IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

More
08 Aug 2019 12:37 #341022 by Proteus
The material in steam's last post is a pretty typical example of the strawman sprees that people go on who filter their interpretations of JP's words strictly through their own biases and agendas. It's another form of the "so what you're saying is" issue. Of course, this isn't something that happens just to Jordan Peterson. The people we already have in the IP have faced this same thing around people who did the same thing, some probably on the same topics using similar insinuations.

It seems that I know that I know.
What I would like to see is the 'I' that knows me when I know that I know that I know.
- Alan Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 12:46 #341025 by Uzima Moto
I'm listening to this one right now..


Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 13:11 #341027 by Uzima Moto
I'm starting to see what it is.. I think.. Mr. Peterson seems to just deal in reality. He addresses people as individuals instead of how they group themselves. I haven't heard anything anti human from him yet. I've never heard anything anti female from him. Maybe anti-feminist, but that's not necessarily against women.. he's talked about both sides of the political isle so he's not bias in that respect as far as I've heard. He seems to be a pretty straight down the middle guy. Which is rare in this Piscean Age where everybody wants you to pick a side.. "Either you're with us, or you're with the Terrorists."

We have a good portion of humanity that deals in self imposed psychological fantasies to try to make sense of their own existence. Looking for a meaning amongst the experience.. and it looks as if we've lost a compass here in the west for sure. A lot of folks have just tied themselves to one identity or another. Ideas of self that originate from outside of self. Usually skewed or at least partial truths of reality.. but when you take all into account it always boils down to the individual..

I don't identify as an African American. I am a native texan of african ancestry, though. That is the fact. It holds no inherent attitudes or habits. It's just the fact of my birth.. with all these labels people wear. I don't see how folks have the space to just be themselves..

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 13:48 #341028 by steamboat28

Proteus wrote: The material in steam's last post is a pretty typical example of the strawman sprees that people go on who filter their interpretations of JP's words strictly through their own biases and agendas. It's another form of the "so what you're saying is" issue. Of course, this isn't something that happens just to Jordan Peterson. The people we already have in the IP have faced this same thing around people who did the same thing, some probably on the same topics using similar insinuations.


If Jordan Peterson literally saying terrible things isn't enough to convince you that Jordan Peterson says terrible things, this community is more screwed than I thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 14:17 #341030 by Uzima Moto

steamboat28 wrote:

Proteus wrote: The material in steam's last post is a pretty typical example of the strawman sprees that people go on who filter their interpretations of JP's words strictly through their own biases and agendas. It's another form of the "so what you're saying is" issue. Of course, this isn't something that happens just to Jordan Peterson. The people we already have in the IP have faced this same thing around people who did the same thing, some probably on the same topics using similar insinuations.


If Jordan Peterson literally saying terrible things isn't enough to convince you that Jordan Peterson says terrible things, this community is more screwed than I thought.


What, that people who participate in enforcing identity politics by govermnent decree are just in it for the power? Show me otherwise.. because it's implied in their pursuit..

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 14:22 - 08 Aug 2019 17:47 #341032 by Carlos.Martinez3
Truthfully - I like the guy. I have taken a few of his courses on different platforms and on different subjects and in the BEFORE time before his occupancy of time he would answer every students discussion questions. I think I posted 3. Any how , it is hard to take a stand anywhere. In anyone’s life. Mr Peterson is no exception. He’s got ALOT on his plate almost always now a days. As far as IP material - some days I wish we could lose the names and credits and just present the character of things. That may NEVER happen but it’s a nice gesture. He’s got some great points but they are also from HIS experience as a book writer and traveler and sciccologist and interviewer and interview-e-. The moment you or I or any one begins to hone our own practices - we can gain a lot but rarely the same results. Some of the stuff Mr. Peterson says isn’t helpful to me at all. Some of it is irrelevant. That’s life, also that’s the joy of being on of 7 billion- your not gunna mesh with everyone.

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 08 Aug 2019 17:47 by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uzima Moto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 14:31 #341034 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

steamboat28 wrote: If Jordan Peterson literally saying terrible things isn't enough to convince you that Jordan Peterson says terrible things, this community is more screwed than I thought.


But you haven't shown such a thing. You've cited a couple of quotes without context that could potentially be misinterpreted, and you have posted a lot of information by critics of Peterson writing in response to what they think he meant.

I have not read all his work, so I am open to being offered more evidence. But I haven't seen anything "terrible" yet.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Step aggressively toward your fear. - Jocko Willink

TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 14:49 #341035 by FTPC
Replied by FTPC on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
I have a question
what part of the IP will the effect or should I say what Rank of the IP will Jordan Peterson's idea effect


Novice
Initiate
Apprentice
Knight
Senior Knight
Master


and when will it take effect like what date month and year?
if get the Yes vote

Joined 14 January 2015 16:03 guest - Friday 24, 2015, member Saturday 1/27/2015.Novice -

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 15:33 #341038 by Kelrax Lorcken

Manu wrote:

steamboat28 wrote: If Jordan Peterson literally saying terrible things isn't enough to convince you that Jordan Peterson says terrible things, this community is more screwed than I thought.


But you haven't shown such a thing. You've cited a couple of quotes without context that could potentially be misinterpreted, and you have posted a lot of information by critics of Peterson writing in response to what they think he meant.

I have not read all his work, so I am open to being offered more evidence. But I haven't seen anything "terrible" yet.


rejecting an argument doesn't disprove the argument. Steam's argument's extrapolate from what is there, he is drawing out interpretations from what is there, he's not making things up.

If you want to prove him wrong, than prove him wrong. But Peterson says things that, arguably, aren't hard to interpret the way his detractors do, and that he speaks so consistently to this way that raises red flags warrants examination, at the very least.

And the best you're offering for a counter-argument is "Nuh-uh"?

I'm with James at this point, I had my intitial "cuz he's a douchebag" rejection, but if his defenders can't actually defend him and his work? If it isn't really of arguable merit... Why should we include it here? Let individuals do what their going to do, we already have good material to work with, here.

Kelrax "Stormcaller" Lorcken, Jedi Navigator
May The Force Guide You
www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/47-Jo...-stormcaller?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2019 15:36 #341039 by Kelrax Lorcken

FTPC wrote: I have a question
what part of the IP will the effect or should I say what Rank of the IP will Jordan Peterson's idea effect


Novice
Initiate
Apprentice
Knight
Senior Knight
Master


and when will it take effect like what date month and year?
if get the Yes vote


This is just a discussion on the idea of including it, it's not a vote to do so, BUT, as the IP is the "Initiates Program", it would effect Novices working their way up to Initiate status.

Kelrax "Stormcaller" Lorcken, Jedi Navigator
May The Force Guide You
www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/47-Jo...-stormcaller?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.