mind over matter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204947 by
mind over matter was created by
Do you believe in "mind over matter" principle concerning serious health issues? Cancer, depression etc.?

I feel that today's society is greatly inclined towards "robotizing" man, perceiving human being as little more than a biological computer. Even as far as Carnegie's ~motivation book on anxiety there are examples of "mind over matter", which were relevant then but are rarely taken seriously now in the medical community.

It seems that the more we develop power of technology (pharmacology, IT), the less we believe in human powers - this aligns with thoughts of Campbell, Lucas, Einstein.

For most people, that has not a direct impact on their life, but for me it is. And I believe that as Jedi, declaring ourselves bearers of humanness at it's best - I can find some understanding here.

I would be grateful for you insights and experience on the matter.

Examples and references are most welcome!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204951 by
Replied by on topic mind over matter
Speaking strictly anecdotally, I've noticed that most things can be as simple as mind over matter, at face value. But, deeper than that, if one hasn't optimized for the result they are looking for, the journey will be more difficult. For instance, I know that I am capable of lifting a heavy amount of weight and sprinting for 400 meters, but if I haven't optimized for those things by preparing myself, both physically and mentally, I will limit my output and performance by leaps and bounds. I'd still be able to do those things, but with weak performance and shoddy form.

To translate that over to depression or cancer, I don't think it's possible. I don't believe one can mentally overcome cancer any more than one can mentally force themselves out of depression. It takes other variables that affect us in small but meaningful ways. But, if you haven't optimized your chances for success over obstacles, you're going to have a bad time trying. Things like diet, physical activity, social interaction, and learning new things are but a few of the many things that can make contributions to optimization for better (and sometimes easier) success over the obstacles that life throws our way.

Messing with those variables, one or more at a time, can and has shown to be more effective than changing ALL of them at the same time (still speaking anecdotally). This way we can see what works and what doesn't -- essentially what's effective and ineffective. No sense in changing everything if it's only a few things that are creating the problem, eh? So, optimizing one's life to provide a better environment for mentally overcoming health-related issues would be better than starting from scratch when the problem arises. That is, if our physical, social, and emotional health are suffering, what are the chances that our mental efforts will be effective in solving any issues?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204952 by
I believe that the mind can do amazing things and that "mind over matter" can work to a certain extent. However, I'm not sure if I believe that I can actually will myself to be less sick than anyone else but I know that I can will myself to be less outwardly effected by it.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #204954 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic mind over matter
i would not suggests that "the mind" can cure HIV or make an amputated limb grow back - but control of ones attention can result in some pretty amazing things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsNh0eB-Io

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204961 by
Thank you for opinions!

@OB1 - video link is broken :(

I am personally interested in the question, as I said. My unwilling experiment is still in process, yet I know that "to some extent" this really works. Mind does not do magic, but it directs health through long amounts of time. Optimistic and balanced individual has more resilience to mostly any health issues other than severed head. I've read many references on scientific research of emotional factor over last years.

For me, matter is a mind crystallized over long time - meaning that recurring thoughts eventually find their physical form in muscle tension and hormone levels. I think that illnesses greatly vary on proportion of organic and psychological factor. But as of depression, I believe that the key is in changing mind. This seems obvious for me now, but dominating point of view in psychological society is meds-centered, AFAIK. That's easier and shorter way. But this does not make it right way.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204963 by

den385 wrote: For me, matter is a mind crystallized over long time - meaning that recurring thoughts eventually find their physical form in muscle tension and hormone levels. I think that illnesses greatly vary on proportion of organic and psychological factor. But as of depression, I believe that the key is in changing mind. This seems obvious for me now, but dominating point of view in psychological society is meds-centered, AFAIK. That's easier and shorter way. But this does not make it right way.

Indeed, the mental state can determine the hormone levels and has been proven so. Sustained, increased stress levels directly correlate to increased cortisol levels and other hormone imbalances, which can do some nasty things to our overall health.

As far as depression goes, it does start with the brain, but it's more than just mental. The studies are still ongoing as to what triggers it and how best to treat it.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #204981 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic mind over matter
mind over matter....if you don't mind, it don't matter...lol....

the mind is a wonderful thing...if you control it, you control your body....for a great many things simply being able to control your mind is enough...sometimes though, it needs outside help...

when i was in high school, we had a saying on the wall in the football teams weight room... "what my mind can conceive, my body can achieve".....

in philosophy class we learned of a concept called "the self fulfilling prophecy", in which we become so focused on an outcome, that our subconscious mind acts to fulfill it....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204986 by
This is where meditation comes in, as well as the idea of practice. meditation allows you to control your mind and thoughts, meditating ( at-least closing your eyes and breath control for 2-3 minutes) before a test or event greatly helps with the nervousness. Practice is what we also fail to do, the more you apply yourself and do, the more you can do, .. a simple example is physics and my math homework, I have never done this before but do have a great interest in it. Its so making me angry right now but as i keep practicing and going over and over, I find myself do so much better. In our studies of the force, I believe what you put in into it and what you want it to do is up to you, mind over matter is up to the user in a way.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi