IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

More
19 Aug 2019 18:07 #341466 by ZealotX

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Just a note - any of his subjects we might think about. Not saying yes or no but since we are in the JP in the IP - rather than if the person is worthy - which subject of his would you or any one say would be worthy of an IP idea. This isn’t to say again a yes or no to things just discussion. Rather than say the dudes a dud or stud - how about what’s taught ? What is it about him that makes his ideas so ... well worth 14 pages.

when I hear an original idea I'll weigh in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2019 19:11 #341472 by VixensVengeance aka Kyrin Wyldstar

ZealotX wrote:
when I hear an original idea I'll weigh in.

I posted my idea on his view of myth and spirituality about 10 pages back or so.:P

Solve' et coagula
Non serviam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

More
19 Aug 2019 22:59 #341485 by ZealotX
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kobos

More
19 Aug 2019 23:20 #341487 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

ZealotX wrote:

That was hilarious! thank you for that :laugh:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Step aggressively toward your fear. - Jocko Willink

TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
20 Aug 2019 08:53 #341497 by Brick

ZealotX wrote:

This is quite a poor critique of an interview IMO. This guy frequently calls back to comments JP has made in other interviews without providing any sort of actual context to those comments.

JP also never says that 'you tilt society so that it benefits those who have less', he stopped mid sentence and the critic makes the assumption that JP was going to say that in order to reinforce his own argument.

For clarity, I'm not necessarily defending JP's views here (JP has said A LOT of stuff I disagree with) and the actual Joe Rogan Interview is a good interview, but this critique video is nothing but an ill informed hatchet job IMO.

My main issue with this video is that I think this guy completely misrepresents what JP defines as 'equality of outcome'. It has nothing to with the right to healthcare or access to food etc.

Have you seen the infamous Cathy Newman interview? It may have already been posted here, but I'll link below anyway. The whole interview is pretty interesting (bit of a car crash for her though), but its just after the 13 minute mark where he starts talking about 'equality of outcome' vs 'equality of opportunity'.

Welcome Team, IP Team, and Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
20 Aug 2019 15:29 #341505 by Manu

Brick wrote: This is quite a poor critique of an interview IMO. This guy frequently calls back to comments JP has made in other interviews without providing any sort of actual context to those comments.

That's why I found it so funny. This is not done just to Jordan Peterson, but it is a bigger phenomenon where people produce "good entertainment" by picking at tidbits and soundbites and usually exagerate or completely misrepresent the person being "critiqued". It does make for good entertainment... but it is usually a complete mischaracterization of the original author/speaker.

I find it a bit amusing that so far anyone in this thread that has offered material critical of Jordan Peterson, has always done so via a third party: someone's news article about JP, someone's video about JP, someone's podcast about JP (the on JK Barger posted "Behind the Bastards" was also great fun, and also completely misrepresented JP). No one has offered an actual Jordan Peterson interview where it is self-evident that he is a bigot, a misogynist, a transphobe, or any of the other labels that has been thrown at him here.

You know what they call a third party opinion of an event? Hearsay. It certainly diminishes value because it cannot be reliable enough to represent the "real thing".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

More
20 Aug 2019 18:26 #341507 by ZealotX

Brick wrote:

ZealotX wrote:

This is quite a poor critique of an interview IMO. This guy frequently calls back to comments JP has made in other interviews without providing any sort of actual context to those comments.

JP also never says that 'you tilt society so that it benefits those who have less', he stopped mid sentence and the critic makes the assumption that JP was going to say that in order to reinforce his own argument.

For clarity, I'm not necessarily defending JP's views here (JP has said A LOT of stuff I disagree with) and the actual Joe Rogan Interview is a good interview, but this critique video is nothing but an ill informed hatchet job IMO.

My main issue with this video is that I think this guy completely misrepresents what JP defines as 'equality of outcome'. It has nothing to with the right to healthcare or access to food etc.

Have you seen the infamous Cathy Newman interview? It may have already been posted here, but I'll link below anyway. The whole interview is pretty interesting (bit of a car crash for her though), but its just after the 13 minute mark where he starts talking about 'equality of outcome' vs 'equality of opportunity'.

I agree with you. I kind of raised an eyebrow when I heard it because I thought it was a stretch. But I thought Joe did catch him when he was talking about "involuntary celebates" and how maybe something could be done but then it was like he was arguing against his own position on not pushing for equal outcomes.

More
20 Aug 2019 23:00 - 20 Aug 2019 23:09 #341519 by Kobos

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Just a note - any of his subjects we might think about. Not saying yes or no but since we are in the JP in the IP - rather than if the person is worthy - which subject of his would you or any one say would be worthy of an IP idea. This isn’t to say again a yes or no to things just discussion. Rather than say the dudes a dud or stud - how about what’s taught ? What is it about him that makes his ideas so ... well worth 14 pages.

Zealot Brick (good to see you buddy!) and Manu, thank you for the points you are discussing it helped give me an response to Carlos. "Equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome." That's an idea worthy of consideration, does the source of it matter? There are plenty of others espousing this idea, they just don't get the same type of exposure. Why is that?

The crux though comes to, how do we fix the current problems effecting the equality of opportunity (to what ever degree we can agree as a society it is) and by doing that do we improve chances of positive outcomes? Do not just apply to the big things, look at the small things in society individually and just maybe we will be on to something here.

Just a shot at a response Carlos.

Much Love Respect and Peace,
Kobos

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

TM:JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 23:09 by Kobos. Reason: typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Brick, Rex

More
21 Aug 2019 00:51 - 21 Aug 2019 00:55 #341521 by Carlos.Martinez3
Equality of opportunity vs equality of outcome... hmm I would defiantly have to catch up on that idea. You young pups teach an old dog new tricks daily here lol! Respectfully Joking
It such a vs... just political or are there actual ideas applicable. ? Um not sure IP is a place for political sides as far as things like that right ? Truthfully we got J.C. For the myth and watts for breaking from the present thought- krishnamurti and watts for meditation basics. mind walk for connection possibilities and avalibilities .. a brief glance and over view on the general religions then a few Jedi subjects . What would JP bring ?!a good video to watch ? A good idea ? I’m not dissing or arguing but truly open minded - so far he is said to be a putz but I have my own idea of him too... what do U think Tim?

Edit : worth adding to the IP?

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 21 Aug 2019 00:55 by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
21 Aug 2019 01:01 #341523 by Manu

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: What would JP bring ?!

A guard against collectivist thinking. Collectivism has already been quite identified in nationalist and fundamentalists ideologies, but is more subtle and insidious in leftism. The initial and very real concern for helping those who are minorities or somehow at risk, powers social activism, and that is a good thing. Collectivism, however, twists activism into tribalism.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick