Striving for an Ever-changing Goal

13 Sep 2017 11:46 #301377 by Lykeios
Lykeios replied the topic: Striving for an Ever-changing Goal
Great video that basically covers this very topic. The audio is from Alan Watts.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2017 17:13 #301407 by Manu
Manu replied the topic: Striving for an Ever-changing Goal

Proteus wrote: Let's just not forget that a path of anything, whether it be an individual or the entire temple, has no actual destination, only an ever moving process. Focus on the process and we will find no need for a destination again.

Maybe instead of calling it a "path" we should rename it. Maybe it shouldn't be "Jedi path" but "Jedi song", or "Jedi dance" :P

I like the video Lykeios. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios, Kobos

13 Sep 2017 22:57 - 13 Sep 2017 22:59 #301466 by Adder
Adder replied the topic: Striving for an Ever-changing Goal
Path and process are different to me, perhaps not in essence but in nature ie scope. And so it feels a bit like the concept of 'path' is being mischaracterisated, IMO, from how I see it anyway... such that the path is not aging. It's not the track of 'a' process. It's not about the goal, as process is about the goal. Process/s serve/s path. Path is the experience of processes.

What he is, or should be, talking about is changing the form of 'reward'. They call it a reward system for a reason. If experience as a function of time is contextual, then I think a better definition of the path is the process of shaping that context of experience - which just happens to be available to us throughout our life, and indeed is probably constitiuent to sentience whether we ignore it or embrace it.

For example I tend to see the rat race as more like that mouse wheel, you work to pay the bills so you can go to work, repeat. It just keeps going until you get old and cannot do it anymore and then you just cling to whatever you've got left until the end. Nothing wrong with that if its your passion, but its engineered to be all about work. Most of us don't get to do what we love, and if we do it doesn't stay like that for too long. So if you want to get off the rat race, then its about not needing to work anymore I guess - and maybe it needs to be about what is of passion to you. We can have more then one passion though, and if we want to live a long and happy life, then something which can serve both longevity and happiness might be ideal. For Jedi it's being a Jedi I guess :D

Knight of Jediism
GDip Comp, A.Div, CertIV Eng(Mech), MCP
Kni -- Deg -- Sem -- Vid -- Med -- Mod

Last Edit: 13 Sep 2017 22:59 by Adder. Reason: on != one

Moderators: SenanJLSpinner