Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Defining Jedi and Sith (Last post by Rex)
    • Quote: By saying what one is not, by logical conclusion, one is also defining what they are. To say one is not a Jedi, however, does not by rights mean they are a Sith. Vice versa is true also. So you are right, many are between... but perhaps only because Jediism (and Sithism) is reflective of many other belief systems also, given that they are, to some extent, syncretic. We pick and choose our values here anyway, seems sensible one would with Jediism also. You nailed it on the head, I wrote this post almost hoping for the temple to have a buzzfeed-eque 10 things sith do list. Also, I completely agree that Jediism is by nature inclusive/syncretic whereas Sith (as far as I understand) is not, but rather agonistic. Quote: I used to try and define myself with many labels; I realised very recently that some of these labels were contradictory to some (though never to me). It's quite difficult to explain to others how I reconciled Jediism, Satanism and Quakerism. Now I don't bother labelling myself because in doing so I reduce what I am to a few (all of them misunderstood) words, none of which can really adequately describe myself. Nobody actually needs the labels 'Jedi' and 'Sith'... and as you quite rightly pointed out, they aren't really apples and oranges. It's not really about 'making oneself believe' anything... one is or one isn't what they are, words are irrelevant in that respect really, it's often others that attempt to define them. Jediism and Satanism are both incredibly broad categories. You define your worldview as elements of those 3, since I would argue they cannot all be reconciled by traditional thought. Similarly, I took this exercise to examine how many Jedi hold a melded form of the temple's dogma with many other outside (not fully compatible) beliefs. The cognitive dissonance caused by examining the Temple's doctrine against other influences helps mature any adherent's paradigm. Quote: Do they really need unification? Have you asked them what they think? Why do they need a hierarchy? No, they don't. I wrote this hoping for some Sith to chime in and point me towards new/better material. Sithism, as I understand, focuses on introverted growth which doesn't leave much room for the hassle of codifying beliefs and creating a practical system like the Temple. Thank you for your well-written points Quote: "We don't see the need to have it written" Your responses have seemed a tad acrid and imply finality. I understand if you believe you are the end-all be-all of what adjectives you self-ascribe, but that's a wee bit reminiscent of Sith doctrine. You don't have to be one or the other, I just would argue that you can't describe yourself as a Jedi when the alternatives aren't fully hashed out (and neither is Jediism for that matter). Individual policy calls (excluding death penalty and democracy) aren't in the temple's dogma, so that's really each individual's call. At the same time, you can't say you're 100% Jedi, if you're not. I by no stretch of the definition, am a Jedi, and so this post arose out of my interest in seeing how many other people were only nominally Jedi. Please keep it civil and continue responding
    • Why silence is often the best response to a verbal... (Last post by Entropist)
    • Quote: The title claims that silence is *often* the best response. Which means that there are situations when it isn't. And I gave a personal situation where silence was the best response. Why are you so focused on arguing that silence is never the answer? Which post number did you think had reasons that proved why silence was the best response in the given example? I ask because there wasn't any justification or rationale why silence was the best response to the example, rather the example was begged. I need to know which post number to reply to in order to substitute this response with.
    • Is offending a group of people always bad? (Last post by Entropist)
    • Quote: I am well aware of what the word means. So, I am guessing that for some reason you are suggesting that has something to do with what I wrote? :blink: Wrong guess. Identifying a culture by generalisation with an undesired practice is dehumanisation because of the erasure of individuality. Quote: I believe that torcher is bad.... I would want to stop animals from being tortured... My emotions would want me to do something about it right then and there, so I could get in trouble if I acted on emotion alone... And I have a hard time thinking of an argument that would persuade people that a very old custom goes against what I believe... The above demonstrates what to do to oppose an undesirable practice without committing offensive dehumanisation; by way of generalisation to erase individuality, and persist prejudice on an entire populace, for an isolated place during a specific circumstance of famine during the world war. To change topic from offensive remarks to torture, which is an old and outdated custom; is different to the misapplied situation to identify a whole ethinicity by generalisation, thereby committing dehumanisation. Meaning the last sentence of the above reply, reverts back to beg the question, and undermines what should have been said in the first place. Quote: It is a simple concept. But like most things, it is only simple at face value. Tell me... can you decide what is fair so that all will agree? And furthermore, what if there is no one to compensate? IE, they are dead and leave behind no family, friends or loved ones? And what if compensation is not the answer but reconciliation is desired? They are close but not the same. And what is to detour one from wronging another a second time? Or more times. Justice is simple for people that develop the virtue of character, and difficult for people that have the virtue of character underdeveloped. I think the appropriate thread is good reason to beg these questions elsewhere. Quote: From a previous post, it appeared as though you were acusing me of dehuminization. This simple concept of justice, by what appears to be your standard, I could claim you have wronged me. Where is my fair compensation? :P ;) You could if you can support the claim with truth and good reasoning, otherwise begging the question proves the claim was never there to begin with.
    • Is belief in democracy required of a Jedi? (RELEVE... (Last post by Entropist)
    • Quote: Hey, I resemble that remark :P Market forces dictate both competitive edge and profit margins, but I could argue market longevity requires profit margins more then competitive edge, but both demonstrate my point anyway. It is the market forces which are actions of the free choice of individual users making decisions which impact more systematic decisions within producers and suppliers. Even if a product has a competitive edge it is irrelevant unless it sells. I was just trying to explain my point rather then point our your counter seemed largely irrelevant. Being, that the sales drive the product lifespan, and sales are the activity of a free market where market share determines success (for whatever reason). That was the example I used to highlite the action of democracy, which I also linked to government to help make it seem more relevant and my point clearer. Nothing you've said counters my points from what I can tell. Anyone can argue situations and relationships which undermine the action of democracy, no-one is suggesting its perfect, but it seems to be missing the point about its benefits and why these might be applicable to a preferred approach over other approaches. Every approach will have its own inconsistencies, so I don't think the discussion is trying to suggest any one is ideal. I beg your pardon for cutting without opportunity to further support the analogy. But using the analogy may be off the topic of democracy, so let's de-identify the analogy, and focus on the elements within the analogy that matter because they are the crux of the discussion. For example, free choice is not in the equation of democracy, and certainly not the practice. In fact the benefits is the suppression of free choice to capitalise on the status quo by manipulation of number, which is an argumentum ad populum fallacy. Therefore, the belief of capitalising on status quo with democracy by a Jedi is highly questionable and highly unreasoned.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Super excited for the constant reminder that no matter how much effort I put in, I will always be an outsider, I have done exactly nothing of worth here, and no matter how much I change people will never give me a chance to be different. All that matters is who I was when I first walked in. YAY! Thanks TotJO!
    • Your Jedi Rituals (Last post by Lleiffermawr)
    • Greetings, As a student of psychology, I understand that many people need ritual to help change their state of consciousness. They may need it to instill a calm and peace that goes deeper than a few breaths and the recitation of the Code. Rituals are as old as time and help not only the individual but the community as a whole. Knowing that there are a few things besides a name and a basic philosophy that holds you together can be very inspiring. Some of the most ancient rituals of course revolve around Rites of Passage, including coming of age. There are sometimes rituals for new beginnings such as Initiations (to start something), or becoming an Elder (whether due to age or due to respect for one's knowledge and wisdom). Sometimes these rituals are to achieve some goal (such as in the case of folk magic or even the rites of the Catholic Church). Rituals can be highly personal, as well as collective. They can help to tap into the Collective Unconsciousness of one's ancestors and even mankind at large. I have a long history in the Current of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, as well as having spent much time working in Wicca and Traditional Witchcraft (Heathenry). I have noticed that the more in depth the ritual, the deeper I go within myself, and I can feel connection with All That Is (the Unifying Living Force) greater than the simple Circle Casting and Invocation I found in my previous Coven. Some people find Rituals to be constricting, and this can indeed happen. While in some ways, I need such, I recognize that this is indeed a crutch, and some day, I will be able to move away from it. I would be very interested in collective based rituals for the Temple of the Jedi Order itself, would help to inspire a sense of community.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful to the previous gentleman for all of his help :) One day I will have felt like I've said it enough times (or maybe not!).
    • Your Jedi Reading List (Last post by MadHatter)
    • To mark International Jedi Day I am going to post my reading list that I have read or is in my to read queue that I feel has helped or will help me on my path. Please feel free to add your own Hatters Reading List * George Washingtons Rules of Civility and Behavior * Open your mind Open your life (Taro Gold) * Essential Zen ( Kazuaki Tanahashi) * Zen Flesh Zen Bones ( Paul Reps) * The Code of the Samuria (Thomas Cleary) * Zen in the Martial Arts ( Joe Hyams) * Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) * The Tao of Jeet Jun Do (Bruce Lee) * The Jedi Compass ( Multiple Authors) * Living the Martial Way (Maj. Forrest E. Morgan) * The Jedi Path ( Chronicle Books) * Zen Mind Beginner's Mind ( Shunryu Suzuki) These are listed in no order other then reading off of my bookshelf. I would love to see your own lists and to share thoughts on the merits of anything listed.
    • International Jedi Day - May 25th! (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Dagon sent me a message as well: 1) Miss_Leah's idea, only with a more flexible time frame for those who wished to pursue larger projects (or people like me who have to work on the holiday). 2) build a kite from scratch and fly it on the holiday, similar to the tradition in Bermuda of doing the same on Easter Sunday. The idea is that we are all doing it together in widely different areas is very unifying (and in my opinion, the whole point of traditions). I love the kite thing... I might do that too :)
    • Boulimia and sugar (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: ...dont quote me but i think we are the only ones who drink other animals milk. i love yochurt ... s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/10/...71548a8d29d8b3db.jpg
    • Jedi wisdom meme (Last post by MadHatter)
    • This is a meme thread dedicated to wisdom on the Jedi Path. It will seem familiar to those that are frequent visitors to the Temple Facebook page. Ill get us going but I hope to see your Jedi memes on this day dedicated to Jediism and the Path we walk here at the Temple. [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • Simple Gifts (Last post by Joda Sett)
    • Another breath The way the clouds area set ablaze at sunrise The warmth of my daughter’s lips on my cheek A clear summer night Getting lost in the sea of stars to Holt’s “The Planets” The aroma of an open fire Dogwoods in bloom A rainbow of blossoms in the orchards Fresh honey Crisp autumn air A hayride to the pumpkin patch through a colorful forest The bountiful harvest lay out on the dinner table Dancing flakes, drifting to a blanket of white The piercing winter winds The soft glow of lights on the tree A serene sunset The way the beams glisten upon the distant leaves The softness of my furry companion’s coat against me

There are 810 visitors, 2 guests and 18 members online (one in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Firewolf, Adder, Alexandre Orion, Khaos, Whyte Horse, Cabur Senaar, Atticus509, Korvus, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, MadHatter, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, FAT, KerianTi, CableSteele, academic_observer.

Follow Us