Saber Flourish Gif

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227634 by
Saber Flourish Gif was created by
I've been working on this for a while and I finally got it done. This was just for fun after I got my lightsaber :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227667 by
Replied by on topic Saber Flourish Gif
Have you had martial arts training? It looks lo bo moves? Pretty in the dark...not that I like light sabers though. ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227812 by
I have some martial arts training, but nothing to do with a sword or bo. A long time ago I started teaching myself to twirl a dowel rod. Over the last few years, I basically went through the following progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNP8Eknbyss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpb_epr93I

ME:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoc5URoln0

I just figured out how to do the last one last year (so not that great), but not bad for teaching myself, eh? ;)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227855 by
Spinning through you fingers looks good and is quite flashy with the light saber but it's not good control of your weapon but you're not really going to use it as a practical weapon, are you? Still looks though. Good exercise too. :)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228156 by
I agree. Really, none of the flourishes are useful, but they are fun (and like you said, decent exercise for your hands and arms).

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #228164 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Saber Flourish Gif
I've had no weapons training, but, I've often though that "flourishes" (is that a word?) Help to reset the weapon to a "ready position...

Like, yes, you could put the gun in your holster, or you could give it a twirl and let the barrel catch on the leather, and let it seat itself....

Same with swords, while the first GIF showed you swinging it on both sides of your body, when its across your body in the downward swing, with force behind it, it could parry an overhead swing from an opponent, right?

Just like boxing, being in motion allows for different responses...

A "sword down left side blocks opponents left downstrike, and down right-side-body blocks right down strike"

Conversely, when sword is raised in upward coming down position, it sets up for blocks for "upper cut" style attacks....

Always been my thinking, lol...

Still, neat to watch Streen, thanks!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Jestor.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #228284 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Saber Flourish Gif
they can also be used to release excess momentum should a strike miss....ie. you strike from left shoulder towards right hip, the blade gets blocked of deflected you can use the flourish to bring the blade to bear again...taking the momentum of the blade and redirecting it....

when i do flourishes i tend to use a heavy blade for the wrist strengthening...but when i spar i tend to keep the flourishes to a minimum....usually only using them in the above manner...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #228310 by

Jestor wrote: I've had no weapons training, but, I've often though that "flourishes" (is that a word?) Help to reset the weapon to a "ready position...

Same with swords, while the first GIF showed you swinging it on both sides of your body, when its across your body in the downward swing, with force behind it, it could parry an overhead swing from an opponent, right?

They can also be used to release excess momentum should a strike miss

Those are good points actually. I hadn't thought of it that way. Not that Star Wars has the most realistic sword fighting, but I've noticed that Anakin uses that flourish fairly often, noticeably against Count Dooku in their second encounter. Then of course there's a part of the fight between Anakin and Obi-wan where they are standing on the table, both twirling their blade the same way at the same time (some people call that flourish the Obi-Ani). :side:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 2 months ago #228350 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Saber Flourish Gif
I am/was a martial artist and teacher, and have a pretty good base knowledge... :D

When blocking a strike, you hand does not strike and retract, but rather continues the forward momentum, in a circular motion so the hand is ready for the next strike...:)

I'm just talking...:)

As I said, looked good!

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229586 by

Jestor wrote: I've had no weapons training, but, I've often though that "flourishes" (is that a word?) Help to reset the weapon to a "ready position...

I think of flourishes as exaggerated circular movements? Circular movements are efficient, flourishes consuming more time and allow an opponent to predict your moves and find openings.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi