Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Making of a Jedi Warrior (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • im having issues with my left shoulder lately from weights and bag work and not resting enough this video explains an exersize that -- some dude on the internet - recomends to help with proper structure when punching dont know that it would have helped me as much as geting the proper rest between workouts but its an issue to be very minful of
    • White Privilege (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Quote: Quote: EDIT i often post, and then as i read my post i either notice a mistake or i realize an idea that i forgot to mention, or that just belongs, and then i go and do an edit sometimes when i do this, i notice a "thank you" to the original post, which happened here, and i always wonder if the person feels tricked lol no trickery was intended! :laugh: I often have that fear. That's why I don't frequently edit my posts but rather make new ones. Since the "Thank you" was mine this time I can say I did not feel tricked. This time. :evil: :laugh: I edit a bajillion times, but as soon as I see that first "thank you" I stop. I don't want people to say "that's not what I was saying thank you about!!" It's nice to see other people have a version of that xD
    • Fires of Transformation (Last post by Senan)
    • I was born in a mountain community and lived in the forest until I was 8 years old. Twice my family had to be evacuated rather quickly as our house was in the path of a wildfire. It is truly terrifying to witness something so destructive. Because of this, we were told as children to never play with matches and prevent fires at all costs. We have developed flame retardant chemicals, sophisticated aircraft and ground apparatus to fight fires from every direction. After 40 years of these public service announcements and efforts to prevent fire from spreading, we are now paying the price for trying to control a natural and necessary process. Had we let nature take its course, we would be dealing with manageable fires every few years or so that would burn up the dead fuel and make room for new growth. Instead, we attacked every fire so aggressively that this fuel piled up for decades. When a fire finally does get out of control now, it does so in a fantastic way. We see catastrophic events that cost lives and hundreds of millions in property damage. Fire is a beautiful part of the natural life cycle of the forest and interfering with this process is causing harm. It's one more example of man trying to control the environment rather than living in harmony with it. When will we learn that nature will always find a way?
    • The Policy of Truth (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Truth is a very malleable animal. I might be someone else after taking a different point of view, having an insight about myself or other people, thinking about how I see things versus how the world sees things, considering how people who dislike me might interpret my actions... but I do not tell untruths. People I interact with understand about me rather quickly that I can come up with fifteen different points of view on a subject before breakfast is served and hold none of them. So I ask people how much they want to know, then attempt to respond to that, or I artfully attempt to withhold as requested. I don't really have much to hide, by my "normal" isn't everyone else's. Anyone who would be frightened away by the events of my past wasn't meant to be anyway, you know? Not everyone is going to roll with your rickshaw.
    • Todays Google Doodle :-) (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • time.com/4320633/google-doodle-sigmund-f...hday-psychoanalysis/ "Today’s Google Doodle celebrates Austrian doctor, and father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, who developed a clinical method for treating mental issues. He would have turned 160 today" Spoiler: Born on May 6, 1856, Freud revolutionized the way we understand the mind, although his approach has generally been abandoned by psychiatrists. Freud famously held sexuality to be at the root of most pathologies of the human brain, placing much emphasis on the Oedipus complex. He also developed the idea of the subconscious mind, which Google picks up on for his birthday doodle. “A dimpled leather couch might be the typical visual associated with Freud and other therapists, but Doodler Kevin Laughlin instead created this iceberg,” Google explains. “With a vast hidden base, the iceberg references the murky depths of the unconscious mind. More importantly, the design draws our eye to the horizon, reminding us how the genius of Freud’s practice rests in the space between doctor and patient, reader and text, human and world.”
    • [Science] - Free will could all be an illusion (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • limitations are a prerequisite for -- identity maybe, to keep it relevant so, for example, just being a human being, requires one to not be a bird - there is a limitation in choice aka a limit of freedom just off the bat in order to exist as an independent entity (so far as we -or I- understand that) so if there is any validity to the idea it has to be accepted as having implicit limits so freedom or free will would not be the ability to take any and every course of action possibly conceivable, but rather to choose between the various options which still remain after recognizing our limitations ----- the experiment which began this discussion iirc postulated that we "change our memories after the fact" -- would it make a difference if we determined right now to make a particular decision under particular circumstances in the future? like if i decide right now that i will definitely (or definitely will NOT) say "thank you" to the next person who posts in this thread, is that evidence of "free will"? or is it enough at least to offer valid counter-point to the experiment?
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Manu)
    • Quote: I have been told, to my face, that the mere fact that I have a penis oppresses women. Literally. Are you sure you weren't standing a little too close to them? :laugh:
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by tzb)
    • “How monotonous our speaking becomes when we speak only to ourselves! And how insulting to the other beings – to foraging black bears and twisted old cypresses – that no longer sense us talking to them, but only about them, as though they were not present in our world…Small wonder that rivers and forests no longer compel our focus or our fierce devotion. For we walk about such entities only behind their backs, as though they were not participant in our lives. Yet if we no longer call out to the moon slipping between the clouds, or whisper to the spider setting the silken struts of her web, well, then the numerous powers of this world will no longer address us – and if they still try, we will not likely hear them." ― David Abram, Becoming Animal: An Earthly Cosmology
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful that I got to spend the morning at a client's today... the office was quiet, the sun was shining through the windows, and I could hear the birds singing. Lovely.
    • Should jedi train in combat? (Last post by Bareus)
    • What i personally believe is that Jedi should be capable of defending someone and themselves, and in what way you want to do that is up to you. Personally i practice martial arts When we speak about "defending Jediism" then i see it so that we should verbally clear up misconceptions and misunderstandings that may give an individual a incorrect view of Jediism. Or correct any incorrect information given about Jediism that may mislead people
    • Graphene, "super material of the future"... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • if anyone hasnt heard of this stuff, its awesome video: if youd rather read, from: www.graphenea.com/pages/graphene#.Vyt4W9IrIdU Spoiler: In simple terms, graphene, is a thin layer of pure carbon; it is a single, tightly packed layer of carbon atoms that are bonded together in a hexagonal honeycomb lattice. In more complex terms, it is an allotrope of carbon in the structure of a plane of sp2 bonded atoms with a molecule bond length of 0.142 nanometres. Layers of graphene stacked on top of each other form graphite, with an interplanar spacing of 0.335 nanometres. It is the thinnest compound known to man at one atom thick, the lightest material known (with 1 square meter coming in at around 0.77 milligrams), the strongest compound discovered (between 100-300 times stronger than steel and with a tensile stiffness of 150,000,000 psi), the best conductor of heat at room temperature (at (4.84±0.44) × 10^3 to (5.30±0.48) × 10^3 W·m−1·K−1) and also the best conductor of electricity known (studies have shown electron mobility at values of more than 15,000 cm2·V−1·s−1). Other notable properties of graphene are its unique levels of light absorption at πα ≈ 2.3% of white light, and its potential suitability for use in spin transport. Bearing this in mind, you might be surprised to know that carbon is the second most abundant mass within the human body and the fourth most abundant element in the universe (by mass), after hydrogen, helium and oxygen. This makes carbon the chemical basis for all known life on earth, so therefore graphene could well be an ecologically friendly, sustainable solution for an almost limitless number of applications. Since the discovery (or more accurately, the mechanical obtainment) of graphene, advancements within different scientific disciplines have exploded, with huge gains being made particularly in electronics and biotechnology already. The problem that prevented graphene from initially being available for developmental research in commercial uses was that the creation of high quality graphene was a very expensive and complex process (of chemical vapour disposition) that involved the use of toxic chemicals to grow graphene as a monolayer by exposing Platinum, Nickel or Titanium Carbide to ethylene or benzene at high temperatures. Also, it was previously impossible to grow graphene layers on a large scale using crystalline epitaxy on anything other than a metallic substrate. This severely limited its use in electronics as it was difficult, at that time, to separate graphene layers from its metallic substrate without damaging the graphene. However, studies in 2012 found that by analysing graphene’s interfacial adhesive energy, it is possible to effectually separate graphene from the metallic board on which it is grown, whilst also being able to reuse the board for future applications theoretically an infinite number of times, therefore reducing the toxic waste previously created by this process. Furthermore, the quality of the graphene that was separated by using this method was sufficiently high enough to create molecular electronic devices successfully. While this research is very highly regarded, the quality of the graphene produced will still be the limiting factor in technological applications. Once graphene can be produced on very thin pieces of metal or other arbitrary surfaces (of tens of nanometres thick) using chemical vapour disposition at low temperatures and then separated in a way that can control such impurities as ripples, doping levels and domain size whilst also controlling the number and relative crystallographic orientation of the graphene layers, then we will start to see graphene become more widely utilized as production techniques become more simplified and cost-effective. Being able to create supercapacitors out of graphene will possibly be the largest step in electronic engineering in a very long time. While the development of electronic components has been progressing at a very high rate over the last 20 years, power storage solutions such as batteries and capacitors have been the primary limiting factor due to size, power capacity and efficiency (most types of batteries are very inefficient, and capacitors are even less so). For example, with the development of currently available lithium-ion batteries, it is difficult to create a balance between energy density and power density; in this situation, it is essentially about compromising one for the other. In initial tests carried out, laser-scribed graphene (LSG) supercapacitors (with graphene being the most electronically conductive material known, at 1738 siemens per meter (compared to 100 SI/m for activated carbon)), were shown to offer power density comparable to that of high-power lithium-ion batteries that are in use today. Not only that, but also LSG supercapacitors are highly flexible, light, quick to charge, thin and as previously mentioned, comparably very inexpensive to produce. Graphene is also being used to boost not only the capacity and charge rate of batteries but also the longevity. Currently, while such materials as silicone are able to store large amounts of energy, that potential amount diminishes drastically on every charge or recharge. With graphene tin oxide being used as an anode in lithium ion batteries for example, batteries can be made to last much longer between charges (potential capacity has increased by a factor of 10), and with almost no reduction in storage capacity between charges, effectively making technology such as electronically powered vehicles a much more viable transport solution in the future. This means that batteries (or capacitors) can be developed to last much longer and at higher capacities than previously realised. Also, it means that electronic devices may be able to be charged within seconds, rather than minute or hours and have hugely improved longevity. Consumers can already purchase graphene-enhanced products to use at home. One company already produces and offers on the market conductive ink (first developed by researchers at the University of Cambridge in 2011). This is made by effectively mixing tiny graphene flakes with ink, enabling you to print electrodes directly onto paper. While this was previously possible by using organic semiconductive ink, the use of graphene flakes makes the printed material vastly more conductive and therefore more efficient. Another use for graphene along similar lines to those mentioned previously is that in paint. Graphene is highly inert and so can act as a corrosion barrier between oxygen and water diffusion. This could mean that future vehicles could be made to be corrosion resistant as graphene can be made to be grown onto any metal surface (given the right conditions). Due to its strength, graphene is also currently being developed as a potential replacement for Kevlar in protective clothing, and will eventually be seen in vehicle manufacture and possibly even used as a building material. As graphene has been proven to be much more efficient at conducting electrons than silicon, and is also able to transfer electrons at much faster speeds (relatively speaking, 1000 kilometres per second, 30 times faster than silicon), in the next few years you will begin to see products from consumer electronics companies, such as Samsung (who have been pouring money into researching the uses of graphene in telecommunications and electronics and have already taken out a huge number of patents concerned with the uses and manufacture of graphene in electronic devices) based on flexible, robust, touchscreen devices such as mobile smartphones and wrist watches. This could mean foldable televisions and telephones and eventually electronic flexible newspapers containing all of the publications you are interested in that can be updated via wireless data transfer. Being extremely translucent, in the coming years you can also expect to be able to fit intelligent (and extremely robust) windows to your home, with (potentially) virtual curtains or displaying projected images of your choice. Combining a few of these aforementioned potential uses, can you imagine car security systems that are connected to the paint on your vehicle? Not only would your car alarm be able to tell you if someone is touching your vehicle, it would be able to record that information and send it to you via your smartphone in real-time. It could also be used to analyse vehicle accidents to determine initial contact patches and resultant consequential energy dispersion. Soon we will begin to see clothing containing graphene-enhanced photovoltaic cells and supercapacitors, meaning that we will be able to charge our mobile telephones and tablet computers in a matter of minutes (potentially even seconds) whilst walking to school or work. We may possibly even see security-orientated clothing offering protection against unwanted contact with the use of electrical discharge. What all this means is that this discovery, made by a physics professor and his PhD student in a laboratory in Manchester, using a piece of graphite and some Scotch tape has completely revolutionised the way we look at potential limits of our abilities as scientists, engineers and inventors. The possibilities of what we can achieve with the materials and knowledge we have, have been blown wide open, and it is now conceivable to imagine such amazing prospective situations as lightning fast, yet super-small computers, invisibility cloaks, smart phones that last weeks between charges, and computers that we can fold up and carry in our pockets wherever we go. im at campus and i am finally done with finals, so i have a bunch of time to post right now i prefer not to link to wikipedia but i think this is ok its a(n impressive) list of potential uses en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_applications_of_graphene i first heard of it from an article about body armor www.newscientist.com/article/dn26626-bul...-strong-body-armour/ or if you prefer: the highest caliber they use in this vid is a 45 but there is another from the same channel where they hit the graphene with an ak47
    • A Childhood memory (Last post by Prelalo)
    • When I was younger there wasn't a day that I didn't get dirty, I was able test my limitations, what creek beds I could jump across, how fast I could run through a wooded area before I would run into a tree, how long I could hold my breath. I remember one occasion during physical education in school a fellow classmate had vomited, while the students and the gym teacher were waiting on the janitor I decided to get the broom and clean up the mess after a couple minutes of laughter and gross comments the most miraculous thing happened, one student grabbed the dustpan and another grabbed a trash can. That was the first time I was ever proud of myself and it was all because I just wanted to play with my fellow classmates.

There are 163 visitors, 4 guests and 32 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, Firewolf, J_Roz, Trisskar, Lightstrider, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Lykeios, Kit, Avalonslight, tzb, Rick D, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Aqua, Loudzoo, Adi, Korvus, Tellahane, Bareus, MadHatter, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Jax_Elk, robdegrey, Jamie Kay, WralaValel, Volk, Jedi Traceur, The Coyote, Dalroth.

Follow Us