The Force and Consciousness

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 17:11 #117398

If your question is, "Does the Force have consciousness?" I would interpret that as, "Is there consciousness within the Force?" to which I would reply that the answer is quite obviously yes. I am a part of the Force and I have consciousness so therefore the Force has consciousness.

If the question intended however was, "Is the Force a consciousness?" I might hesitate to answer. The Force in my belief is not a single consciousness, it is however a collective consciousness. There are billions of consciousnesses all coming together and there are forms of consciousness we cannot explain. I feel that there is no simple answer to this question as posed because consciousness is not an exact science, and mayhaps it never will be. It all comes down to belief and in the end neither side can "win" in the consciousness vs. non-consciousness debate because there is not definitive proof.

So, does the Force have consciousness or does it not?
I must agree with Proteus in saying both and neither.

It is similar to the study of light.
When you test light to see if it acts as a particle, it does.
However when you test light to see if it acts like a wave, it also does.
Is light a particle or a wave?
It is simultaneously both and neither.

It is important to remember that what is observed corresponds directly to how it is being observed.

May the Force be with you,
Rai
"No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you"
~Bo Burnham

Apprentice under Training Master Senior Knight Ryujin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Lykeios

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 19:18 #117415

• Rickie
  • ID: 12235
JohnsonMD wrote:
Let me pose the following question for discussion:

Does the Force have Consciousness?

For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume:
  • Consciousness is defined as: the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself; Sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind.

If possible, please provide some foundation to your answer - so as to help define what that may be (or not be) and provide insight for those also seeking such knowledge.

Nope The force is a sum but not the whole. Made up of all living forces but is not life or a life as defined above. If it were it would be beyond us anyway and beyond our ability to understand it but that doesn't mean we can know of it.

Don't over/deep think or try too hard to define this stuff this stuff. Just live it. :)

Does a small child deep think or define how to walk? Nope, it just gets up and learns how to walk. :)

Good question though.
I used to call myself Rickie The Grey but that was silly so I wish to be called just plain old "Rickie"

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 22:06 #117424

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Some of the thoughts provided I can find common ground with, some of them I cannot.

However, said discussion has brought up topics and other aspects that didn't cross my mind prior, or served to either support or deny what I had already thought.

In the end...I have found this productive and worthwhile.

Thanks!
"There are attempts, and there are accomplishments. Histories only praise one."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raikoutenshi
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2013 22:06 by JohnsonMD.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 06:39 #118261

JohnsonMD wrote:
sidvkili wrote:
JohnsonMD wrote:
Can you expand on the why/how of that Alexandre?

does everything need deep thought?

I could just respond to that by stating, "yes," but wouldn't be helpful now would it. ;)

Everything needs deep thought so that it can be understood, especially those things which are not self evident. The alternative is to know blindly, which imo is folly.

For example; the boots that I just put on my feet and laced up. They at one point required deep thought(s) so that I could come to understand that:
- They protect my feet,
- they are made out of this and that material,
- they are not water-proof! :(
- they are within the regulations (Army)

etc, etc

That level of thinking isn't too complicated, but it does require that I think about it further than just putting something on my feet and calling it a boot.

Things such as the Force, or God, or dogmatic approaches to life and the great mysteries therein require deep thought. Now, maybe that deep thought is not so deep for other people - however, it is necessary for me to have this understanding. Thus, if I ask for clarification, it is so that I can think more deeply upon what is said to me and thusly apply it to my line of thinking. Answers like, "yes" etc, are not helpful in that cause and only serve to complicate an already complicated issue (regardless of the ease at which the one who states such finds the issue complicated for them or not).

Hope that helps to explain where I am coming from.

yeah, it proves my point.
everything doesn't need deep thought. You need or want deep thought.

I stole my friends lunch a few days ago. Why? because I was hungry and I wanted what he had. Did you understand why I did it? Did it have deep thought?

Nope
I like the stars.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 11:17 #118270

A hypothetical scenario:

Premise 1: I define the Force as an existing, transcendental, conscious, eternal, interactive being. A being that fits not this description is not the Force.
Premise 2: The being we talk about is the Force.
Conclusion: Therefore, the being has consciousness i.e. the Force has consciousness.

This is a form of the ontological argument for the existence of God - by defining an entity in a certain way it becomes impossible for any entity under the same label in the course of the given discussion to be anything else. That way you can prove any property the entity might have like consciousness or existence: If it had not the property, the label would no longer fit.

Now the flaw is, of course, that it can prove everything and therefore is useless in proving anything.
You define the Force as something conscious (or not), and it is conscious (or not) so long as it is the Force.
You define it as existing and it exists so long as it is the Force (or not).
You define it as both invisible and pink and so it becomes. You can see where I'm going here.

Since we haven't observed an entity that we agreed to call the Force, our only way to speak of its properties is in defining it as whatever each of us wants it to be. That's a fun exercise but utterly useless in the end for its only potential is to create disagreements which can not be resolved - while it helps us no bit in learning anything about the Force.
To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit. - Stephen W. Hawking

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 13:08 #118275

• Alan
  • Knight
  • ID: 10670
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.

Some forms of consciousness are highly cognitive while others are less so, and still other forms (meditation, for example) lack that aspect of consciousness that we might call thinking (that is, thinking as an inner dialogue of words and images about some particular idea or object, cognition as problem-solving, and the like). It has been helpful for me to blur the distinctions that traditionally separate feeling and thinking. Think with the body. Eventually, as Alexander suggests, the cognitive activity of thinking about the Force fades as one lives it.
“The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.” William James
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:05 #118280

• Streen
  • ID: 2215
JohnsonMD wrote:
Does the Force have Consciousness?

Well, the way I see it, we have consciousness, and we are one with the Force, so by extension the Force has consciousness.
When you’re deluded, every statement is an ulcer; when you’re enlightened, every word is wisdom.
— Zhiqu

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:48 #118290

Alan wrote:
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.
Bull. If one wishes to learn something about a topic, one better starts studying it and not making things up. Interestingly, if the subject is something real, the observations usually can be confirmed intersubjectively. Now, reality, of course, is in some areas a rather blurry term, but let's not go down that track just yet. Saying that defining a thing helps you understand it, is an admission that the thing in question is not real. Conversely, if it is real, whatever time we spend defining its properties on our own rather than observing them on the object, will be wasted.

Either way, the Force was never too clearly defined here so what the OP ends up with after this thread, is being alone left to make his own opinion on the subject - something he might as well have gotten without this thread altogether.

Also, noone is doing the entirety of the Jedi community any service by defining the Force in his own way. Its not that there haven't been way too well defined gods before and have we not seen enough of where that usually leads? And yet, leaving it undefined leaves the question unanswered... Tough dilemma, isn't it? :D

However, I also realize that this question is more about opinions and less asking for a definite answer, so I should take this a bit easier, I suppose... :blush:
To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit. - Stephen W. Hawking
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Controlling anger (Last post by Jestor)
    • I think you are asking 'where do i start?'... And, that answer is "here, and now"... Recognizing it is coming, the triggers that were mentioned, is important, but self control is not something that comes naturally to many, and why people go out of their way to avoid others... Right now, you can come up with a plan to remain calm for 5 minutes the next time... You might only make it 30 seconds, you might make it 10 minutes... But, any skill is developed, some of us do have 'gifts' at things, but, learning to juggle, or learning to control emotions takes practice.... YOu will drop those pins/lose control again, suck it up, and be ready for the next time you get to 'practice'.... I dont have control over my anger, I have practiced to get where I am, and, with enough effort, anyone can 'flip my switch' and make me lose my anger... If I have not walked away by then... Lost it with a water pipe I was trying to fix the other day... lol... but, only for a moment, and then I was able to defuse it fairly quickly... So, while I practice to not be angry, I am only human, and also practice for my failure at some point.... And then, when that moment is over, I plan for the next time I get to 'practice'... lol....
    • Impartiality (Last post by TheDude)
    • Quote: I don't believe there's such a thing as objective or universal Truth. I also don't believe it's possible to be impartial. There's no such thing. That's why we peer-review things. That's why new research can undo old research as new perspectives and new ways of testing ideas can make old discoveries irrelevant. I'm confused by this. Surely you can't mean that 2+2 isn't always 4. Or that if a then b, if b then c, doesn't necessarily result in if a then c. Universal truth is found in the laws of logic, deduction, and mathematics. That's not to say that those things can't be used for biased means, but the rules themselves surely are indicative of impartial and universal truths. Do you disagree?
    • Aqua`s Art Gallery (Last post by Aqua)
    • White coast of mirror dreams: If I were you, and you were me you would ask, me a question can I write without knowing your purpose bring me your comfort in to myself you would ask, it to yourself hug me wrap my arms around comfort and hope, my tunnels` light I show you, what you know with a new perspective ~ Aqua, 25-07-2016
    • Corruption in the Democratic Party (Last post by Connor L.)
    • My political philosophy is: the only way to change things is from the bottom. We saw what happens when you try to bend the rules and change from the top (i.e. Bernie's rigged campaign). I agree with the majority opinion here. Reflect on the code, work in your community, be the change you want to see.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • With full respect to freedom of expression: This is a Temple, a sacred environment for training and refinement of the person. By all means, say what you need to say. If, however, you feel the need to bang on about your conspiracy theories, oppression-of-the-white-man fantasies, personal suffering olympics, and whatever other nonsense fills your day, and you're not making even a token effort to relate it back to the purpose of this space, to your development as a Jedi, go rant on facebook. The grown-ups have work to do.
    • Jedi do not smoke. (Last post by den385)
    • Hey! That's my stop-smoking thread. I really need to stop this habit because 1) I see how it limits me and that's unacceptable. 2) I see how this substance hijacks my body and it makes me angry at this pitiful depoendency. Starting today, I start my own challenge to stop smoking. I plan to reduce withdrawal via meditation, beads and sweetmeats. If you are a smoker too and you've searched for an opportunity to abandon this habit - let's do it together. In here, I'll post every time I'll be feeling bad because of withdrawal and/or psychological dependency. Today at 23:55 I'll smoke out my final cigarette. I know, it's easy to say and hard to do. But there is nowhere to retreat when it becomes a necessity. I shall do what I must.
    • Evolution of Things, and division (Last post by Tellahane)
    • This concept, thought.....discussion is going to be hard for me to describe so bare with me! So while studying Internet of Things(IoT) which is something completely irrelevant to this topic, I thought of the label Evolution of things. Now when I say evolution, I'm referring to this definition "the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form". Not so much the evolution where things..."improve" just where they become more complicated in general. So in talking about evolution of things I want to have a discussion on just that, how everything tends to evolve in general. Between charles' video, discussions on privlege, discussions on enlightenment, open-mindedness but also mainly on the idea of practices of jediism, teachings of jediism from 15-20 years ago versus today. Surely there are some things that were figured out with jediism 15 years ago that are still being taught and used today, look at the main jedi code for example, some of the tenants and so on. There are also new things that have been put together since those older days which are also being practiced. New idea's continue to appear. As charles had noticed the gatherings used to focus on some more core related Jedi stuff but now branch out quite a bit. Now lets tie in some division. Obviously even here at the temple where everyone's path is truly their own, there are lots of varying views on a lot of different topics, and for the most part encouraged. Other communities not so much. At some point we seem to always fall back on the discussion of where the line should be, or whether a line should exist at all. I think more and more lately it's starting to show that some of the longer-term jedi who have been around for awhile are closer to drawing a line, whether intentionally or not, vs newer jedi. Only in the sense that they have been following a core set of teachings since day 1, and with all these variations and new ideas and thoughts and concepts that have come out lately that unintentionally it kinda puts what you have been spending many years on under the microscope in the sense that maybe some things you have been focused on for many years may be wrong need to be tweaked or who knows what. A feeling that I don't think anyone particular enjoys. I'm also not out to say there are old teachings that shouldn't exist or are wrong either... Everything eventually will evolve into something more complicated period. It's just a matter of fact, you can create a rule of everyone stops at a stop sign. Well then what if theres more then one stop sign...what if there is a train coming, what if theres an emergency vehicle coming, you can still try and keep it simple but new things will come that will eventually evolve it. Or maybe the better word is complicate it. So for the purpose of this thread, and with recent other threads to reference to, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the following questions: 1. How important are any if not all original teachings to Jediism for you? Even if they may or may not continue to be taught today? 2. If a better version of a teaching, or a different train of thought of a teaching comes along, will you be willing to replace the original teaching? Even if there is some debate of whether that train of thought is appropriate to Jedi as a whole?(Try and think of 2 different ways to meditate, one Jedi insists through music, another through physical touch of nature, neither will agree to disagree). 3. If new ways to teach different things causes a division such as in #2 above, is it better to support both sides even if you don't agree, or just focus on the original teaching? 4. How important is the original goal and idea for how Jedi's should be in real life 20 years ago compare to how you see Jedi Should be today? 5. Should the idea's and trainings figured out and put together many years ago be respected and followed regardless or should we constantly look at new idea's and thoughts and meld everything that comes along? 6. At what point does a new teaching seem just far enough away from the original path that it should be rejected vs brought into Jediism in concept. There are many other religions out there that have split off at different times and have different view points of how things should have been or should be, just look at how many different churches follow Christianity, there's 8 different versions in my town alone. That being said: Bonus question #7. Do you feel that the Jedi Community at large, is finally reaching if not already reached in some degree, points where we will divide in different directions regardless of anyone's efforts, simply because of evolution of ideas and concepts and teachings, vs maintaining original core teachings only. (and I want to put emphasis that this is the community as whole including outside of TOTJO). So thats my discussion, again this is a focus on simply the evolution of jediism in itself, not specifically at any one recent topic, just using the recent discussions as a reference.
    • Jedi Knights Meaning (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Quote: Quote: One of the many joys of Jedi ism is its ability to become...anything. Yes, I imagine so, because by that rationale, it doesnt matter if you become anything at all or not. You would still be a Jedi. If Jediism is vastly unexplored, it seems its only because people are filling it up with what they already know, rather than emptying the cup as it were to learn what it is, or can be. Not hard to copy and paste and label the file a different title. I think we live in a cut and paste condition, I know I do at times. It is up to each of us to choose light dark shadow or fake. It's the ability to do... that keeps me coming here. I could be a Jedi by mear title or, live it. Living it, is to me, so much more than just being a title. I get to use it. I get to help others use it
    • Pokemon Go! A generation lost in 1 day.... (Last post by Cayce)
    • Quote: With all the people dying as a result of it, There's only been one confirmed death, which was a few days ago, and the result of a teenager trespassing. I don't believe there is any other confirmed death at this time. Technology has been tied to death for some time, though. Texting while driving, being distracted, apps helping people meet up and then bad things happen, on and on.
    • Stomach fat , core stability , fun excersises (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: I do this workout. (Red Hot Core, DDP Yoga) two times a week, it's an excellent workout for strength building the core. Anyone interested in the variations pm me as it can get really advanced... Nice , i would add a heavier dog for the extra burn haha we do these at the gym and after Aerobics thanks Zenchi :)
    • This Gave Me Hope (Last post by Leah Starspectre)
    • This is just so beautiful....I admit got a little choked up pretty quickly. But as soon as the pipes started, I started bawling. :P

There are 161 visitors, 8 guests and 32 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Guardianofwinds, Firewolf, Jestor, ren, Trisskar, Adhara, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, Khaos, Kit, Edan, Avalonslight, Senan, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Aqua, Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi, Atticus, TheDude, Tellahane, WRRPhoto, Bareus, MadHatter, Cayce, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, Ryder, x57z12, Leah Starspectre, Silas Mercury, Ryuda, Rahatha, Kaccani, LukaManuka, Lancer, novaadwhite, Everett9.

Follow Us