Hello, I'm Chance Argo, and I am a sugar addict.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9001 by
First of all, I just want to say sorry for being away so long; that always seems to happen when one of our shows goes on. And then having to prep for Halloween )costumes, food, candy, etc.)...Ya get the idea.
Speaking of Halloween...Sadly, the title line was not meant to be humorous.
Food addiction is just as big a problem as any other substance abuse problem. Your life is controlled by a chemical substance (in my case, sugar).
I was hoping that an increase in activity (some Tai-Chi, simple sword-training) would help. And it did, for a while. When I was actually doing it on a regular basis. But with three kids (four, counting my nephew, whom we baby-sit daily), one of whom is actively SELLING CHOCOLATE BARS for her school, it's hard to stay on track. Just finding time for myself to exercise and/or meditate regularly is difficult.
And the condition is serious. I'm overweight; have been for most of my life. And I can't stop eating. And it will kill me if I don't do something now.
My wife had done the low-carb diet before, and had stayed on it for a year-and-a-half, and she says she never felt better.
So yesterday, we decided to start that. Cutting sugar out cold turkey.
I'm expecting the wihdrawal to hit sometime this weekend. This is also the weekind when we're going to our first SCA event in about a year. With a five-remove feast. Sigh.
But I hope, once I get to the other side of the detox, that it will help me to be a better Jedi, a better swordsman, a better parent...a better, healthier person.
I'll keep y'all posted on how it's going.

-Chance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 4 months ago #9002 by Jon
MTFBWY on your fight Chance!

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 4 months ago #9003 by Neaj Pa Bol
Knowing your addicition to food is the first step... I will pray through the force for you to find strength....

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9004 by
Chance, all the best of luck, my friend. Addictions, no matter what they are to, are a difficult thing to deal with. You have all of our support here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9007 by
RIGHT there with you, bro!

Nice to see you! ;-)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9016 by
I wish you the best of luck on this very difficult path. MTFBWY.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9037 by
Well, I'm back from my first SCA event in a year, was actually able to eat a lot of the feast on Saturday, and just had a really great time. No headaches, no shakes, just a little sleepy (not much sleep at an SCA event!).
Back in June, I weighed 300 pounds (I'm 6'2\"); After a month of Yoga, Tai Chi and swordwork, I got down to 280. I was afraid since my lapse back in September, I'd got it all back since then.
I just weighed myself today...scale read 270.
I'm now back at the weight I was in High School.
Happy-making.
-Chance

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 4 months ago #9041 by Jon
Well done Chance! Keep it up.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9050 by
Outstanding, your hard work is paying off. Keep up the good work.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 4 months ago #9053 by
brother sorry for the latness in this. i am sorry to hear of you're problem but very happy to hear about you're resolution. the fact that you are dealing with this makes you a better man than i. good luck in this and MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi