IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

More
14 Aug 2019 05:20 #341212 by lightscribe

Rex wrote: We explicitly support the whole quiltbag bevy in our doctrine, and pragmatically don't have any senior members who could be considered homophobic.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "quiltbag bevy". Can you define it?

Today, I will do my best. My best is all that I can do. And sometimes, my best will surprise me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2019 07:52 #341214 by Brick

steamboat28 wrote: There's a marked difference between disagreeing with a philosopher on random points and actively supporting a bigot.

That's a perfectly valid argument Steam. I can certainly understand why someone may disagree with Jordan Peterson on the vast majority of his rhetoric. Though I'd query the use of the word 'bigot'?

A bigot is someone who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions. Whilst Jordan Peterson is very vocal in his opposition to people he disagrees with, I think it tends to be against people who believes are misrepresenting/ignoring facts rather than just a difference of opinion. Much like my attitude towards flat earthers - ie the world is scientifically proven to be round, so having an 'opinion' on the shape of earth is somewhat nonsensical.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

IP Journal / AP Journal / Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
14 Aug 2019 14:28 #341223 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
Here is another video I enjoyed, that should clarify some of JP’s positions:

Fear is normal. Every person feels fear at some point. Step aggressively toward your fear - that is the step into bravery. - Jocko Willink
TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3

More
14 Aug 2019 19:58 - 14 Aug 2019 20:04 #341239 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
Quiltbag is just a anagram for lgbtqiau+ that rolls off the tongue more easily
Afaik, it's accepted by that community, I'd imagine steam has heard the term

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
Last edit: 14 Aug 2019 20:04 by Rex. Reason: Fact check me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kobos, lightscribe

More
14 Aug 2019 20:09 #341240 by lightscribe
Thanks Rex! Strangely, even though I'm part of that community, I've never heard that term. It's pretty cool!

Today, I will do my best. My best is all that I can do. And sometimes, my best will surprise me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
14 Aug 2019 23:29 #341250 by ren
Replied by ren on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

Phoenix Vidensia wrote:

ren wrote: Reacting to those biggot-calling fuss-kickers prevents you from exploring ideas, from learning new things, from achieving open-mindedness.

When someone tells you they will leave if you dare discuss ideas, you should seize this amazing opportunity to practice what jedi believe, instead of letting them use cheap tabloid tactics to push you off a perfectly straight track.

Interesting... and just what is it Jedi believe in this case?

'In the ethic of reciprocity, and how moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion and over time.'
'In the importance of freedom of conscience and self-determination'.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Kobos, Brick, Phoenix Vidensia

More
15 Aug 2019 23:07 - 15 Aug 2019 23:10 #341280 by Kobos
I stayed out of this until now because I didn't know which way I leaned, I had to deeply think on this. I personally don't like Jordan Peterson but that's just me. I feel though it was a time to weigh in after thinking about what I wrote below:

Ren, though I don't agree with the way you said it because it isn't as simple as, "biggot-calling fuss-kickers". There is the other side of that coin that ignore true bigotry out of a similar form of ideological blindness. In most cases neither group does this intentionally it is literally just part of having a human mind. All of us do this to some extent most time swinging back and forth between saying something too often and staying silent at the wrong times, occasionally lining up at the right times.

This said I can see the ideas that are useful in Jordan Peterson's written and spoken words. One of the things I can see irritating to people is that Jordan Peterson seems to speak more often of personal responsibility in moral contexts, however, when anyone discusses moral contexts their personal moral ideas will become part of that conversation. We as anyone who speaks do not get to choose what others hear in our words.

I think this notes the importance of seperating different moral ideas from one another when looking at written and spoken words. For example many find JFK as a prolific guy with good ideas that pushed the United States in good directions. But, looking at him through a traditional and even modern moral lenses, he is absolutely abhorrent. A very powerful man who constantly cheated on his wife with younger women, #metoo x1000. Does his personal moral actions mean we should throw the "Not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" speech out? To me this is a resounding no.

I don't support Joradan Peterson's social morality beyond a push for personal responsibility. I can however, see the idea's that he pushes of use and those which are of less importance but cause social unrest. I do tend to think he speaks well out of his area of expertise on many occasions. Sometimes at the behest of his questioners, others on speaking of his morality and his exact point of view as a widely accepted norm. I personally do not know what to say about JP in the IP, I'll leave that to others.

I just really want to bring attention to exactly what you said above and add in that we as human, let alone Jedi should be able to see past the idea of a moral singularity. Meaning there is a spectrum of individual ideas one will believe through their life, sure this could add up to a checklist of morality we can all grade others on I suppose (and we all do, while you are reading this you are doing it right now as I was while writing it). But, if it is reason to drop the good ideas one has is a poor precedence to set as Jedi and again as Humans in general.

Just 2 cents
Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

I met a strange lady, she made me nervous, she took me in and gave me breakfast. - Men at Work

TM:JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Last edit: 15 Aug 2019 23:10 by Kobos. Reason: Finger cast typos.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, J. K. Barger, Carlos.Martinez3, Brick, Rex, ZealotX

More
16 Aug 2019 18:50 #341322 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
Here is another interviews in which the issue of misrepresenting JP is touched upon. The video is quite long:

Fear is normal. Every person feels fear at some point. Step aggressively toward your fear - that is the step into bravery. - Jocko Willink
TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
16 Aug 2019 22:23 #341343 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
Is there, by chance, a highlights reel (or equivalent content in a more succinct package) for those of us who don't want to listen to 3 hours of it?

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
16 Aug 2019 22:54 #341344 by VixensVengeance
The failings of this latest generation, the need for instant gratification.

Solve' et coagula
Non serviam
Council Member - Rule of Three: Order of the Sith
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC, Kobos