Sleep Habits

Moderators: Desolous, tzb
  • Page:

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 15:02 #55159

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
This morning, while searching for things to do in the morning when everyone else is still asleep, I ran across this article I thought I would share: 17 Ways to Wake Up Feeling Fresh in the Morning.

Yes, it has a long name, but it made me realize (even more) the importance of having a regular schedule and healthy habits.

I would love to hear your thoughts about any/all of these and any other suggestions that have worked for you to have a restful sleep and wake up feeling good. :)

May the Force be with you all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Aceboizor, Darren, Desolous, Harvestpaw, Falo

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 22:50 #55253

I've had sleep issues for many years now. I'm a light sleeper and I frequently awaken during the night. On top of that I am also a heavy snorer (my fiancee loves this) and suffer from sleep apnea. The fact that I have to get up at 5 am doesn't help either. So I'm usually always tired to some extent.

Nobody should underestimate what a good night's rest could do for you. It's not only beneficial physically but emotionally and mentally as well.

Thanks for posting this. I hope some of these can prove helpful to me.
Love Is My Religion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:11 #55944

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
That's a good article and there are a few pointers I definitely need to be better at:

1) Get up straight away (no snoozing)

2) Go to bed and get up at the same times each day (something I'm failing at as I type this, haha)

----

On the other hand, I am definitely a night exerciser; if I exercise in the morning, it seriously tires me out the rest of the day. I exercise at night and am usually exhausted and fall right to sleep.

Anyway, thanks for posting the article!

I think I'm going to bed now, haha.

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:35 #55945

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
The other person in the bed can be a distraction if they toss and turn. We tried getting rid of the big mattress but kept its base and got 2 single mattresses onto the larger base... and it was enough difference to not notice the other person rolling around. Pillow top mattresses seem to make the edge borders, which would otherwise stuck up in the middle, almost unnoticeable - so its just as big, but better buffered being technically separate. Works good!

PS: King base + 2 Long-size Single mattresses fit perfectly, so 2 long singles beds next to each other must be the same as a King size bed but probably cheaper!!

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 15:13 #55987

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
What about sleep number beds? That's what I have. It's a king and it's on the ground on the bases.. There are two bases..?

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 20:47 #56016

That's a really good idea Adder. I'm a fitful sleeper, constantly kicking and tossing and turning. I think my fiancée would like the idea of two separate mattresses on one frame.
Love Is My Religion

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 21:50 #56021

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Yes your right Reliah, the King is on two seperate frames, but we have the little hook thing connecting them so a it tends to behave like a single unit. Its also really easy to move the bed if you move houses!!!! Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't seen sleep numbers, looks interesting thanks.

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 02:14 #58342

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I've always had trouble sleeping, there are times where I lay in bed and can't feel tired or even drift into sleep at all, or constantly awaken. Then there are days in which I sleep perfectly, wish I could pinpoint whats going on. But I might have to look into changing up my sleep habits even if it might be a tad difficult :P
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 05:24 #58351

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
There's an app I got on my HTC called SleepBot and basically it tracks how long you sleep for each night and then shows how much debt you have. So if you need to sleep more or less. Its been really useful recently

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 07:01 #58353

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I like it >:3
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”
  • Page:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Telekinesis? (Last post by Rickie)
    • Quote: I have believed in telekinesis all of my life. I try to practice it when I can, but havent had much luck lately due to my lack of energy. What are your thoughts on it? (Please be respectful of other's beliefs in this) I believe our minds are a power force capable of spanning: time, distance and space. You're clarity of thought, focus, intent and emotions fuels your ability to have influence in/on the world...but not in the sense of telekinesis. If telekinesis was possible it would be obvious outside of the movies.
    • Apology (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I was going to PM Ob1Shinobi, but I'll post it here. (I have not quite justified in my head why yet) - I like most of what you have said here. Some was snarky, and short, and a little heartless, and I believe that was the lesson you intended to give. Life is a nasty place, and you can't expect it to be nice to you and respect your self imposed boundaries or definitions just "because" You can't create rules for the universe to jump through to please you (well, you can, with enough money. I believe the late Prince paid his "people" to go into a room before he did and make sure there was no one there he would find displeasing, and to ensure they all said things he'd like) But, none of you are Prince, and that's not really "being in" the world you're in... I think Silas has many things to learn and develop as he matures and becomes whatever sort of person he wants to be, but there's not a "time" when you "click" from learning to being - so take the hits as they come (FYI Silas- I had no problem with you asking the question, but my thoughts in that thread are in that thread, so I won't repeat them) As for Sne1a - No one wants to offend you on a personal level as far as I can understand - You can have whatever name, gender identity, or anything else you want - but to demand everyone else be aware of and make amendments to their behaviour to suit is as oppressive as them dictating your behaviour and preferences to you. All this can be summed up in one of my Father's essential life lessons "Drive like everyone on the road is trying to kill you" thanks, i appreciate you saying this fair warning; i offend some people pretty regularly, and you might not be making any friends to appear to be "on my side" lol
    • On Earning Respect (Split from RESPECT) (Last post by Rickie)
    • I think giving respect is beneficial to the giver. VS Being disrespectful bleeds/lea positive energy. Does everyone deserve it? Most do but: prejudice, our judgment and over attachment to our opinions get in the way.
    • Momento Mori (Last post by steamboat28)
    • For the majority of my active time in this Temple, I have lived with and cared for my grandfather. Over the last three years, I watched his health decline. The most recent decline was rather sharp, and when he left us yesterday morning for whatever comes after, I couldn't help but notice the dichotomy of death. It brings nothing but gladness to me for those who have passed, because they get to rest. But it always brings sorrow for those left behind. Death is only hard on the living, it's said. Watching my family go through this process after seeing my grandfather's health leave him in a pitiable state, I can vouch for that. I think as long as I can maintain the knowledge of that dichotomy, I have a better understanding of what mortality is like. ...but it doesn't stave off the existential dread that I'm wasting my time on nonsense. :p
    • Your Presidential Candidate Preference (Last post by Silas Mercury)
    • "A ballot is like a bullet. You don't throw your ballots until you see a target, and if that target is not within your reach, keep your ballot in your pocket." - Malcolm X. If you vote for Hillary, you're voting for the Dixiecrats. You're voting for Obama again, basically. The first mixed race president doesn't mean he was a good one. Nor does a woman, necessarily. You vote Repuiblican, and you're voting for a madman. So vote green, or vote for Hillary and you better hope the damn woman listens to your protests.
    • Reminder: a 'Thank You' is not necessarily a 'Like... (Last post by Jutus)
    • I agree with OP on this one, as it pertains to how I've dealt with (and taught others to deal with) bullies in the past. I've taught a flow chart style of dealing with bullies on a verbal/emotional level (obviously doesn't work with physical bullying) that is basically a series of questions such as "Is it true?" and "Can you do anything about it?". If what the bully says (such as making fun of an acne breakout) is true, can be improved, and the person cares to work on it...I've suggested actually thanking the bully, despite the intention of the bully's statement. As in "Thank you. I wasn't sure if my acne was getting out of control again, but apparently it has become noticeable. I can certainly wash my face more than I have been and cut back on greasy foods more often. Thank you, and have a great day!" So yeah, I don't see "Thank you" as necessarily meaning "I share your intentions and point of view", but that it can mean more. Even if it's a "Thank you. I had never considered it like that. I want to think more about your point, because it's a good one."
    • Weighing Up Charitable Causes (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • If I have the money, I tend to just donate to the one that is available at the counter. Or when a huge disaster happens, I'll try to give to that (my degree is in Homeland Security and Emergency Management, so disasters are kind of close to my heart). When I was in the military, I had a regular donation to a foundation that did research into Marfan Syndrome because it runs in my family (my sister has it). The reason isn't so much that she has it, as it is that because she has it I know how difficult it is to diagnose, and that sometimes families wouldn't find out until their kids were well into their teens. My father died from it at 32, my grandmother only survived to her 50s by virtue of being a Nurse, so any heart attacks she had, she had doctors readily available to assist her. Thing is, neither of these two (my father or grandmother) were diagnosed with Marfan, my sister was the first one. So I think families could benefit from knowing as early as possible. That's why I donated to that particular charity, and one day might be able to do so again.
    • Movie Time!!! (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • A few of us are getting together September 4 @ 18:00 UTC to watch "The Fountain". PM Me if you would like more details. Here is the trailer below:
    • I Am (Last post by Jamie Kay)
    • I am a Leo, but I am not an extrovert. I am one of the shyest people you will meet. I am a writer, but I do not need to write every day. The latter is not that necessary to be the former. I am a feminist, but I am not a misandryist. I am a Gender Fluid human, but I am not confused about my identity. It changes and that's exactly how I like it. I am a reader, but I can make myself go to bed after one more chapter. :laugh:

There are 247 visitors, 4 guests and 46 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Manu, Karn, ren, Connor L., Wescli Wardest, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Joxman, Rickie, Llama Su, Kit, elizabeth, Edan, tzb, Senan, carlos.martinez3, Goken, Codex, Loudzoo, Atticus, Adi, Tellahane, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, Cayce, Gwinn, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, jhannuzs, sNe1a, Jamie Kay, x57z12, Leah Starspectre, Silas Mercury, Sephiroth_deus, Rahatha, Jutus.

Follow Us