Abrahamic Rites Roll Call

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #210281 by
Replied by on topic Abrahamic Rites Roll Call

Leandros Von wrote: So into Google translate I go and I get this....
لبلدي الله هو القوة والله هو القوي
when translating it back however I get...
"God is my strength and God is strong"

Not to cause an argument, BUT, Allah is a name, not a translation of the word "God". If it meant "God" it would translate as "Yahweh", not "Allah".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #268346 by
As a follower of Christ, I stand with this order.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #268380 by OB1Shinobi
i checked this thread to read Ryders post, but this one was right there, so...

Streen wrote: Not to cause an argument, BUT, Allah is a name, not a translation of the word "God". If it meant "God" it would translate as "Yahweh", not "Allah".

theres no argument about it, youre wrong; "God" is exactly what "Allah" means

well it means "THE GOD" as in "the only God that is real" which we as english speakers would simply call "God"

"God" is not a name, it is a title or a position, like "senator"

how many GODS are there in greek mythology?

How many GODS are there who are NAMED "Yahweh"?
this is all common knowledge

20 years! lol

knowing when we are making assumptions and knowing how to confirm or refute our own assumptions is an important part of intellectual development

knowing how to use a search engine to research the terms and ideas that we express is an important part of internet competence

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269276 by
As I have been a Christian my whole life, I do follow this Rite.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277698 by OB1Shinobi

Streen wrote: Not to cause an argument, BUT, Allah is a name, not a translation of the word "God". If it meant "God" it would translate as "Yahweh", not "Allah".

im not trying to cause an argument or to be mean

this is important: Allah is NOT a name, Allah is a translation of the word "god"

Yahweh IS a name, and it is NOT a translation of the word "god"

this kind of mistake is serious: it is equivalent to not understanding the multiplication and/or the addition signs in math

if someone told me that they had been studying math for twenty years but they didnt know the signs for multiplication and addition, and then went on to explain some set of beliefs about math that no one who teaches math anywhere in the world would recognize as being math, i would not consider them a scholar of math, but rather i would say that they have been making up their own ideas about what math is
and since their ideas are not even slightly informed by the established academic understanding of math, its almost certain that the individual has made up some thigns that are simply false

rather than reading the bible and asking "what do i think these stories mean?" or "what do these stories mean TO ME?," actual scholars- people who are genuinely serious about the study of scripture and make it an academic pursuit- begin with the question "what did these stories mean to the people who wrote them?"

if we make up our own interpretations for religious teachings without being even slightly informed of the meanings which were intended by the original authors, then we arent studying an ancient religion, we are inventing a modern one

there is a big difference between studying an existing set of ideas and generating a whole new set of ideas

it is absolutely impossible for a person to seriously study the abrahamic traditions and make the mistake that you made - that yahweh was the tribal name of the ancient hebrews for their war-god/sky-god is something you learn like the first day that you begin to study with people who actually know the history of the bible or torah or koran and the beliefs if the peoples who contributed to these works

you cannot possibly go 20 years with the misconception that you expressed here unless you are doing something SERIOUSLY wrong

this is not an attack on you; this is an invitation for you to step up your game and recognize where you need to improve your understanding

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307918 by
This would seem to be where I am best fitted.

More
2 years 7 months ago #362416 by dunebat
As a Torah-observant Christian, I, too, would be included in this rite. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintances, kindred!

Live long and prosper, and may the Force be with you.

Journals: IP

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi