Catholic Church

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #148938 by
Catholic Church was created by
I'm a Catholic, I pray everyday, I feel sorry for those who doesn't. I meditate also. I've heard that pray is speaking to God, meditating is listening God. I'm interested in the Jedi path because I don't feel satisfied with tha Catholic faith, it's rare seeing really commited people, devoted to God. I don't know if I can be a Jedi Christian, because of the violence associated to Jedi. One thing I'm shure, I want to be better everyday, I'm observing people and listen some conversations, in search of partners of this goal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 9 months ago #148940 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Catholic Church
Hello Pedroky...:)

I promise, this is a conversation, and not me attacking you...;)

I would also like to say that I am an Ex-Catholic, and left the church physically as a teenager, and mentally as an adult...

I would like to comment on this statement of yours:

I don't know if I can be a Jedi Christian, because of the violence associated to Jedi.

You can be whatever you want to be...:)

To associate "the violence of the Jedi" with all Jedi (and you must not have delved too far into the ideals of MOST Jedi) is to associate all Catholics with the more unsavory aspects of the Catholic Church...

As Jedi, we dont "lump" people into groups (as much as we can help it), and especially the negative connotations...

And, being "violent"for the sake of "violence" goes against what many of us here believe....

++++++++++++++++++

Dont worry about others not praying...

I promise, they are not thinking you are silly for talking to an imaginary person...

You are not judged by a true Jedi for your belief... I believe God/Jesus said the same thing...;)

We all have our coping mechanisms to get through life...:)

++++++++++++++++++++

I left the Catholic faith, because I too, was unsatisfied with the way it was represented by those in the church...

By the lack of answers provided to me by the leadership...

And, the judgmental attitude I received by asking my questions...

But, thats just me, :)....

Without challenging you, I wonder if, in your heart, you are still a Catholic...

A "true" Catholic trusts in God, and doesnt question his word... As I was told...

According to some, becasue you question it, you would not be considered one...

Me, personally, you call yourself one, so why would I say you are not? lol...

As I already said, "You can be what ever you want to be....", but, I am here to help you ask yourself questions, to get better answers for yourself....

Im looking for mine too...;)

If you see this as an attack I apologize, let me know, and I will stop the conversation from my side...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit, Kohadre,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #148941 by
Replied by on topic Catholic Church

I don't know if I can be a Jedi Christian, because of the violence associated to Jedi.

:/

I'm really sorry to tell you this, Pedroky, but more people have killed in the name of Catholicism than in the name of Jedi.

That statement actually makes me mad, because it seems like you are denying the whole history (factual) of the Catholic Church, and accepting the fictional history of the Jedi.

Now, does that mean being a Catholic is a bad thing? No. Why? Because YOU, as a Catholic, do not believe in violence (as an ethical system). You practice nonviolence. And, that IS preached in Catholicism.

So, your Catholic beliefs show you the hypocrisy of the history of humanity. You see that humans are flawed, and we sometimes do not act with the highest ethical integrity.

The same is true for Jediism. Because the Doctrine says: "Respect life in all forms", we also believe in nonviolence. The Jedi from the films were part of a time in Jedi history when nonviolence was almost not on the table. They chose to be war leaders in the name of keeping the peace... and as such became enslaved to the dark side. If you will read the Thrawn Trilogy, you might see Jedi nonviolence in action. Luke Skywalker, in his battles with a Jedi Master, ends up choosing the high ground, even in his temptations from the darkness within him.

Choosing nonviolence is not reliant on being Jedi or Catholic. It is a part of both faiths/ways of life. But, as humans are not perfect creatures, we do not always make the wisest choices.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #148959 by
Jedi Christian,
We have no god only the Force to bind us all, we respect all Gods,

violence associated to Jedi.
We do not fight but only defend. Violence leads to the dark side, see the films about the Jedi as a bible full of tails and observations, and remember the conception of the Jedi religion must have come before the film.

Jedi can not convert you... you will need to decide your own path to us : )
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

More
9 years 9 months ago #149021 by SilverWolf
Replied by SilverWolf on topic Catholic Church
Growing up, 90% of my extented family was Catholic, or Irish Catholic....

My Parents took me to a Baptist church, I went to sunday school until I was about 10 years old, then my parents stopped going to church, I never knew why...but I always believed that there was more to what people were saying about some of God's Laws ( example: I tried to get my newborn son "blessed" but no church would because I (1) was not married, (2) I was not baptized in their church, and not a member. I believe that God or Jesus would not hold those things against someone wanting to bless a child. I WAS baptized in a Pentacostal church years ago, but never really fit in. It is a misconception that jedi are violent, if they truly were, then these wouldn't be found :"There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
The peace and justice of the Galaxy will be guarded, and all life in any form is and will be respected.
For my ally is the Force, and I use its powers to serve and protect the innocent from evil. I seek
goodness, and defend it from the Dark Side. I have dedicated my life to the Truth, I am the Light -
I am JEDI" - The Jedi Code

1. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, never for attack. Your lightsaber cannot
solve problems, only prevent them. Seek peaceful solutions.

2. A Jedi uses the Force to serve the Galaxy and its people. Helping them and protecting them
from harm, evil and lies of the Dark Side.

3. Power, fame or fortune we seek not. A Jedi is concerned about the welfare of others, rather
than personal gains, benefits, feelings or interests. Sometimes, wealth or power is needed to achieve
the Jedi's goals. Money is required for the purchase of goods; power is required to obtain the help
of others. To achieve one's goals, a Jedi may obtain wealth or power, but is never interested in it for
its own sake, and will surrender it once those goals are achieved.

4. Adventure.. excitement.. a Jedi craves not these things.

5. Be mindful about your feelings. Fear, anger, agression.. to the Dark Side they lead to, and the Dark
side leads to destruction. Fear leads to anger.. anger leads to hate.. hate leads to suffering. Suffering for
yourself and those arround you.. and eventually, the rest of the Galaxy.

6. Beware of the Dark Side. Hard to see the Dark Side is, it is tempting. Quick, easy at first, but a trap
it is. Corrupting, evil. Once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. For the
Light Side, patience you need. Control. Peace and harmony it is.

7. A Jedi seeks knowledge through the training of spirit and mind.

8. A Jedi have a calm and peaceful mind. To use the Force, the Jedi must remain at harmony with it. To act
in dissonance depletes one's power. Don't center on your anxiety... Keep your concentration here and now
where it belongs.

9. Be mindful of the living Force and the unifying Force.

10. killing is wrong. When you kill, you commit a crime against the Force. Though you may know that you do
so for the greater good, and the greater good justifies your act, you must also know that the death remains as
a stain upon your spirit. To kill is wrong. Yet it is sometimes necessary to kill. The Jedi may kill in self defense
or the defense of others. You may only kill if by doing so, life is preserved.

11. The Force is a powerfull ally. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous
beings are we... not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you... me... the tree...
the rock... everywhere

I also must add that saying Jedi are violent , is like saying Halloween was created to celebrate Satan, here is what I gotta say about that, I got this from History channel.com: Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats.

It is by belief you can be either full jedi all the way, or a Hybrid of catholic Jedi, Atheist Jedi, or whatever combination. That is the nice thing about belief, belief has no limits, and i also highly recommend to watch the youtube video of I think it Was Star Wars Episode V : The empire Strikes Back, when Yoda explains the force to luke before he lifts lukes x-wing out of the swamp. That just is not a movie line to me, it is the simplest way to explain faith. So, I believe that if you want to be a catholic Jedi, because that is how you believe...then be Just that. The path of Jediism is not that far off removed from other religions if you look closely at it.....in my opinion....

I apologize if anyone takes offense to what I say
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Amaya,

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #149030 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Catholic Church
I originally wrote a long post detailing some of the horrors perpetuated by the Catholic church and Christianity in general, but it got too long, and I could still continue for pages. It just made me feel resigned and sad.

Suffice to say that I was educated at a convent and brought up Catholic, and many many chunks of history were left out of the curriculum. Perhaps they were embarrassed about the churches shameful violent behavior? Maybe they just didn't want us to know, because we would do exactly what we did when we found out... question it.

Its makes me sad that people follow religion (and charismatic religious leaders) blindly. It makes me sad that people can use something meant to be good to justify their hate,aggression, greed and entitlement.

Too many people have died and do still die in the name of God. Too many are abused, maligned, tortured or made to suffer for it.
Too many shut their eyes and pretend they cant see it.

As for the Jedi being violent... We are not the Jedi in the Star Wars movies.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #149034 by
I do not see any reason you could not hold on to your current beliefs as well as the Jedi beliefs. However, if you find conflict between the two, it is up to you to address the cognitive dissonance. That means you will either have to modify your old beliefs or your new ones until all the pieces fit for you. This is something I have been in the process of since I've arrived here, and can be a whole spiritual journey unto itself.

As far as the violence part. Jedi are not a violent group. I have yet to meet anyone here who would not exhaust every avenue of peace and compassion before resorting to anything resembling force.

At the risk of possibly alienating people whom I consider to be friends, brothers, and sisters. I would like to say that it is not our place to judge the Catholic church, especially when one of it's brothers has found their way to our doorstep. The sordid history of any religion is a good thing to debate, however confronting Pedroky in such an aggressive way is not in the faith of brotherhood. Better for him to see us as a welcoming community of open minded people, rather than an angry mob wronged by religion.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #149036 by Brenna
I'm unclear if your comments were addressed to me, but I'll clarify to avoid any misunderstandings. Tone, I am often reminded does not translate well in text.

I offer no aggression in response. Genuine surprise however that the Jedi could possibly be considered violent in comparison to the Catholic Church.

My response was one of genuine sadness and disappointment after spending some time writing about the sad history of the church. I am tired of seeing people suffer for the sake of religion.

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Codama

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 9 months ago #149037 by Brenna
But now that I'm thinking about it, the conversation is not actually aboutCatholicism or Jediism.

perhaps I should change my statement to Jedi are not violent in comparison to the Catholic Church... Yet.

The commandments preach thou shalt not kill or covet. Thou shall love thy neighbour. Jesus said to turn the other cheek. Preached mercy.

All good things really. Interesting for a belief system in whose name millions have been killed since it's creation.

The religion in itself is not the problem. It is as always the people within it who find justification within their interpretation of religion for wherever it is they want to believe.

The church preaches (and has done for a couple thousand years) many of the same things as Jediism. Who's to say that at some point in the future our descendants won't find a way to justify violence on "non believers"?

People are after all the problem. With our beliefs and bias. Our learned intolerance... Even the original poster who states a factually incorrect belief about the Jedi in comparison to his own religion.

Humans have this nasty habit of creating labels which encourage divides, leads to comparison, then judgement. And we have a talent for finding "evidence" or justification for whatever it is we have chosen to believe. Seldom based on fact.

Maybe religion has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's the fact that as a species we are so busy trying to justify and validate our own existence that we can't even see the labels we attach ourselves to for what they are...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
9 years 9 months ago #149038 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Catholic Church

Brenna wrote: as a species we are so busy trying to justify and validate our own existence that we can't even see the labels we attach ourselves to for what they are...

Yes, trying to have a proper focus might help with that. It reminds me of the entry point (Right View) to the Threefold Division of the Buddhist Noble Eightfold Path.

I'm a solo Catholic, but not a church goer. By that I mean I have elements of it in my path... not many come to think of it. I have my own interpretations mostly LOL.

I agree about the real Jedi not being violent, but I do like the movies... so as Yoda might say (perhaps controversially);

Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh!
A Jedi craves not these things.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Brenna,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi