Weight Lifting?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302035 by
Weight Lifting? was created by
Briefly browsing this forum show a bunch of body weight workouts, but little to no weightlifting workouts. Why?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302036 by
Replied by on topic Weight Lifting?
I use a good mixture of both. Body weight workouts are typically more convenient for many.

I still do pull ups/chin ups/inverted rows/push ups/etc but I use weights for presses, rows, and particularly for my leg work outs.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302044 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Weight Lifting?
Not everyone can afford the gym fees or time to go to the gym or to buy the equipment for their home. So body weight exercises are a way to get fit and work on with limited time and resources. Thus its a more common thing to find at a place that tends to put forward resources that do not cost you a dime.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago #302045 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Weight Lifting?

MadHatter wrote: Not everyone can afford the gym fees or time to go to the gym or to buy the equipment for their home. So body weight exercises are a way to get fit and work on with limited time and resources. Thus its a more common thing to find at a place that tends to put forward resources that do not cost you a dime.

Plus, members here have vastly different exercise needs based on their current fitness, age, pre-existing conditions or ailments, and body-weight exercises are a good way to minimize the risk for injury.

P.S. If you like the whole fiction thing, Jedi fitness as displayed in the movies would most likely resemble training in gymnastics, where body-weight is king.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago #302052 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?
I've been known to pick up the heavy things (and put them down again, when I forget why I picked them up)

It's never really had any relation to, uhh...jedi training, and TotJO was never going to be a strong source of discussion on the subject (much like recipes :P )

Bodyweight has advantages with accessibility, and the fact you can do anywhere, and generally for free, which suits some of the uh style of a lot of folks around the place.

If you summon him, I believe The Hannigan is happy to talk about sets and reps and listening to Disturbed in an Aggressive Salmon singlet

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #302058 by
Replied by on topic Weight Lifting?

Maybe_the_sith_arent_so_bad wrote: Briefly browsing this forum show a bunch of body weight workouts, but little to no weightlifting workouts. Why?

Because i never got around to posting my workouts.

More
6 years 6 months ago #302068 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Weight Lifting?
I posted some nice vidz in a thread recently;
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Health-physical-fitness-and-wellbeing/118508-no-idea-where-to-start#287773

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #302090 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Weight Lifting?
You can get a weight bench for less than a hundred at wal mart or off of amazon. You can go to a used sporting goods store like play-it-again sports and buy miscellaneous items like an ez curl bar for maybe 10 or 15 bucks and iron weight plates for like 60 cents a lb. Dumbbells are pretty cheap too. Heck, you can get a weight plate and a rope or a belt and thats a dumbbell too.
Push really comes to shove, you can fill a garbage bag with sand or water and put it into a pillow case or a bedsheet or something. Can buy a bag of cement mix, a couple buckets and some closet rods or even rebar lol. Go chop down a tree in the woods and lift that sonofabitch for reps lol.
Theres really no excuse for anyone over 14 to not have some kind of weights if they want them tbh. If you arent interested in wieghts thats fine, but im not impressed with "i wish i could lift weights but i just cant afford it" ... youre playing video games arent you? Buying cigarrettes or booze or coffee or fast food or net-flix every week or month, im pretty sure you could get some weights if you made it a real priority. Two years of lifting weights is a FOOKUVALOT better investement than two years of netflix or x-box: youll be proud of yourself for the weights: stronger and more capable, maybe a little bit dangerous, and other people might even be able to see the results when they look at you.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago #302092 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Weight Lifting?
Haha, you really don't want to argue with poor people, or try to tell them what their priorities should be.

(not that I disagree with you, old chum)

as for

Two years of lifting weights is a FOOKUVALOT better investement than two years of netflix or x-box: youll be proud of yourself for the weights, and other people will be able to see the results when they look at you.

Tell the people of Tamriel that. If I hadn't taken the time to protect them from Dagoth Ur, and Mehrunes Dagon, and Aldruin - well, who knows what could have happened to them?

It's part of being a Jedi or something, thinking of others ;)

(also, you can't work out all the time. Recovery is just as important.)

(I've got a vested interest in keeping the world unfit. They spend more on comfort items, and it keeps the bar low for being able to say you're "above average"

If everyone could do muscle-ups, what would be the point? :woohoo: :silly: )
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Kobos

More
6 years 6 months ago #302132 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Weight Lifting?
I lift twice a week with the random collection of free weights bought used between me an my roommate. I still follow a basic program that was taught to me in high school for American Football just scaled down. It is called BFS system here I am not sure if it is a normal system out-side of the school district. On that note I will grab a card from the weight room on Monday or Tuesday and throw the whole work out up here. It's a balanced lifting program strength and agility are both worked on in each work out.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi