone completely of topic but what can you do to stop me? hmm?) There is a route one can take when travelling from my work to house and vice versa, it takes an extra 20 minutes because it involves going through the main town. Total pain in the arse. BUT there is a small stretch of the road as you come out of the town where the road dips and curves where some trees have grown and formed a kind of 'tunnel'. On certain days, like when it is particularly sunny, or the first day it snows and all the trees are still white, I always drive down this road. There is something so breath taking about it. Maybe that is me participating in divinity?

Last Edit: 16 Aug 2017 06:58 by Brick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dechlain, Lykeios, Avalonslight, Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 06:46 #297637 by Lykeios
Lykeios replied the topic: Feeling the Force
Thank you, Brick. I'd somehow forgotten about the trees. I believe in, and have met, tree nymphs, and they DEFINITELY cause me to feel the "Force" or the "divine" or what have you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 15:33 #297699 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Lykeios wrote:
As Jedi/Force-realists/Jedi-realists (personally, I don't like the "realist" tags as they sort of imply that the Force may not be real and that we're just "forcing" ourselves into believing it is real)


But what if this is true? What if there is no such thing as a distinct energy field called "The Force" and you have convinced yourself it is real without justification? I think in order to begin to answer this question, the first thing we would need is an agreed upon definition of "The Force". So what is "The Force" to you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 15:43 #297701 by Kobos
Kobos replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Lykeios wrote:
As Jedi/Force-realists/Jedi-realists (personally, I don't like the "realist" tags as they sort of imply that the Force may not be real and that we're just "forcing" ourselves into believing it is real)


But what if this is true? What if there is no such thing as a distinct energy field called "The Force" and you have convinced yourself it is real without justification? I think in order to begin to answer this question, the first thing we would need is an agreed upon definition of "The Force". So what is "The Force" to you?


Literally, the second time today you have said the exact response I had but probably better than me.

As for the Force, each of us must find our own definition. I used to only feel it when I was competing in athletics/engrossed in a piece of art I was making or sometimes on drugs lol. Now though I define the Force as all things at all times. Yea, that's incredibly vague for a reason, I feel it in the wind when I walk outside, I hear it in the voices of students as they walk by my class room, I see it in the faces of those talking to me, I read it in the context and words here on these boards. Like listening to a never ending song that encompasses literally everything I perceive, the thing is whether I choose to tune in at any given point. When, I meditate I strive to combine all my senses to simply let them all have access to the consciousness in the mind. "Reach out with you're feelings." - Obi Wan that there is key to feel the emotion that is not your own that's a weird but amazing feeling. So, I realize this is full of contradictions and vagueness but I am only showing you my point of view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 16:28 #297714 by ReallyRiver
ReallyRiver replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Lykeios wrote:
As Jedi/Force-realists/Jedi-realists (personally, I don't like the "realist" tags as they sort of imply that the Force may not be real and that we're just "forcing" ourselves into believing it is real)


But what if this is true? What if there is no such thing as a distinct energy field called "The Force" and you have convinced yourself it is real without justification?


I've been ok with the placebo effect in medicine; if my pain goes away I don't care if it was "real" meds. I suppose I feel the same way about the Force. Even if I've just convinced myself, I feel better and in dedicated to doing things that support others to feel better, so... In a way, who cares why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Lykeios, Dano Ori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 16:37 #297717 by Proteus
Proteus replied the topic: Feeling the Force
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Dechlain, Connor L., Alexandre Orion, Lykeios, Avalonslight, Atticus, Kobos, Brick, MarVinKra, vladucard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 16:44 #297719 by ReallyRiver
ReallyRiver replied the topic: Feeling the Force
Thank you for sharing that, Proteus. Genuinely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 17:11 #297722 by Kyrin Wyldstar
Kyrin Wyldstar replied the topic: Feeling the Force

ReallyRiver wrote: so... In a way, who cares why.


I care because I care about truth. This is the problem with faith, it is unjustified belief. And if you can hold one unjustified belief you can use faith to come to any number of erroneous or wrong conclusions and hold many beliefs that are not true. I could have faith that white persons are better than black persons, for example, and I could truly believe that and even act on that belief. But does that make it true? Does that make it right? No it doesn't.

You have a belief that Placebos are helpful but just because it makes you feel better subjectively does not mean it does for others. In fact for many people the placebo effect does not work. And if you were one of those people wouldn't you rather put your belief in something that was justifiable and objectively proven effective rather than a faith base subjective claim that was not ultimately true?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2017 17:21 #297725 by ReallyRiver
ReallyRiver replied the topic: Feeling the Force

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

ReallyRiver wrote: so... In a way, who cares why.


I care because I care about truth. This is the problem with faith, it is unjustified belief. And if you can hold one unjustified belief you can use faith to come to any number of erroneous or wrong conclusions and hold many beliefs that are not true. I could have faith that white persons are better than black persons, for example, and I could truly believe that and even act on that belief. But does that make it true? Does that make it right? No it doesn't.

You have a belief that Placebos are helpful but just because it makes you feel better subjectively does not mean it does for others. In fact for many people the placebo effect does not work. And if you were one of those people wouldn't you rather put your belief in something that was justifiable and objectively proven effective rather than a faith base subjective claim that was not ultimately true?


Yeah... but I'm not. I can't / won't rework my path to explain someone else's.

I can only ever speak for myself; I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in that. I believe we all create our own realities. In mine, there is a Force I can feel. Whether or not it's Real (whatever that is), who knows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: SenanJLSpinner