Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Momento Mori (Last post by Reacher)
    • As usual, Cabur, you express relevant, heartfelt topics with excellence and eloquence. To the readers: Quote: Memento mori ("remember that you have to die") is a Latin expression, originating from a practice common in Ancient Rome; as a general came back victorious from a battle, and during his parade ("Triumph") received compliments and honors from the crowd of citizens, he ran the risk of falling victim to haughtiness and delusions of grandeur; to avoid it, a slave stationed behind him would say "Respice post te. Hominem te memento" ( "Look after you [to the time after your death] and remember you're [only] a man."). It was then reused during the medieval period, it is also related to the ars moriendi ("The Art of Dying") and related literature. Memento mori has been an important part of ascetic disciplines as a means of perfecting the character by cultivating detachment and other virtues, and by turning the attention towards the immortality of the soul and the afterlife. In art, mementos mori are artistic or symbolic reminders of mortality. In the European Christian art context, "the expression... developed with the growth of Christianity, which emphasized Heaven, Hell, and salvation of the soul in the afterlife." Pulled from Wikipedia: Memento Mori: Remember That You Must Die
    • White Knight Syndrome (Last post by Rex)
    • Dear Readers, I have social media, loud friends, and read the news. At least once a day I hear someone jump into their moral superman onsie and try to race to the rescue of some metaphorical damsel in distress. 90% of the time I hear about it, it isn't the proper authority to do so (because if it was, it wouldn't make the front page eh?) and they end up blundering about looking well... just like an oversized chump in a superman onsie. I know sometimes I'll try to jump in an argument on behalf of one side and interpret my understanding of that when I'm not a part of the debate. I'll don my big kid white knight armor and ride upon my hashtagged steed into battle against the obviously wrong other side to defend the silent damsels (or dudes) in distress. And for the times I've done that, I apologize. Anyways, if you have something constructive, personal, and new to bring to the table, I'll love it. If you're jumping in on someone else's behalf, making broad generalizations, and end up straw manning your ideas, it's really a waste of both of our time. Thanks!
    • Telekinesis? (Last post by Rex)
    • Quote: I have believed in telekinesis all of my life. I try to practice it when I can, but havent had much luck lately due to my lack of energy. What are your thoughts on it? (Please be respectful of other's beliefs in this) The temple is beautiful. On an ideal day, we're all respectfully challenging each others' opinons. I, along with every person I know of who's done research on it, believe telekinesis by human means to be completely impossible within the realm of natural forces. That doesn't discount something supernatural happening, but again, the supernatural isn't natural so you'd be trying to play "force of the gaps" theory. Why do you believe in telekinesis? From the context of this, it sounds like you have had success - what does that mean? I respectfully think telekinesis is bunk, and wonder why you disagree I guess. If you want to get into the science of some pseudo-psychic powers, there was a thread a while ago that discussed them as previously mentioned.
    • Book Club? (Last post by Jamie Kay)
    • Oh, that's certainly true. Thank you for pointing that out, Edan. We might just need to make it an optional read that can be done outside of regular sessions--maybe between two people or so. And thank you, Rosalyn, for the link! We can certainly draw upon that thread for suggestions. :)
    • Your Presidential Candidate Preference (Last post by Senan)
    • Presidential elections get all of the press, but the office of President of the United States doesn't really hold the power that people think it does anymore. Sure, the "finger on the nuclear trigger" is scary, but in more practical instances, the President can do very little without cooperation from his/her own party and at least some support from any opposition. In recent years, the President has basically just been a patsy that takes the blame anything that goes wrong while they are in office. The local election in your town, village or city is where you will see the direct impact of your vote. I digress... Back to the matter at hand. 1. I always vote, regardless of if it "actually matters" 2. I know about Johnson, but not enough to make a wise decision about him. 3. I have been a registered Democrat my whole adult life and have always voted for the Democratic candidate for President, but I have considered third party candidates before. 4. I don't like a lot of what Hillary has to offer, but I'm likely going to vote for her anyway. She's an evil I am familiar with.
    • Practical Jediism (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • PREFACE This little book, written during the last months of peace, goes to press in the first weeks of The Great War. Many will feel that in such a time of conflict and horror, when only the most ignorant, disloyal, or apathetic can hope for quietness of mind, a book which deals with that which is called the "contemplative" attitude to existence is wholly out of place. So obvious, indeed, is this point of view, that I had at first thought of postponing its publication. On the one hand, it seems as though the dreams of a spiritual renaissance, which promised so fairly but a little time ago, have perished in the sudden explosion of brute force. On the other hand, the thoughts of the many people are now turned, and rightly, towards the most concrete forms of action - struggle and endurance, practical sacrifices, difficult and long continued effort - rather than towards the passive attitude of self-surrender which is all that the practice of Jediism seems, at first sight, to demand. Moreover, that deep conviction of the dependence of all human worth upon eternal values, the immanence of The Force within the human soul, which lies at the root of a Jedi concept of life, is hard indeed to reconcile with much of the human history now being poured red-hot from the cauldron of war. For all these reasons, we are likely during the present crisis to witness a revolt from those superficially mystical notions which threatened to become too popular during the immediate past. Yet, the title deliberately chosen for this book - that of "Practical" Jediism - means nothing if the attitude and the discipline which it recommends, be adapted to fair weather alone: if the principles for which it stands break down when subjected to the pressure of events, and cannot be reconciled with the sterner duties of the our lives. To accept this position is to reduce Jediism to the status of a spiritual play-thing. On the contrary, if the experiences on which it is based have indeed the transcendent value for humanity which the Jedi claim for them - if they reveal to us a world of higher truth and greater reality than the world of concrete happenings in which we seem to be immersed - then that value is increased rather than lessened when confronted by the overwhelming disharmonies and sufferings of the present time. It is significant that many of these experiences are reported to us from periods of war and distress: that the stronger the forces of destruction appear, the more intense the spiritual vision which oppose them, grow. We learn from these records, that the Jedi (mystical) consciousness has the power of lifting those who possess it to a plane of reality which no struggle, no cruelty, can disturb: of conferring a certitude which no catastrophe can wreck. Yet it does not wrap its initiates in a selfish and otherworldly calm, isolate them from the pain and effort of the common life. Rather, it gives them renewed vitality; administering to the human spirit not - as some suppose - a soothing draught, but the most powerful of stimulants. Stayed upon eternal realities, that spirit will be far better able to endure and profit by the stern discipline which people are now called to undergo, than those who are wholly at the mercy of events; better able to discern the real from the illusory issues, and to pronounce judgement on the new problems, new difficulties, new fields of activity now disclosed. Perhaps it is worthwhile to remind ourselves that the two women who have left the deepest mark upon the military history of France and England - Joan of Arc and Florence Nightingale - both acted under mystical compulsion. So, too, did one of the noblest of 19th Century soldiers, General Gordon. Their actions were directly connected with their deep spiritual consciousness: their intensely practical energies were the flowers of a contemplative life. We are often told, that in the critical periods of history it is the spirit of the people which counts: that "where there is no vision, the people perish." No person is truly defeated who retains their spiritual strength. No person is truly victorious who emerges with soul, stained. If this be so, it becomes a part of true honour to keep the spiritual life, both of the individual citizen and of the social group, active and vigorous; its vision of realities unsullied by the entangled interests and passions of the time. This is a task in which all may do their part. The Jedi life is not a special career, involving abstraction from the world of things. It can be a part of every person's life; and until they have realised some spiritual path, a person is not a complete human being, has not entered into possession of all their powers. It is therefore the function of a Practical Jediism to increase, not diminish, the total efficiency, the wisdom and steadfastness, of those who try to practise it. It will help them to enter, more completely than ever before, into the life of the group to which they belong. It will teach them to see the world in a truer proportion, discerning eternal beauty beyond and beneath apparent ruthlessness. It will educate them in a charity, free from all taint of sentimentalism; it will confer on them an unconquerable hope; and assure them that still, even in the hour of greatest desolation, "There lives the dearest freshness deep down things." As a contribution, then, to these purposes, this little book is now published. It is addressed neither to the learned nor to the devout, who are already in possession of a wide literature dealing from many points of view with the experiences and philosophy of the Jedi. Such readers are warned that they will find here nothing but the restatement of elementary and familiar propositions, and invitations to a discipline, immemorially old. Far from presuming to instruct those to whom first-hand information is both accessible and palatable, I write only for the larger class which, repelled by the formidable appearance of more elaborate works on the subject, would yet like to know what is meant by Jediism, and what it has to offer to the typical person: how it helps to solve their problems, how it harmonises with the duties and ideals of their active life. For this reason, I presuppose in my readers no knowledge whatever of the subject, either upon the philosophic, religious, or historical side. Nor, since I wish my appeal to be general, do I urge the special claim of any one theological system, any one metaphysical school. I have merely attempted to put the view of the universe and our place in it, which is common to all Jedi, in plain and untechnical language: and to suggest the practical conditions under which everyone may participate in that experience. Therefore the abnormal states of consciousness which sometimes appear in connection with mystical genius are not discussed: my business being confined to the description of a faculty which all people possess in a greater or lesser degree. The reality and importance of this faculty are considered in the first three chapters. In the fourth and fifth is described the preliminary training of attention necessary for its use; in the sixth, the general self-discipline and attitude toward life which it involves. The seventh, eighth, and ninth chapters (treat in an elementary way) of the three great forms of contemplation; and in the tenth, the practical value of the life in which they have been actualised is examined. Those kind enough to attempt the perusal of the book are begged to read the first sections with some attention before passing to the latter part. Eveleyn Underhill September 12, 1914.
    • Reminder: a 'Thank You' is not necessarily a 'Like... (Last post by Codex)
    • It is weird to say but I noticed that a spesific type of forum members, on the world wide web in general, finds post-hunting and weird 'trophies' (forum symbols, post rate, prestige, profile pimping, report button spamming, backseat modding, etc.) highly valuable in their online lifestyle. :ohmy: Some forums I visited over the years had massive law books on how to write posts and how to deal with these kind of things because of these problems. Thanking another for whatever the reason creates a feeling of involvement, that promotes and encourages. I find that the Temple forums are well balanced because not everything is explained in detail, including this button, it leaves room to be human and to think for yourself what it means. I really like that! :blush:
    • On Racism (Split Topic) (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Quote: Quote: You're like the rest of us. I'm not, I put my pants on 2 legs at a time and hop into my shoes....or does everyone do that? :laugh: I lay down some times and wiggle in em just to make my boy laugh, does that count?
    • Bill Nye is getting a new TV Show! (Last post by SecondVariation)
    • Quote: While he holds several honorary doctorate degrees in the scientific community, his only real education is a mechanical engineering degree from Cornell. The "Bill Nye the Science Guy" moniker came from a reoccurring sketch comedy skit that he did for a local sketch comedy show here in Seattle (I miss Almost Live :( ). He's a funny guy, and can do some cool science parlor tricks, but he is no scientist. Can I ask what your definition of a scientist is?
    • Motivation/Insparation (Last post by Loudzoo)
    • In the morning the kids jumping on my chest or the dog licking my face :laugh: For the rest of the day it's pretty much a consistent and largely unconscious practice of asking "What would Obi-Wan* do now?" * or Florence Nightingale, or George Fox, or Thomas Young, or Valentino Rossi, or Kelly Slater or Bjorn Lomborg
    • Weighing Up Charitable Causes (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: So, the question is - are some charitable causes inherently more deserving, or more important than others? What motivates you to choose one charity over another? Is it possible to be fair in the charity arena? I give to the charities whose causes I feel most strongly about. I give money to multiple animal charities because I have homed a lot of rescue animals, a cancer charity because my godmother died of breast cancer, and the local ambulance service because it gets no funding but it's important to my area. I have also raised money for the MS society, because my friend has MS and the only options he has is one treatment with horrible side effects after another. I tend not to put money in donation boxes/buckets ever since I found out that some people collecting get some of the cash (husband knows someone first hand who did this), so I try to give direct to the charities. I don't shop at Waitrose, but if I was faced with such an option I'd probably just do the same as you, put the token in the least full pot. Truth is, I don't know what constitutes 'fair' in charity. Though I can't say which charities are most important, I can think of a few causes which are definitely deserve more than they currently get (I'm thinking along the lines of prostate cancer charities here).
    • Yoga Camp (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: I am sorry for the lack of updates its just yoga is yoga to me. However I will say there have been a couple of days that I feel asleep on the living room floor that really caused my back to flair up. Yet the next days yoga worked it out. So maybe this is something I need to do with regularity. When I do yoga every day I get to a point where my body aches because of yoga and the only thing that makes the ache go away is yoga!

There are 193 visitors, 4 guests and 36 members online (5  in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, Manu, Trisskar, Joe, Blackbeltmitpen, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Lykeios, Joxman, Llama Su, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Zenchi, Cabur Senaar, Codex, Atticus, Tellahane, Jack.Troutman, MadHatter, Gwinn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Rex, Skylail, Taliveth, Leah Starspectre, Lightbearer, Rahatha, Cro, Arisaig, Jutus, Massahiro.

Follow Us