Topic-icon Jedi: Pacifists or Gaurdians?

09 Jan 2017 08:48 #271564 by Korvus

Something I have been thinking about as I've studied, what do you consider the Jedi to be? Given our influences from Buddhism, and Hinduism. Who practices Pacifism? I am genuinely curious as to a fellow Jedi's views on this.

I personally practice self defense, and have my entire life. I believe it is my duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. Not like a police, but as a man looking after his fellow man. As a result, I carry a handgun, and I have since I was 18 years old.

This is not to say I am actively looking for a fight. In my entire life, I have only had to defend myself twice. Any other situation that has arised in the past I have managed to de-escelate using conversation.

I am very eager to see what everyone has to say.

May the Force Be With You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jan 2017 08:59 #271565 by steamboat28

I agree with Yukiyoshi Takamura sensei on the topic:
Yukiyoshi Takamura wrote:

“Some aikido teachers talk a lot about non-violence, but fail to understand this truth. A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence. He chooses peace. He must be able to make a choice. He must have the genuine ability to destroy his enemy and then choose not to. I have heard this excuse made. “I choose to be a pacifist before learning techniques so I do not need to learn the power of destruction.” This shows no comprehension of the mind of the true warrior. This is just a rationalization to cover the fear of injury or hard training. The true warrior who chooses to be a pacifist is willing to stand and die for his principles. People claiming to be pacifists who rationalize to avoid hard training or injury will flee instead of standing and dying for principle. They are just cowards. Only a warrior who has tempered his spirit in conflict and who has confronted himself and his greatest fears can in my opinion make the choice to be a true pacifist.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Karn, Adder, Goken, Cyan Sarden, Korvus, Skryym, Reiji, Brick

09 Jan 2017 19:12 #271607 by Proteus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus Staar, Adder, Zenchi, Cyan Sarden, Mael, MartaLina, Reiji, Kobos, Arisaig

09 Jan 2017 19:44 #271610 by Wescli Wardest

Now, when I reply, it is as myself and not representative of the Council.

Pacifism is only an effective display of values if you possess the capacity for violence. And example, if I could not draw and said that I refuse to draw, well, that doesn’t really mean anything. But if I were a renowned artist and I refused to paint or draw… that would have some meaning. Often times, people will cite Gandhi as a pacifist and his ability to persuade through pacifism as a representation of pacifism that works. But without an entire nation behind him that has the ability and will to fight, it is would have been empty and accomplished nothing.

I’m sure I will annoy some people with that.

A pacifist is a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable. And pacifism is the belief that any violence, including war, is unjustifiable under any circumstances, and that all disputes should be settled by peaceful means.

These are noble ideals and not very practical at all in reality, in my opinion. It is an idea where the very act of resisting is constructed into a realm of black and white. Where we learn that black and white are just perspectives and not the reality of the universe.

War does not resolve conflict. It can end a conflict, but there is a big difference between an ending and a resolution.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, elizabeth, Zenchi, Korvus

09 Jan 2017 19:45 #271611 by Trisskar

I believe in always being prepared. I also believe that if it dosn't hurt you, then its worth learning. All knowledge is worth having. I trained in wado ryu, Tai Chi, Yoga, Concealed Carry, Rifle, Japanese sword. I may never ever be in a position that will require me to use it. But by learning it, i have learned more about myself.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Korvus

09 Jan 2017 19:56 #271612 by Arisaig

One can be both. A guardian protects, and a pacifist also protects. To clarify, the guardian protects others by taking action, and the pacifist protects others by taking a very different form of action.

In the end, do not cause violence without reason, if at all. Do not carry a weapon in hope of using it to save others, but in hope you will never have to use it. There are always other ways of being a guardian without a weapon. The right words can change the world, and the pen can be as sharp as the sword. Train everything equally, and you will find no need for a physical weapon.

Sometimes a weapon is needed, and when it is you must exercise self control. You control the weapon, not the other way around. Use all other avenues before pulling out a weapon. The Jedi are peaceful, and must do their best to be the calm in the storm, the voice of reason in the thunderous chaos.

This is but my own opinion however. I do not allow myself to control the Path of others, but I do hope to influence it. MTFBWY.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Wescli Wardest, tzb, Zenchi, MartaLina

09 Jan 2017 20:00 #271613 by Kyrin Wyldstar

The idea that we must somehow gain this capacity is a false one I think. Everyone possesses the capacity for violence through escalation. If you are attacked there is always the choice to obtain a greater weapon than your attacker and use it against them.

09 Jan 2017 23:47 #271628 by Alethea Thompson

A Jedi is a Guardian.

How do you view the perfect mother/father? Do they fight for their child(ren) when there is a threat? If not, well, you've got a terrible opinion of the perfect parent XD.

But seriously, there is a reason that a parent is called a Guardian in legal terms. They are there to protect and teach their children to live in the world. They help them in a variety of ways- medically for minor illnesses, then rely on more trained personnel when the problem is beyond their control. They are there for their children as the first defense in psychological first aide. A Parents put their lives in danger to save their child if the need ever arises. They're role in the life of a child is the perfect embodiment of what a Guardian is. And to me, that's what a Jedi should outwardly express in the adventure they take up.

Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson

There's no such thing an enemy. Just an obstacle you have to overcome -Me.

10 Jan 2017 01:30 - 10 Jan 2017 01:33 #271632 by Sirch Nayr

If somebody attacks me or my family with the intent to kill or otherwise harm, then I'm going to do everything within my power to beat them until they are no longer a threat. If they die as a result, then I will live with that on my conscious.

I like to believe I value most life, but I do not value a scumbags life that would take advantage of honest folk. I don't care if mommy didn't hug him enough, He wants to hurt me or mine, He's going to lose teeth.

I'm a little bit "Wild west" about things, but I try to stay out of trouble and avoid conflict as much as possible.

Last Edit: 10 Jan 2017 01:33 by Sirch Nayr.

10 Jan 2017 01:34 #271633 by Adder

I define pacificts as adherents of the process of pacification.... pacification being the an attempt to create or maintain peace. A guardian could from that point of view be a pacifist or not, such those terms might not be equivalent enough to be directly comparable. So I'm with Arisaig in saying both!?

- Knight of Jediism & This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
- Teaching Master to Hypatia , Pcoronaf & Ratcliffe
- Apprentice to Mark Anjuu

Knight Journal -- Degree Journal -- Seminary Journal -- Mod Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, Kobos, Arisaig

Moderators: Desolous