Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Apparently a bill passed in the House that would require women to register for the draft. Soon we'll be able to send twice as many people to die in meaningless wars. :angry: :angry: :angry:
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by sNe1a)
    • Piggy - Nine Inch Nails I actually can't provide a link because I am listening the old fashion way. CD player!! Just look it up, it is a great song. I listen to this when I am moping around in self-pity. It really helps. I just remembered that I can provide the MPEG Layer 3 Audio File. Enjoy the file. [attachment]
    • The Evolutionary Argument Against Reality (Last post by Alan)
    • It doesn't surprise me that a Jedi has posted this article (I saw this article a few days ago and thought it might be of interest here but didn't act on that thought). I think humans perceive the world in a generally similar manner because of the similarity of our sense organs and how the brain organizes perception, but what we think regarding what is perceived differs. Reality changes as our knowledge changes. Some books on that hypothesis: * Michel Foucault, The Archaeology of Knowledge * Thomas S. Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions * George Lakoff & Mark Johnson, Metaphors We Live By * Maurice Merleau-Ponty, The Phenomenology of Perception Another hypothesis is that language is another contributing factor in structuring our understanding of what we perceive. See linguistic relativity or Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Can we, for example, see something we don't have a word for? Or see a phenomenon in a distinctive way because there is a vocabulary regarding it.
    • TOTJO Clergy Structure (Last post by Aqua)
    • 'cmwatts' added to the 'Seminarian' Key. 'Competent' added to the 'Seminarian' Key. 'J_Roz' added to the 'Seminarian' Key. 'elizabeth' added to the 'Seminarian Key.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful for Jeriko, who has never asked me to be anything other than I am.
    • Your Jedi Rituals (Last post by Adder)
    • I guess meditation could be seen as a ritual of transmutation in the experience of ones awareness. In the same way I do some rudimentary lightsaber stuff to assist my lucidity in dreaming, because if you could be anything in a dream why not entertain a Star Wars theme as a bridging foundation for lucidity :lol: I think I have others but I keep forgetting them, almost as if sometimes things just seem to deserve the sort of attention something might get like it was a ritual.
    • Application for Assistant Pastor for the Seminary (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Just wanted to give this a quick bump! Also, I wanted to let you all know that though the closing date seems far away, it would be wonderful if you could submit your name as early as possible. Even if you have an errant thought about the possibility of applying, do it. Your application needn't be anything elaborate. Just a simple note letting the Synod know you are interested Thanks
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Edan)
    • Next random installment of my non-poetry... ~~~~~~~~~~~ It had been a while since the cathedral had served its first purpose, that of a place of worship. The stone altar, which had so far been swallowed by the shadow unnoticed, stood now in a pool of candlelight. A circle of red church candles surrounded it, each barely melted and smelling strongly of their wax. The book from the plinth now rested on the altar open to a page around the beginning, one of the earlier writings and less legible. The robes I barely ever wore hung heavy on me, a mirror of the feelings I had about not having performed the ritual more often. My finger on the page at the first words, I noticed suddenly that he was standing beside me. “This is for you,” I said, confused. “And I am here for you” he replied. I nodded. I lit the incense and together we spoke the ancient words, their sound echoing not just throughout the cathedral but through my own body. They sounded like nonsense but each word held a meaning understood by flesh as well as mind. I was the priest, not just in robe and word, but in feeling and knowledge also. I struck the gong and the sound reverberated through every cell in my body and every thought in my head… for a moment the two of us were one within the sound, both vibrating at the same frequency. I knew all that he knew, felt what he felt, thought as he thought… all manner of being directed into this channel, him experiencing my reflection in return. The sound dissolved, my consciousness returning to my own… I breathed deeply in the found silence and felt a new strength. “Thank you” I said, turning to him… but he was no longer there. And I noticed, as I looked down at my hand on the book, that I was now wearing his ring.
    • Initiation programme (Last post by Konstan)
    • Quote: It may help to remember the example you mention (Mark 11:12-14 and Mark 11:20-23) as metaphorical, since metaphor was a common way of conveying truths if not facts in the ancient world. A common metaphor for Israel, throughout its history, was a fig tree. It's a metaphor that the first readers or listeners of the Gospels would have been familiar with. Considering the context of the Gospels (Jesus upsetting the power balance of Israel - especially its religious authorities), it's not a stretch to see this (especially with the command that no one may eat fruit from the tree again) as a critique of the religious power structure in 1st century Judea. The verses immediately following the encounter with the tree (Mark 11:15-17) but before the verse about moving mountains feature Jesus going into the Temple and turning over tables of "money changers" and merchants selling doves, making a powerful statement through his actions (that is, that temples ought to simply be houses of prayer rather than functioning as banks/marketplaces as they often did in the ancient world.) Jesus was, in a way, doing literally what he did metaphorically to the tree, enough that the Jewish religious authorities immediately set out to try to kill him. So, there is more to it than Jesus simply killing an innocent tree, and that is the tricky part about myths. You can interpret it as a hungry, angry Jesus lashing out at a poor, hapless tree that would not bear fruit for him outside of its season, or you can see it as the metaphor it was *probably* intended to be. The Gospel of Mark is full of cases of metaphorical "side stories" like that which shed light on the "main" story being told, but seem to be irrelevant on the face of things. Thanks Adi, that's a great interpretation!
    • 2015-2016 Sermon Schedule (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Wonderful People, It is almost May! And look! Only 2 sermon slots have been filled Good news is that you can still submit your name :) Send me a PM if you want to be added

There are 143 visitors, 5 guests and 27 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Firewolf, J_Roz, Joe, Connor L., Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, Khaos, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Jamie Stick, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Aqua, OB1Shinobi, Relyt Dagor, Atticus509, Adi, Aikido, SWTB, Ke JinnDakken, MadHatter, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, sNe1a, Volk, Golem, Jedi Traceur, Nikolay.

Follow Us