what makes a jedi?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287511 by
what makes a jedi? was created by
strange question, I know.. but we can choose from over 100 cults and religions, all unique.
but jediism.. what is it that makes a jedi?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287516 by
Replied by on topic what makes a jedi?
Anything could make a Jedi. That's the beauty of it. Although a majority of the Temple ,imo, shares a view of tolerance, respect, knowledge, and service.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287520 by
Every individual walks their own path. What makes us Jedi, in my opinion, is that there are certain places where our paths overlap, or at least travel parallel to other similarly minded people. We share common goals and some common beliefs, many of which are laid out in the Doctrine of TOTJO, but also shared with Jedi outside of these walls. We call these commonly shared aspects of our paths "Jediism" and identify as "Jedi" so that we can more easily share our wisdom and knowledge with each other. We still ultimately walk alone, but it is nice to cross paths with others who are supportive.

In short, when someone identifies as "Jedi" in this community, I understand them to be someone who is on a journey similar to mine and values the pursuit of wisdom and personal growth as I do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287528 by
Patience, adherance to the Doctrine, a willingness to learn, a can do attitude.... and just a pinch of pixie dust. ;)

More
6 years 9 months ago #287530 by Breeze el Tierno
Replied by Breeze el Tierno on topic what makes a jedi?
Fine question, and all the more complex given the audience.

Superficially, what makes one a Jedi is the acceptance of a specific myth, a specific archetype as your way of relating to the world, other people, and what you regard as sacred. You choose the language in which to express your aspirations. This is true of any religious or spiritual path. This language spoke to you more than some others.

Okay, cool. Step 1, managed.

Beyond that, there is the deep commitment, without which one is simply a dabbler and collector of spiritual and pseudo-spiritual trivia. You commit to an active, attentive, immersive relationship with the Force. There is a certain amount of latitude in how you may define that, and thereby how you conduct that relationship, but there it is. And you commit to the service of others, to their safety and wellbeing. You stand by the vulnerable, irrespective of tribe. You cannot fight every fight, and not everyone is best suited to everything. As my father asks me often, “Is this the highest good you can render?” Find the place where you will be most effective and serve there.

As a foundation to this, you commit to the cultivation of your person in order to be the best servant you can be. This process is indispensible for a variety of reasons. If we seek to ‘help’ without a proper understanding of ourselves, our efforts can become just another form of unwelcome control. But, if we stop at the cultivation of the self, without stepping out of ourselves, into the realm of authentic service, we are just arrogant dabblers again. One can be very smart and very clever without being particularly useful.

We make small commitments in the beginning, perhaps. Or we prepare to make them. Then we commit and commit again, keeping our spiritual practice evergreen. It is my personal conviction that a Knight recognizes that their life no longer belongs only to them.

Yes, of course we fall short, or we mean well but cause trouble. And there is a fair degree of flexibility involved. We shouldn’t say, “it can be anything,” but we should support and appreciate the variety of ways one can serve in the world. Look to the significance behind the label. Look t the example of those who make the world kinder and more just. That’s an excellent start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287531 by
To cultivate to your best ability :

Patience, Discipline,Commitment,Dedication, Responsibility, Accountability, Empathy, Compassion, Awareness , Love, Humility , the Three Tenets , Focus , Knowledge and Wisdom ,and a great desire to do the right thing. To become of Service to others.

More
6 years 9 months ago #287532 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic what makes a jedi?
A commitment to better thoughts, better choices & better decisions today than were made yesterday. An acknowledgement that I will, at some point fail, an acknowledgement that fear exists in response to failing, and a persistence to provide the greatest effort I can muster regardless. Also a sincere belief in the Force and a connection to all living things, as well as a willingness to serve and an open mind...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno,

More
6 years 9 months ago #287534 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic what makes a jedi?
Each religion has its own mythology, and each of them has a message.

The Jedi mythology points towards a message of interconnectedness, and by that we are prompted to fight against the Machine that attempts to negate this interconnectedness. The fighting style, however, can never be the same one of the machine (segregation, violence, imposition), lest we become the machine ourselves.

Our aim is freedom. Our method is kindness.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #287544 by

jediskitty wrote: strange question, I know.. but we can choose from over 100 cults and religions, all unique.
but jediism.. what is it that makes a jedi?

A better question might be, what makes a Jedi according to this temple vs what makes a Jedi outside those bounds. Along those lines, there is a distinction between just "Jedi" and "Jedi Knight". If you are looking for qualities that you should aspire to with the goal of becoming a Knight here at this temple, there is a narrow and specific set of criteria that you need to demonstrate. Making this place just another of those 100 or so cults.

My advice, don't depend on the opinion and especially the approval of others. Instead, define the spirituality of jediism as you see fit and then follow that unabashedly!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 9 months ago #287552 by
Its a commitment/lifestyle/way-of-thinking etc that speaks to us. It answers the questions in a meaningful way when we did not hear it from others.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi