IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson

More
05 Aug 2019 22:21 #340946 by Manu
I would suggest including a few Jordan Peterson interviews to drive home concepts of:

- Self-responsibility
- Dealing with offence
- Choosing words carefully
- Not overeacting

And also to prevent engaging in large scale world idealism as an escape from one's own life.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Step aggressively toward your fear. - Jocko Willink

TM: Bruno Moreira (Kyber) | Public Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Leah Starspectre, Uzima Moto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2019 22:31 #340947 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
I have a couple bones to pick with JP, but I do dig his basic self-help virtue ethics if they can be divorced from the larger framework of his philosophy.

Self responsibility, dealing with offense, choosing words carefully, and not overreacting are definitely lessons everyone (including myself) can always learn from.

Do you have any particular videos (or written works/selections) you'd like to link in?

IP Team Lead
TM: Carlos Martinez
ὁ δὲ ἀμυχηδόν νεξέταστος βίος γίγνομαι βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Brick

More
05 Aug 2019 22:43 #340948 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic IP suggestion: Jordan Peterson
I'll look them up and post them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
06 Aug 2019 14:03 #340962 by Brick
I think this would be a great addition to the IP

Welcome Team, IP Team, and Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
07 Aug 2019 00:35 #340974 by Manu
This one on sacrifice is good:

More
07 Aug 2019 11:36 #340979 by Bru-He WiEph
I only heard this Peterson guy mentioned once before, and that was this morning. Now I'm looking him up, and reading what he has to say. While some of what he says is just plain common sense, I can't sit here reading the drivel he spews about women.

Why would we want to include the teachings of someone who is so anti-feminist? Are you trying to drive women away? Jediism is about equality among humans, last time I checked.

Speaking as a woman and a feminist, if this guy's teachings became part of the IP, I would ditch it. If individuals want to follow him, that's their choice. But such an extreme view doesn't belong in the IP.

Bru-He WiEph
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Carlos.Martinez3, Kelrax Lorcken

More
07 Aug 2019 13:45 #340980 by Manu

Bru-He WiEph wrote: I can't sit here reading the drivel he spews about women.

Why would we want to include the teachings of someone who is so anti-feminist? Are you trying to drive women away? Jediism is about equality among humans, last time I checked.

Speaking as a woman and a feminist, if this guy's teachings became part of the IP, I would ditch it. If individuals want to follow him, that's their choice. But such an extreme view doesn't belong in the IP.

I agree that Jediism is about equality of the individual regardless of their gender. Could you quote any of the things he’s said that you regard as being anti-feminist?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Uzima Moto

More
07 Aug 2019 15:00 #340981 by steamboat28

Manu wrote: I agree that Jediism is about equality of the individual regardless of their gender. Could you quote any of the things he’s said that you regard as being anti-feminist?

...is this supposed to be a serious question?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Williamkaede, Cabur Senaar

More
07 Aug 2019 16:47 #340982 by Williamkaede
Peterson's body of work is generic, rehashed self-help garbage, flavoured to appeal to young men, with a tacked-on political angle that leads to tribalistic nonsense. He's disrespectful to the existence of social phenomena that we as Jedi need to be aware of, that villify the people that we as Jedi should be here to help. He deals in half-truths, conspiracies and outright lies, and I shudder to consider what he'd be like in a session with a client. A less than ideal individual to be put in the TOTJO Library.

It's a bad fit for the Jedi in general, but honestly not surprising to see it being discussed here. I think this would be a mistake and a waste of time.

Passion, authenticity, power, victory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kelrax Lorcken

More
07 Aug 2019 17:15 #340984 by Manu

steamboat28 wrote:

Manu wrote: I agree that Jediism is about equality of the individual regardless of their gender. Could you quote any of the things he’s said that you regard as being anti-feminist?

...is this supposed to be a serious question?

It is.