Sword Training

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #292254 by
Sword Training was created by
There was a post about possibly including sword training on TOTJO. I know some of us here have training and would like to get a better understanding of what kind of knowledge we have here.
I have experience in Kendo but I mostly train lightsaber forms these days. I am primarily Makashi(form 2) but I can switch to Soresu(3) or Vaapad(7) if Makashi isn't doing well against my opponent.

Edit: I realize that not everyone knows these forms so I had better explain. Form 2 is similar to fencing. It's a dexterity based combat with lightning fast attacks. It requires balance and focus but it keeps the enemy at a distance and makes them work hard. Makashi uses one hand typically with primary foot forward
Form 3 is very defensive. Your primary foot should stay to the rear. I use defensive orbits and momentum to create a bubble of protection around me.
Form 7 is the opposite of 3. It requires anger to fuel your moves and is very strength based. I have been known to smack your blade right out of your hands. Unfortunately it uses very wide movements that can leave me vulnerable. Again primary foot forward.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292255 by
Replied by on topic Sword Training
I was actually talking about this last night with some friends here. Not sword training in particular, but lightsaber combat, drills, forms, ect. (I stared with Djem So, but have switched to Soresu because of my Aikido background (I have some videos of such on my personal journal for those interested)).

But I thought that perhaps it would be a fun way of getting the community together, have fun, learn from each other, get some fitness into our days, ect. Dunno if we can have a thread dedicated to that (perhaps within the Physical fitness forum or the SW subforum.)

But yes, I would love to see some martial arts around here. I think its a great way to encourage others to get into some fitness with the community, but also have some fun. :)

I look forward to seeing where this will go. :)

More
6 years 8 months ago #292258 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Sword Training
Perfect timing, ordering my first saber next week!

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292259 by
What are you getting?

More
6 years 8 months ago #292261 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Sword Training
A Kyberlight, just to practice with until I have the money for the Descendant from Saberforge (hero tier). Won't probably have that till tax time next year so getting the Kyberlight now will provide the means to get some good practice in. By the time I get the Descendant in the mail, I'll know what form I'm partial to and will be rather proficient at using it correctly...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292262 by
Kyberlight that's the $180 life time warranty on the blade with color switch?

More
6 years 8 months ago #292263 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Sword Training
I've been doing HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) for about a year and a half now.

The swordwork is drawn mainly from Lichtenhauer, with some Talhoffer and Fiore. I've been told that the local lightsaber training class is heavily based in Kendo and Fiore.

We also do ringen (grappling) which in also based in Lichtenhauer with some Russian SAMBO (the specialty of the instructor).

The thing with lightsaber-based training (from what I've been told) is that is less practical and more showy. Good for showing off and for solo training/fitness, but not great for combat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #292264 by
That can be true. My forms are designed for dueling unlike the film's. My main form is fiore based.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292269 by

Leah Starspectre wrote: The thing with lightsaber-based training (from what I've been told) is that is less practical and more showy. Good for showing off and for solo training/fitness, but not great for combat.

I do agree with your statement. I do it mostly for fun. :p

But, with my HEMA background, I go about it a bit differently than as seen in the prequels. (the original trilogy shows a much more realistic depiction of saber combat). But in the end its about fitness and having fun doing it. :)

If this idea takes off, I would love to see perhaps some of your HEMA practise, maybe some tutorials! :D I'm sure many would appreciate it, I know I will. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #292272 by
I think we are going to have some fun here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi