Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Science discovers God (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Now, before we start, I would like it recognized that I do not believe the Bible is a literal interpretation. I think it is a set of stories set to best explain things to a people in a certain time period where many of the lessons are timeless and universal. Just like many other religions. At least one other has disputed the biblical definition of the Christian God. So… God is not matter, He has no flesh and bones or material substance of any kind (Lk. 24:39). He is not dependent upon any other source for His spirituality or existence, as are we. We derive our spirituality from our Father (Acts 17:24-25). An essential characteristic of spirituality is life (Jer. 10:10; 1 Thes. 1:9; John 5:26; 14:6; Heb. 7:16). Personality also inheres in spirituality. God is self-conscious, He has the attribute of self-determination and purpose. Eternity is part of God's character (Dt. 32:40; Ps. 90:2; 102:23-27; Isa. 41:4; Eph. 1:4; 1 Tim. 1:17). Eternity is relative to us because in order for us to define this concept we must relate it to time and space. God existed before time and space, they are His creations (Gen. 1:1, 8, 14), and He will exist independently of them after they are destroyed (Heb. 1:10-13). Another aspect of the Biblical God is that he gave us free will. This is because he wants us to choose him. Faith has little merit if it is backed by proof. Then it is not faith at all but knowing. There are amazing coincidence that can either be attributed as influence of something greater than ourselves working in our lives or shear dumb luck. If one chooses not to believe, then no argument short of definitive proof will satisfy. I one believes, then no argument is needed. And faith is not blind. For those that believe in something more than themselves, the results, actions and efforts are felt and seen in everyday life. For those that choose not to believe it is commonly dismissed as folly or unfounded superstition. So Occam’s razor could support the existence of the Biblical God. Occam’s razor is often quoted as, if all other possibilities have been eliminated then what ever is left is the answer. But it is actually a scientific and philosophic rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • This ridiculous ignorance www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/24/woma...while-another-given/
    • Microsoft's 'teen girl' AI turns into a Hitler-lov... (Last post by JamesSand)
    • Quote: Assuming ignorance by Occams Razor works when the issue it is assumed on/for matches a Gaussian distribution. Seeing as that which was fed to the bot was rather one-sided, the assumption of ignorance seems a lot less likely than the assumption of intend. I was assuming ignorance by the bot designers of the eventual outcome, not of the people "feeding" it information. Quote: Who knows if it were trolls, ignoramuses or people pointing out a morality flaw in a new technique. Oh, trolls, I feel confident enough in that, but I'm not too bothered by what they thought they were doing at the time, only by what they achieved. Quote: I believe it to be somewhat telling that apparently our first dominant instinct in this case was to flood the thing with racism and bigotry. This may have to do with where it was "released". As alluded to earlier - what if the program was given free reign somewhere else, or not identified as to it's purpose? If you put your nice scarf in the kitty litter tray, you can bet it's going to smell like cat piss. (I still hold that the people who wrote the program either didn't know, didn't think, or it didn't occur to them that Twitter is the communications equivalent of a kitty litter tray - I'm fairly sure it's not worth any of their jobs to intentionally make microsoft look foolish) I never saw the thing in operation, so all my thoughts on the matter are wildly speculative. Anyway, the Marines have a phrase - Good Initiative, Bad Judgment - that probably applies to these sorts of endeavours.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Grateful that wherever I go for work, there is always a mcdonalds somewhere nearby.
    • The Gender Unicorn (Last post by JamesSand)
    • Ah, Unicorns. They're neat. Anyway, to fill out the scale - Male, Masculine, Male, Women, Women. Although outside of filling out forms, I identify as "a 180cm tall, 80kg meatsack in blue jeans and sunnies" - that's not an option on most official documents however. That doesn't interest me at all though, What does interest me is that I was born with ankyloglossia, and while it was relatively easy to solve (physically) at a young age, the effects of it are noticable thoughout my adulthood. I've considered wearing a badge that says "Excuse me if I sound like I'm gibbering, but I had a medical condition that made speech difficult", but then I'll get undesired questions or looks of pity, and unfortunately, despite the distress and occasional difficulty communicating, I don't qualify for any government assistance or benefits. What I am trying to say is "I really don't care what you are, or think you are, if you can do the job, you're hired - and if one or several people are being inhumane towards you I'll stand with you (or between you and them if need be) but I still won't care what you are at the end of it" Anyway, Everyone is free to say "You straightwhitemale devil, you have no right to compare a speech impediment to the opressions trans and nonbinary people feel every day" (Except for the speech impediment crowd, who are free to say the same thing, but with a different emphasis)
    • Radical Islam (Last post by Gisteron)
    • About the tribalism thing, let's not forget that Islamic scriptures and other canonical and scholarly sources go quite a long way to reinforce the line between the in-group and the outsiders, painting them as mutual enemies most of the time and dehumanizing the non-Muslims at other times. They also prohibit various dealings and relations with outsiders on numerous occasions "lest they lead the faithful astray". It is very openly cult-like in this sense. Now wait for a few generations to absorb that everybody else are swine, throw in a bunch of explicit commands to violence against them and a situation like we have now is inevitable. Islam is by no means the only contributor here, and as any other cult it feeds on natural human tendencies, but it is still a rather major factor, albeit perhaps far from the only one.
    • Doing that thing from that one brochure (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Awesome! I found this really helpful when I was struggling (at the end of my rope...) to quit sugar binging. Perhaps you might too. www.rational.org/index.php?id=36 It is the opposite of a "12 step" course, which I found really attractive.
    • sith/jedi (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Sith (mythological) in general tend to be very close-minded And fictional Jedi tend to be equanimous, compassionate and thoughtful. Sadly (speaking especially of my own behaviour), we tend to fall short of that. Some of us don't even aspire toward those lofty goals. Can't imagine why "real life" Sith should be expected to be anything like the fictional ones. Honestly, I feel like that's kind of the whole point of this site. At least for those that start the IP and become "Jedi" rather than just guests who are here for discussion purposes (nothing wrong with that, of course). We (the non-guests and those who have applied to be non-guests) aspire to those ideals, even if we do fall short of them. But the idea of a person aspiring to the ideals of a Sith as I described makes me a little nervous. Like, if I want to be more equanimous, compassionate, and thoughtful, most people would say that's a noble goal. But if I were to say that I want to be more close-minded, backstabbing, and power-hungry, most people might decide to keep their distance and wonder about my lifestyle choices. Personally, I don't know anyone irl who aspires to the Sith values I described (though I know plenty that live up to them...they just deny it, because whether they're aware or not, they're definitely not proud of the values they're exhibiting). Some old fart once said "Jedi ain't saints, and Sith ain't sinners," or something to that effect...
    • Yoga Camp (Last post by Edan)
    • Yoga Camp - Day 19 - 'I Respect' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_AgjOSsCKE&list=PLui6Eyny-Uzx5BRNB2_Kvycrn5h9OsaHC&index=20
    • Jedi do not smoke. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Den and I are still talking... He has decided to just take a sabbatical, and has not left for good, if I understand right... Time will tell... [attachment]
    • If you are not able to live it I feel there is som... (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Quote: I have wondered about this very thing many times. It's cool and all, but what does it really change. No matter how many times I tell myself that there is no spoon I still can't just bend it with my mind. So does the idea that there is no spoon really matter? When in action everything to me matters.I never live in hypotheticals, waist of good thinking time to me...jk. But when we have an idea at least when I do or a thought, and I try it... everything matters. Did it work? Why why not. I break things down, it's my nature some times which CAN be disciplined. We can memorize creeds, wills, ways, words, but if they stay in the...realm of our minds and never happen... well then they never really happened . No exp points no credits no log in no nothing. Doesn't exist. That being said it is a scary thing. Action and change scare every one. No one is immune . How we react... there is the gravy!! Keep seeking friends, keep finding what you look for. Keep acting what you learn, it's called learning. If they don't work... think... use your bright light! Figure it out. Some times its just as easy as meditation then your like, we'll that s obvious now that I have taken time to stop n thing. That's one of many ideas here....TRY!

There are 107 visitors, 6 guests and 32 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Jestor, J_Roz, Joe, Dechlain, Connor L., Wescli Wardest, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Joxman, Avalonslight, tzb, Rick D, Namid, Cabur Senaar, Cyan Sarden, Loudzoo, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, MartaLina, Brick, Kyrin Wyldstar, SecondVariation, Codama, Amaterasu, x57z12, Leah Starspectre, Albekl, Blitz7737, Jack, Jutus, MJ Hannigan, cravenflame, devmag.

Follow Us