IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

More
17 Aug 2019 01:19 #341349 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

J. K. Barger wrote:
If you don’t use Apple or iTunes, the podcast is called “Behind the Bastards.”

Cheers..

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/behind-the...2661?i=1000444020810

I would be absolutely thrilled to know what sources they were drawing upon when discussing the whole “prophetic dreams” and banning English literature. From the videos I have watched, it seems very out of character for him, so if you have a source that would be great.

As for the eating only meat, I knew that one, it’s a health issue thing and I believe his daughter is doing the same all-meat diet as well for the same reason.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Step aggressively toward your fear. - Jocko Willink

TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2019 01:24 #341350 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

Rex wrote: Is there, by chance, a highlights reel (or equivalent content in a more succinct package) for those of us who don't want to listen to 3 hours of it?

Ha! I do understand the need for brevity, time is such a luxury nowadays :cheer:

I think the “highlights reel” way of showing things is a potential source of problems, not only with Jordan Peterson, but with any person in general. Watching the whole thing will allow you to make a much more complete assessment of what he’s saying. Sound bites and tidbits can easily aid misunderstanding by neglecting to communicate context.

Plus, I love Joe Rogan, so it was an easy watch for me. :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Step aggressively toward your fear. - Jocko Willink

TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Brick

More
17 Aug 2019 03:58 #341358 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

VixensVengeance wrote: The failings of this latest generation, the need for instant gratification.

Woe is me for prioritizing something higher than Joe Rogan.

I do understand I can't get the whole depth and nuance of someone from sound bytes, but not everything that happens in that podcast is worth listening to, much less relevant to this conversation

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

More
17 Aug 2019 18:17 #341383 by VixensVengeance aka Kyrin Wyldstar
You just contradicted yourself rex. Is it worth listening to all of it or not?

Solve' et coagula
Non serviam

More
17 Aug 2019 21:06 - 17 Aug 2019 21:21 #341398 by Uzima Moto
If you view Jordan Peterson as a bigot. You probably don't understand his point of view, or the word bigot..

Bigotry is exclusion and combativeness against those with differing opinions.. not just a conservative type that doesn't like anything different than what they think is "right"..

He combats what he sees as uninformed thinking. If people's feelings are offended by correction, that's not reasonable thinking. A wise man invites constructive correction. I have yet to hear him assault anyone or disrespect anybody with a different opinion. Though, he will tell someone directly when they're wrong. His bluntness may be the actual offensive part of his speech..

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2019 21:21 by Uzima Moto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
18 Aug 2019 06:52 - 18 Aug 2019 06:56 #341406 by steamboat28

Uzima Moto wrote: If you view Jordan Peterson as a bigot. You probably don't understand his point of view, or the word bigot..

Definition of bigot
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Nope. Pretty sure I understand the word.

"Uzima wrote: He combats what he sees as uninformed thinking.

If he sees something as uninformed, then that's his opinion, not a fact. And this nonsense about "If people's feelings are offended by correction, that's not reasonable thinking," sets up an implication in which everyone who disagrees with him is inherently wrong, which is not only a logical fallacy but it's dangerous and cultish.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 06:56 by steamboat28.

More
18 Aug 2019 14:40 #341410 by Uzima Moto

steamboat28 wrote:

Uzima Moto wrote: If you view Jordan Peterson as a bigot. You probably don't understand his point of view, or the word bigot..

Definition of bigot
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Nope. Pretty sure I understand the word.

Pulling a definition from Google, or wherever, doesn't mean you actually understand it to use it. Because I haven't seen him treat anyone with hate or contempt based on their group identity. If saying you got your facts wrong is hate then I'd hate to see what confused state this world is going to when everyone has "their own" truth.. who's truth would line up with reality??

"Uzima wrote: He combats what he sees as uninformed thinking.

If he sees something as uninformed, then that's his opinion, not a fact. And this nonsense about "If people's feelings are offended by correction, that's not reasonable thinking," sets up an implication in which everyone who disagrees with him is inherently wrong, which is not only a logical fallacy but it's dangerous and cultish.

No, it doesn't, it implies that if your "facts" are inaccurate, they're inaccurate. If you get offended by someone saying your facts are wrong then you're not really seeking truth. Any truth seeker would want to know if his facts are inaccurate or not..

Pointing out uninformed thinking isn't opinion based. It's facts based. It's almost how ppl say there's no historical evidence for Jesus Christ. That's their truth.. but it's wrong.. People say that the Gender Wage Gap exists because of discrimination.. but that too isn't factual.. opinions based on misinformation are subject to correction.. and if your feelings get hurt because you've been corrected then that's a personal flaw you should look at. Because personally, I wouldn't deny or withhold facts because they might ruin somebody's fantasy world..

The West is HIGHLY propagandized.. but that's the only way to steer democratic societies. Manipulation of public opinion, "Pop culture"..

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phoenix Vidensia

More
18 Aug 2019 14:49 #341411 by Phoenix Vidensia

Uzima Moto wrote: The West is HIGHLY propagandized.. but that's the only way to steer democratic societies. Manipulation of public opinion, "Pop culture"..

... and now you know why I detest democracy. :) It results in... this.

... Meh ...

More
18 Aug 2019 15:01 #341412 by Carlos.Martinez3
Not arguing at all but this got me thinking and I’m sorry for the derailment but .... because of what others do with it Phoenix your not a fan? ? Just wondering.

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
18 Aug 2019 15:24 #341413 by Phoenix Vidensia

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: Not arguing at all but this got me thinking and I’m sorry for the derailment but .... because of what others do with it Phoenix your not a fan? ? Just wondering.

No, I literally detest it and it breeds weakness on all fronts.

... Meh ...