Need Help Getting Going

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289992 by
Need Help Getting Going was created by
I need to work on my physical health. I eat too much sugar and probably too many simple grains. I am too sedentary.

I also have some medical stuff going on that complicates how much, and what, I can do.

I'm looking for someone who's willing and able to help me figure out what is reasonable to ask of myself, and if I'm being too easy or hard on myself, and who would be willing to be firm enough to help me with accountability.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289995 by
Replied by on topic Need Help Getting Going
I am not qualified in any way... except that I have struggled with your same struggles for many years. Please message me if you think I can help. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289998 by
Are you looking to add exercise, change your diet, or both?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #289999 by

JLSpinner wrote: Are you looking to add exercise, change your diet, or both?

Both

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290001 by
I'll send you something in a p.m.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290037 by
If you're looking for accountability, consider starting a "30 days of discipline" style thread similar to those Amyntas was running a while back. It can be more or less than 30 days and you could perhaps set out a list of goals for participants to select from since it's geared more to health and fitness than discipline.

I'm sure there are many of us who can relate to your concerns and would be glad to join you in your efforts to get going (speaking for myself anyway).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290041 by
I have found, and it shames me, that I am disturbingly willing to just stop groups like that, to just say "oh well, didn't work" and just... stop.

I think I need to find some real motivation. And I don't know what that would be, since "you must lose belly fat and strengthen your core muscles in order to have this life saving surgery" doesn't even appear to be motivation enough...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290043 by
I hear you. I think I made it to about day 20 of the last challenge.

It's hard to get motivated to do something you "should" or "must" do. I think the secret is to find something active that you enjoy so it doesn't feel like exercise.

Maybe it's time to look into windsurfing or something - I imagine that requires a bit of core work. ;)

I hope you find what works for you. I'll be checking back to see what it is when you find it because maybe it will work for me too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290046 by
River,

I would be happy to start a 30 days of discipline thread with you and anybody else who needs a restart.

Because I resigned from TOTJO when I did a year and change ago, I was unable to keep my promise to the last group. Won't happen again, if you're interested. Especially using those resources I gave you.

It's time to stumble onto the road of success. haha.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #290047 by
Wow, I hadn't realized how much shame I carry about physical health stuff. No wonder it's hard to get going - I have a miracle of shame to Wade through every time I try!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi