Anger and using it as fuel

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268224 by
I was hoping some of you could offer some guidance or an opinion on something that has been troubling me if possible please?

Basically, I wanted to know what you think about using negative emotions to achieve positive things, that is, if you even believe such a thing is possible? For example, I've been weightlifting for about a year now and a lot my motivation in the weight room derives from anger; I don't NEED anger to train well, anger just helps me to train better/harder, or at least it feels that way?

Do you think it wise to operate like this or would you suggest avoiding it?

Thank you in advance,
May the force be with you... Always

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #268225 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Anger and using it as fuel
I would like to direct you to the sermon I just posted the other day :D

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Weekly-Sermons-and-Live-Services/116520-new-sermons#267881
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268226 by
Replied by on topic Anger and using it as fuel
What an absolutely fantastic sermon, I'll be saving that in my notes for future reference and practising what it details diligently. Thank you for the speedy reply as well!

May the force be with you... Always

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #268290 by OB1Shinobi
i'd say that anything that helps to get you to work out or that helps you improve your performance when you work out is good - but id also say that its likely that your anger wont be a reliable fuel and isnt always going to be as sharp as it is now

when you get your life basically under your own control and youre moving in a direction that youre happy with, IN TIME youll likely find that youre not as angry, generally

and of course anger usually comes from something going "wrong"
but what if nothing goes wrong for a few days- what if things even go really well for a few months?
do you skip the gym? do you not wiork as hard?
course not!

so id say that if youve got anger to use as fuel then use it, thats fine :-)
my personal suggestion would be to also make a conscious effort cultivate a strong sense of long term commitment, the willingness to take on long term commitments and the willingness to work hard for whatever you want

these are traits that will -totally opposite to anger- get sharper and more powerful with time, especially as you get better and better control of your own life

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #268464 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Anger and using it as fuel
Going grrrrrrr to lift and then ow!!! afterwards when your sore happens to spell grow. :pinch:

Could you get the same result by other ways.... what defines it as anger, instead of just say power? Why is it negative? I can imagine you could feel like your feeding off someone elses suffering, even though it might only be imagined by you it could be seen to promote a bad habit I guess... if that is how you generate your anger.

I've heard it said the best way to run fast is to imagine some frenzied panther chasing ya down from behind!!! But fright implies flight and so might promote injury if the foundation and form is not already there, while something like anger can be a bit slower I guess. I used to just visualize the function of the muscle and imbue that visualization with an almost electric charge type of unlimited power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3OjfK0t1XM

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 3 months ago #268500 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Anger and using it as fuel
Anger is one side of the fight or flight response...fear/terror and anger/rage can both trigger the release of adrenaline which is good for a boost...the trick is getting the boost without the emotional response that accompanies it...or at least keeping it controlled....it's very difficult and often is more self destructive...there's a reason the body doesn't constantly release adrenaline...the strain is destructive...over time we can eventually repair the damage, usually not without lasting effects though...can it be done, yes....easier for some of us than for others (the control part in particular), should it be done, probably not...unless you're willing to pay for it in the future...everything has a cost....when you use anger/rage in particular there is always the risk of displacing the emotional aspect on some u fortunate innocent....just something to bear in mind...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268507 by
I would suggest a cup of coffee, or a preworkout as fuel for exercise.

I don't know how you create emotional content in a void.

Anger just doesn't happen without context for me.

For a workout. A cup of coffee, a d some metal.

What are you angry about?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268519 by
Having lifted weights and fought competitively, allow me to offer another path:

"Getting hyped or pumped is a very poor tool compared to pure discipline."

The motivational posters and sayings and 'trances' that you put yourself in can sometimes prove to be useful, but they are a very fickle thing to rely on. Some days, no amount of loud music is going to help make you want to go, and on those days, you simply must have the discipline to suck it up and embrace the bitter work. As a matter of fact, I'd even say that trying to tap into emotion for the purpose of a physical practice is simply adding another degree of potential failure to your progress. Rather than using the anger to make the lift, use confidence that your training has led you to success, visualize the success, and then succeed. It really is that simple. No about of getting pumped will ever allow you to willpower up more than your body is prepared for in a safe manner. Train smart and leave these 'tricks' by the wayside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268529 by
I am useless when i am angry , if i hold on to it i only start crying and get nothing done , so , when i get angry i just try to work through it , or just sit down waiting for it to fade away because every time i try to "use" my anger i break stuff :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #268538 by
Perhaps it is time to stop using emotions as a crutch... If being angry really makes you stronger, then perhaps you should learn what about anger is providing that service. Do some scientific research. I imagine it has to do with the adrenaline rush of intense present-ness. You are feeling and focusing on a task, so it provides you a true focal point for your action.

That doesn't require anger or intense emotion... it just requires being pumped and ready to go.

And, also, don't trust your intuition to tell you what emotion you're feeling. How do you know you're feeling anger in the gym? Unless you are "acting" out the emotion by picturing your ex on the punching bag... haha.

If you are feeling truly negative emotions in the gym, then some introspection on where it's coming from is necessary. Who are you mad at? What crappy things are happening in your life?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi